Re: surprised and disappointed- Upon further reflection...

  • peteroffers@home.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2000
      After doing a little more research into the idea of sharing Greg
      music digitally, and hearing from a friend, I also came to the
      realization that we may not be ready for such a venture right now.

      For one, I learned that the filesizes of the compressed "shorten"
      format (which would preserve CD quality) are still large enough
      (about 800 Mb for a two-disc show) to make downloading feasible only
      for users with high-speed Internet access, which probably isn't the
      majority of our group. And it was pointed out to me that it may be a
      hassle to split up and manage concerts as separate files. Plus, the
      moral and potential legal entanglements of putting Greg material on
      the web would always be lingering in the background. I wasn't too
      comfortable with that thought myself. db's message initially got my
      wheels turning to see what was possible, but it seems like we're not
      quite there yet. (Besides, trading files digitally might lose some
      of the human element that makes this group special. Hard to wrap a
      digital datastream in an artfully embellished handmade package.)
      Apologies for my previous long-winded message- just exploring the
      idea...

      Pete
    • Shirley Cottle
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
        Thanks, Pete, for doing the footwork on finding out how the music
        downloading deal would actually work. Despite having a 56K modem in my
        computer, it connects at 24.4, I'm told, because of my inadequate phone
        line - so I knew it wouldn't work for me. But I didn't realize how big
        those files would be. Very helpful to have some actual data to
        consider. Thanks again.

        Shirley