Re: [GCDSR) Pre-ride Wed. 5/16 Re: May 2012 Ride - Sunday 5/27

  • Ingo Cyliax
    Message 1 of 15 , May 15, 2012
      oh, bummer working that day and I will be out of town for the actual ride.
      sorry to miss these.

      -ingo

      + A few of us are pre-riding the route Wed. 5/16. If you'd like to join in, t=
      + hen text or e-mail me so we can meet up. (916)474-9721. So far the plan is =
      + to leave Foresthill Starbucks at 10am. -Michele
      +
      + --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@...> wrote=
      + :
      + >
      + >=20
      + > This month's ride is "Michele's Malakoff Re-Run". We meet at Foresthill
      + > Starbucks (13345 Lincoln Way, Auburn, CA=E2=80=8E) at 8:45 for a 9:00
      + > departure. Duc is leading and Michele is sweeping.
      + >=20
      + >=20
      + > Same route from the June 2009 and 2010 rides.=20
      +
      +
      +
      + ------------------------------------
      +
      + This exciting activity of dual sporting is not without risk. Please rememb=
      + er to ride your own ride, and if you feel you are in over your head, STOP, =
      + and turn around. Don't forget to check the calendar for upcoming events. M=
      + ake sure you update your Yahoo profile to show your first name, or nick nam=
      + e. This way it is easier to see who you are. See you on the trails....
      +
      + Yahoo! Groups Links
      +
      +
      +
    • Michele & Duc
      Message 2 of 15 , May 15, 2012
        Geez Matthew. You were on this ride in 2010, remember we were grossing people out talking about EMT and nursing stuff like using a cath so we wouldn't have to get off the bikes?

        --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "matthew" <focallength@...> wrote:

        > Maybe, if I dont work, street or dirt ride?
        >
        > --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@> wrote:
        > >
        > > A few of us are pre-riding the route Wed. 5/16. If you'd like to join in, then text or e-mail me so we can meet up. (916)474-9721. So far the plan is to leave Foresthill Starbucks at 10am. -Michele
        > >
        > > --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > This month's ride is "Michele's Malakoff Re-Run". We meet at Foresthill
        > > > Starbucks (13345 Lincoln Way, Auburn, CA‎) at 8:45 for a 9:00
        > > > departure. Duc is leading and Michele is sweeping.
        > > >

        > > > Same route from the June 2009 and 2010 rides.

      • matthew
        Message 3 of 15 , May 16, 2012
          Ok, thats a good ride, unfortunately I have to work today sorry.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 16, 2012
            Kudos to Zac Dollarhide for pre-riding today. Gotta give that kid a hand
            for carrying a gallon of gas in his backpack all the way to Malakoff!
            Here's the pre-ride report:

            * Placer Hills road from Auburn to Colfax has a 30mi/hr speed limit most
            of the way. It's very scenic, but if you want to start closer to dirt,
            then meet at Colfax Chevron 9:45 for 10:00 departure. 400 S Canyon Way,
            Colfax 95713

            * This ride is long and leisurely. If you want to go faster and know the
            route, you're welcome to ride ahead, but we will only account for people
            between the leader and sweep. In previous years, there were lost and
            injured people and it wasn't because of my brownies!

            * Chalk bluff starts out well graded and freshly gravelled, likely from
            a recent forest fire. Midway, there are a few mud slicks remaining, one
            of which Zac probably wishes he had not tried to ride through today. In
            past years, these are fun spots for the skilled riders to play in and
            entertain the rest of us. One of the slicks is the only time I've ever
            seen Wheelie John drop his bike. After the slicks, there are sections
            with sizable ruts.

            * We put in a 7hr day for 143 mi round trip. Expect the ride day to be
            longer to account for the usual setbacks.
            * Time from Auburn to Colfax Chevron 35min with a few road work stops.
            (~15mi)
            * Time from Colfax Chevron to end of Chalk Bluff is 1hr 20 min with a
            short puddle wallow. (~24 mi)
            * Time from End of Chalk Bluff to Malakoff is 1hr 15min. (~17 mi)
            * After lunch at Malakoff, everyone can pair up to either find their
            favorite routes home or some folks head up to Graniteville to play on
            the trails.
            * I will collect donations for the park fee. I don't expect them to
            charge us per vehicle the way they do cars. GCDSR does not charge for
            rides, we're all volunteers. I'm happy to make the donation for our
            visit since I chose the location, but anything you care to contribute is
            appreciated.

            Hope to see many of you on 5/27. Sorry we'll miss a few people for the
            long weekend. The 27th is the only day I had open to do this.

            wrote:
            > This month's ride is "Michele's Malakoff Re-Run". We meet at
            Foresthill
            > Starbucks (13345 Lincoln Way, Auburn, CA) at 8:45 for a 9:00
            > departure. Duc is leading and Michele is sweeping.
            >
            > Same route from the June 2009 and 2010 rides. Here are some Google
            Maps
            > links to sections of the ride. Google doesn't show Chalk Bluff going
            all
            > the way through from Red Dog to Hwy 20, so I've broken the route into
            3
            > smaller pieces. Duc posted a file "GCDSR June 2010 ride.gpx" in the
            > left menu Files/GPS Files. This ride is "Bring Your Own Everything",
            > water, snacks, lunch. Our lunch stop is at Malakoff Diggins State
            Park.

            > The last gas stop before hitting dirt is Colfax Chevron, from there
            it's
            > about 90 miles back to Nevada City. We'll be taking a scenic route
            from
            > Auburn to Colfax to avoid the freeway. Colfax Chevron: 400 S Canyon
            Way,
            > Colfax 95713.

            See original post for Google maps links to sections of the route.
          • Michele & Duc
            Message 5 of 15 , May 27, 2012
              So much for a leisurely, uneventful ride with Michele leading. We had pudding mud to slog through on Chalk Bluff, a mud-impacted front fender causing tire lockup, a flat tire, and a bicycle vs. DRZ collision on Relief Hill Rd. Thanks Duc for taking everyone on scenic excursions that were NOT part of the route while waiting for the sweep to catch up. Everyone seemed to enjoy the day despite the challenges. Dale, your daughter deserves something special for walking ~3 mi uphill in the mud so you could slog the V-Strom through solo. Special thanks to Wheelie John for saving the day dis-impacting the fender and catching up to Duc to get everybody back on course. We'll just keep doing this ride every year until we can get through without incident, or just deem this route cursed and ban it from GCDSR.

              -BMW/DRZ Michele & Duc
            • Ingo Cyliax
              Message 6 of 15 , May 28, 2012
                I don't know, sounds like an awesome adventure to me (well, except any
                kind of collisions with bicycles, etc...). I'm actually, sorry I missed
                this one.

                -ingo

[...]
              • RobertWichert
                Message 7 of 15 , May 28, 2012
                  Well, I can vouch for the mud.  There was lots of mud and lots of slipping and sliding and a little paddling too.  It was challenging for me, but it was great and I would do it again tomorrow!  But I need some rest first, which is why I bailed out early.

                  Thanks to Michelle and Duc for a great ride!

                  Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
                  +1 916 966 9060
                  FAX +1 916 966 9068

[...]

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 28, 2012
                    Hey does anyone have a GPS track of this ride they can post up. I want to try it out next weekend as I have yet to make this ride.

                    Sounds like it was quite the adventure!!

                    Frank
                    Husaberg570s

                    --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@...> wrote:

                    > So much for a leisurely, uneventful ride with Michele leading. We had pudding mud to slog through on Chalk Bluff, a mud-impacted front fender causing tire lockup, a flat tire, and a bicycle vs. DRZ collision on Relief Hill Rd. Thanks Duc for taking everyone on scenic excursions that were NOT part of the route while waiting for the sweep to catch up. Everyone seemed to enjoy the day despite the challenges. Dale, your daughter deserves something special for walking ~3 mi uphill in the mud so you could slog the V-Strom through solo. Special thanks to Wheelie John for saving the day dis-impacting the fender and catching up to Duc to get everybody back on course. We'll just keep doing this ride every year until we can get through without incident, or just deem this route cursed and ban it from GCDSR.
                    >
                    > -BMW/DRZ Michele & Duc

                  • Kenneth Theriault
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 28, 2012
                      Thanks Michele & Duc for leading/sweeping/brownie'G.....!
                      Had a fantastic mud-fest for a ride.  I posted some pics from my GoPro camera that I thought would capture the experience. Forgive the order that they might be in, cause they didn't upload in the right order. Hopefully I can mount my GoPro somewhere that doesn't always show my dash. Still experimenting on a good camera angle(s).

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On May 27, 2012, at 6:46 PM, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@...> wrote:

                      So much for a leisurely, uneventful ride with Michele leading. We had pudding mud to slog through on Chalk Bluff, a mud-impacted front fender causing tire lockup, a flat tire, and a bicycle vs. DRZ collision on Relief Hill Rd. Thanks Duc for taking everyone on scenic excursions that were NOT part of the route while waiting for the sweep to catch up. Everyone seemed to enjoy the day despite the challenges. Dale, your daughter deserves something special for walking ~3 mi uphill in the mud so you could slog the V-Strom through solo. Special thanks to Wheelie John for saving the day dis-impacting the fender and catching up to Duc to get everybody back on course. We'll just keep doing this ride every year until we can get through without incident, or just deem this route cursed and ban it from GCDSR.

                      -BMW/DRZ Michele & Duc

                    • Dale
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                        Frank, this is the track I think we used, saved in Files, GPS folder, "GCDSR June 2010 ride". Even with this week of warm weather, there should still be some mud puddles left. It was quite the struggle on my Strom and a co-pilot. I was paddling up a gravel rut, because front tire wasn't spinning, and apparently there was enough rock in the rut for me to do(in my daughter's words) an "epic smokey burnout!" Have fun :)

                        Dale

                        --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <wesle616@...> wrote:

                        > Hey does anyone have a GPS track of this ride they can post up. I want to try it out next weekend as I have yet to make this ride.
                        >
                        > Sounds like it was quite the adventure!!
                        >
                        > Frank
                        > Husaberg570s
                        >
                        > --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So much for a leisurely, uneventful ride with Michele leading. We had pudding mud to slog through on Chalk Bluff, a mud-impacted front fender causing tire lockup, a flat tire, and a bicycle vs. DRZ collision on Relief Hill Rd. Thanks Duc for taking everyone on scenic excursions that were NOT part of the route while waiting for the sweep to catch up. Everyone seemed to enjoy the day despite the challenges. Dale, your daughter deserves something special for walking ~3 mi uphill in the mud so you could slog the V-Strom through solo. Special thanks to Wheelie John for saving the day dis-impacting the fender and catching up to Duc to get everybody back on course. We'll just keep doing this ride every year until we can get through without incident, or just deem this route cursed and ban it from GCDSR.
                        > >
                        > > -BMW/DRZ Michele & Duc

                      • Frank
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 31, 2012
                          Thanks Dale. Just gota spoon on a new tire and I'll go check it out on Sunday.

                          Frank

                          --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <rdeckhardt@...> wrote:

                          > Frank, this is the track I think we used, saved in Files, GPS folder, "GCDSR June 2010 ride". Even with this week of warm weather, there should still be some mud puddles left. It was quite the struggle on my Strom and a co-pilot. I was paddling up a gravel rut, because front tire wasn't spinning, and apparently there was enough rock in the rut for me to do(in my daughter's words) an "epic smokey burnout!" Have fun :)
                          >
                          > Dale
                          >

                          > --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <wesle616@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hey does anyone have a GPS track of this ride they can post up. I want to try it out next weekend as I have yet to make this ride.
                          > >
                          > > Sounds like it was quite the adventure!!
                          > >
                          > > Frank
                          > > Husaberg570s
                          > >
                          > > --- In GCDSR@yahoogroups.com, "Michele & Duc" <michele.blackwell@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > So much for a leisurely, uneventful ride with Michele leading. We had pudding mud to slog through on Chalk Bluff, a mud-impacted front fender causing tire lockup, a flat tire, and a bicycle vs. DRZ collision on Relief Hill Rd. Thanks Duc for taking everyone on scenic excursions that were NOT part of the route while waiting for the sweep to catch up. Everyone seemed to enjoy the day despite the challenges. Dale, your daughter deserves something special for walking ~3 mi uphill in the mud so you could slog the V-Strom through solo. Special thanks to Wheelie John for saving the day dis-impacting the fender and catching up to Duc to get everybody back on course. We'll just keep doing this ride every year until we can get through without incident, or just deem this route cursed and ban it from GCDSR.
                          > > >
                          > > > -BMW/DRZ Michele & Duc

                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2012
                            Ok so I tried to do Michele's route, boy I bet you guys had some mud. well it's pretty much all dried up now except a couple of puddles. I goofed on my fuel stop so when I hit hwy 20 I went up to Donner/Soda springs, got gas and rode back via soda springs road into forest hill. Luckily soda springs is now open. There had been a bunch of very large trees that were blocking the road that are now cleared out.
                            perfect day for a ride and that loop turned out to be a cool little ride.

                            Frank