Re: [GEO-Subscribers] hrpt G5500 rotator

  • Stefano Grassi
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2010
      So,Do you think,Should I change the rotator?Or dish?
      At present my dish is the same that I used for meteosat old generation
      obvioulsly with a different feed (It's the grid dish near the lower
      border of image
      http://www.webalice.it/max4000/r3valsusa/Pagina_2/Satelliti/Satelliti.htm)

      Stefano

      > Stefano,
      >
      > 44.525 is correct. However, as you are experiencing problems at low
      > elevations where the satellites are at much greater range, this is
      > clearly not the cause of your problem. I do not know what else to try.
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > In message <4BD9FFF5.1000705@...
      > <mailto:4BD9FFF5.1000705%40poste.it>>, Stefano Grassi <stefano.grassi-
      > bubo@... <mailto:bubo%40poste.it>> writes
      > >Peter,
      > >I have tried to change my latitude as you said. It seems that better
      > >results for stability of tracking, happens with higher latitude. Are you
      > >sure 44.525 value was correct?
      > >Two days ago, I have used 44,9 (adding 0,2 degrees to my latitude) as
      > >you told me in the first mail and I had a good improvement of reception
      > >specially in low elevations (5/10°).
      > >Please let me know,
      > >
      > >Thank you,Stefano
      >
      > --
      > Peter Wakelin

    • Terence O'Hanlon Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2010
        Stefano,
        one of the more common reasons, for either the azimuth or elevation
        rotator losing calibration, is that the potentiometer, in one or other,
        that controls positioning via voltage has either become worn or suffered
        from the ingress of damp. Replacement is not rocket science, and spares
        are available from agents for the Yeasu/Kenwood G4500 and G5500.

        Additionally, the units seem not to be particularly robust, and a long
        or hard-serving set-up can develop significant backlash in the drive
        gears, which results in greater than ideal movement of the dish from
        point-of-aim when tracking. This can certainly occur where a dish is
        operated automatically for long periods 24/7 and thus unwittingly in
        relatively high winds.

        Any temptation to configure the software to park the dish pointing
        directly upwards between passes should be avoided. Whilst this may
        present the least resistance regardless of wind direction, it causes
        wear on the gearwheel teeth in high winds at the most critical point of
        the operating arc - the overhead. It is better to park the dish at the
        horizon with its edge into the prevailing wind direction.

        If replacing a "pot", do ensure that the positions of all gears and
        components are carefully marked on disassembly, and replaced precisely
        on reassembly. Doing this work offers a perfect opportunity to check the
        bearings of the rotating shafts (particularly for the elevation unit -
        which has poor water-resistance in this area). Corroded bearing cages
        and ball-bearings can be replaced at the same time.

        Sorry if this is all already known to you, but if not it is probably
        worth mentioning.

        Best regards,
        Terence.