Re: [GBrown-L] First heard Greg...

  • Jan Brattain
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2012
      Not sure if I responded to your earlier email regarding the Pearl Jam song.  You ought to send the suggestion to Greg, over at his web site.  He might enjoy considering a new song for his repertoire.  Can't hurt.  It is a great song.

      I first heard Greg on A Prairie Home companion also, which I still listen to religiously, even though Greg hasn't been on in years.  Iris is on occasionally.  I have heard the story Greg tells about him and Garrison discussing writing the song together, Slow Food.  It is funny!  they are both such great story tellers.

      Thanks for starting a good discussion topic.  Even pulled our Aussie friend out of the woodwork with a comment!

      Jan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
        I'm pretty sure I first heard Greg (Good morning coffee) on the morning folk show on WERS in Boston in the mid-80s. But I didn't get hooked until '88 when I was living out west. One wintry night my roommate dragged home two ( very cute) women who needed a place to stay. One of them had a tape of In the Dark and that was it - that's when I climbed aboard the Brown bus!

        Iver

        Sent from my iPad

        On Feb 28, 2012, at 11:04 PM, Jan Brattain <jan2bratt@...> wrote:

        > Not sure if I responded to your earlier email regarding the Pearl Jam song. You ought to send the suggestion to Greg, over at his web site. He might enjoy considering a new song for his repertoire. Can't hurt. It is a great song.
        >
        > I first heard Greg on A Prairie Home companion also, which I still listen to religiously, even though Greg hasn't been on in years. Iris is on occasionally. I have heard the story Greg tells about him and Garrison discussing writing the song together, Slow Food. It is funny! they are both such great story tellers.
        >
        > Thanks for starting a good discussion topic. Even pulled our Aussie friend out of the woodwork with a comment!
        >
        > Jan
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Ricardo DeBacker
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
          One of the better things about living in Montana in the 70s & 80s was Gus Chambers on Montana Public Radio. Gus was great about playing the 'commercially challenged' artists on his show- and then on Sunday you'd get more Greg on Prairie Home Companion. I wonder if Gus is still doing his thing? Jd

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
            I first saw Greg with Ani Difranco at Carnegie Hall in NYC probably in
            the late 90's, I must have missed his opening set, but he came on at the
            end of the show and performed "Untouchable Face" with her. I've always
            loved that song she was playing it on the first tour I saw her on in
            1992. They clearly got along and seemed to really enjoy playing
            together. When I went back to work and told a friend I'd seen Greg
            Brown with Ani, she was really excited and loaned me "Further in", I was
            hooked, I've seen Greg perform in about 5-6 different states from the
            east coast to California. Its been about two years since my last show...
            I'm definitely overdue. Sometime in the early 2000's I saw Greg in a
            dinner theater setting at the Town Crier Cafe in NY state. He played
            "Untouchable Face" and followed it up with "Vivid" a song he said Ani
            had written for him after he'd brought her a bouquet of wild flowers
            when they were performing at a festival together.
            Thanks for the topic.
            Take care
            -Noelle

          • canubike@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
              I can remember it clearly. It was the spring of 1984 and I was at a conference in Iowa City. Some of my colleagues and I decided to go out for pizza and beer at a place called, I believe, the Sanctuary. There were these two guys playing tunes that cut through the din of many conversations and the clatter of food servers. I found myself thinking that the songs sounded very familiar, but they weren't really. They just resonated with me.

              Later I found out that the two guys playing were Greg Brown and Dave Moore. Since that time I've heard Greg many times across the midwest--even with the goddess Shirley in Ft. Atkinson.

              Greg in South Dakota

              --- In GBrown-L@yahoogroups.com, "Music Book" <musicbook@...> wrote:

              > on the radio, KUT-FM (PBS affiliate) in Austin, longtime Sat. morning show called "Folk Ways" (I always call it "Folk Waves").
              >
              > I was working in my barn, it was "Good Morning Coffee" in full. I had to call the radio station to find out who it was...then to found out a large catalog of work...
              >
              > How did you first hear (or hear of) Greg?
              >
              > Jeanean

            • John Pearson
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                I had the good fortune of going to college at the University of Iowa as a freshman in 1977. For a couple years before the album 44&66 came out I regularly heard Greg play at the Sanctuary and also at The Mill, the other great folk music bar/restaurant in Iowa City. Decades ago I lost track of how many times I've seen Greg play. He doesn't come to Chicago very often these days--about once a year but I don't think he came last year--so I don't get to see him live as often anymore. I feel quite lucky to have been able to follow Greg from the early days of his career. He has been and continues to be one of the two or three biggest musical influences in my life. And I really think he is one of the great poets of the last 30 years.
                Glad to see the Dave Moore reference! Love his music too. Wish he'd record another CD. It's been too long.

                John in Chicago

                On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM, canubike@... wrote:

                > I can remember it clearly. It was the spring of 1984 and I was at a conference in Iowa City. Some of my colleagues and I decided to go out for pizza and beer at a place called, I believe, the Sanctuary. There were these two guys playing tunes that cut through the din of many conversations and the clatter of food servers. I found myself thinking that the songs sounded very familiar, but they weren't really. They just resonated with me.
                >
                > Later I found out that the two guys playing were Greg Brown and Dave Moore. Since that time I've heard Greg many times across the midwest--even with the goddess Shirley in Ft. Atkinson.
                >
                > Greg in South Dakota
                >
                > --- In GBrown-L@yahoogroups.com, "Music Book" <musicbook@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > on the radio, KUT-FM (PBS affiliate) in Austin, longtime Sat. morning show called "Folk Ways" (I always call it "Folk Waves").
                > >
                > > I was working in my barn, it was "Good Morning Coffee" in full. I had to call the radio station to find out who it was...then to found out a large catalog of work...
                > >
                > > How did you first hear (or hear of) Greg?
                > >
                > > Jeanean

              • Ramcey
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                  > How did you first hear (or hear of) Greg?

                  I'm a bit different in how I came into Greg's music. Even back
                  in the 80's, I was already following a few hundred songwriters.
                  It took quite a bit to get me totally locked-in to more than a
                  handful of them, as I was constantly being exposed to more and
                  more incredible artists, each and every month.

                  I think that I probably heard Greg on either PHC and/or a local
                  folk radio show on KANU out of Lawrence, Kansas. I was living in the
                  boonies on a lake near Manhattan, KS at the time, and only learning
                  what it felt like to literally feel the land and seasons in your
                  bones. Keep in mind, I'm a guy born in Key West. There are barely
                  any real seasons (weather-wise) there, and the "land" is basically
                  some rocky islands surrounded by ocean. In other words, that feeling
                  of hills, dirt, trees and creeks were not something I could relate
                  to, until I had lived in a similar environment for a few years.

                  Once I did, it felt like I'd always lived there, and it was one of
                  the main reasons I left Florida and moved to my 5 acres of "brush
                  and trouble" on the outskirts of Nashville.

                  Already owning 3 of Greg's early records on vinyl, it wasn't until
                  I first heard the Further In album that it really hit me. Now, I
                  could better understand the vibe consistent in many of Greg's words.
                  Somehow, I had missed buying Poet Game, so purchased that just a
                  few weeks after not being able to remove Further In from my CD
                  player. It was like being run over by a truck, except in a good
                  way. Wow. I was hooked, big-time. Many of his songs got me into
                  the same groove that some of my favorite blues and jazz songs did.
                  The themes and words now seemed familiar, honest, perfect.

                  I traveled from Florida to New England (THANKS FERN!) for 8 days
                  of Greg shows, having never heard him perform live; and it was
                  one of the greatest weeks of my life. From tiny clubs in bigger
                  cities, to snowy Middlebury, Vermont and beyond, each and every
                  show just a wild ride of improvisation through his songs.

                  When Greg plays Nashville this week, it will a continuation of
                  the long journey, which I can only hope goes on for many more
                  years ahead....

                  R in N

                  ---
                • Les Irvin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                    I first heard of Greg in 1977ish from two sources: Michael Johnson
                    covered "Pilot Me" and "Rooty Toot Toot for the Moon" on his first
                    album, and a local (Omaha) bluegrass band covered "Four Wet Pigs" during
                    their set... I bought an album by Greg as a result, and didn't like
                    it. I have since changed my mind. :-)
                    Les
                  • Rose Grengs
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 6, 2012
                      Though I rarely post on here, I do follow it faithfully. I first heard Greg
                      with my friend, Heidi, in the early 80's at the Coffeehouse Extempore, a
                      little upstairs venue in Minneapolis. He was playing with Dave Moore. I
                      also heard him on the Prairie Home Companion Show. Started buying his
                      records, tapes and CDs and have every one of them. He's my all-time
                      favorite, while Bobbie is my husband's. We have a good time entertaining
                      each other. I, too, see him as a great poet of our time. I see him
                      whenever he is in Minneapolis or surrounding area - he'll be here at the
                      Cedar Cultural Center in April. Last summer by chance I heard he was doing
                      an outdoor concert in St. Paul. It was free, open and beautiful. I think
                      it was one of his best.

                      A favorite memory is walking out of the Electric Fetus a few years ago with
                      my new The Evening Call cd, putting it into my car cd player and hearing the
                      first few chords of Joy Tears On My Face. Pure joy!

                      Rose

                    • Jan Brattain
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 6, 2012
                        It has been fun following this thread.  Seems like a lot of us have been following Greg since the 80's.  Prairie Home Companion was a boon for him, giving him a wider audience.  I suppose I'd have heard of him eventually but that was my first place.  44 and 66 was my first record by him I bought.  Now I have the CD replacement.

                        I admit that when I first listened to Evening Call I wasn't so sure how much I liked it but over the next couple of listening months it slowly moved up to be one of my most favorite albums and Joy Tears is one of my favorite songs.  So is Milk of the Moon and Hey Baby Hey and Rexroth's Daughter and Lull It By and Spring Wind and Two Little Feet and Cold Dark Wet and Gallery and..............

                        Jan