RE: Greg in LaCrosse

  • Ramcey
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
      cool review. thanks much.

      c’mon???

      he really played “T for Texas”???

      I gotta hear that some time….

      tCH

      Nashville

      From: canubike@... [mailto:canubike@...]
      Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:11 PM
      To: ramcey@...; GBrown-L@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Greg in LaCrosse

      A torrential downpour greeted the crowd making its way to the Cartwright Center on the University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse campus this past Friday for the opening concert of the 35th annual Great River Folk Festival featuring Greg Brown.

      About 20 minutes before the show was to start the rain let up and the room filled with pe ople—those new to Greg and those who were well into the double digits on the number of his shows they saw. The woman three seats to my right told me how, when she lived in southeastern Iowa, she would babysit Greg and how they would sing.

      Greg came on stage wearing the usual sunglasses and looking like he could fit in with the casual crowd in a plain white shirt and dark slacks that could have come from Lands End. He wore no hat showing that he still had his hair at 60. His patter between the tunes was largely at the beginning of the set, with commentary about the rain, playing at the Bodega in LaCrosse some years ago, and how things have changed on 4th Street. By the end of the show, we heard the music and no commentary.

      The set list for the show was:

      Cold, Dark, and Wet (apropos for the rain)

      Laughing River

      Skinny Days

      Kokomo (fixating on jackballs, tubetop, and sticky wicket)

      Driftless

      Treat Each Other Right

      Pretty Boy Floyd (this Guthrie song elicited a cheer with the phrase “some rob you with a six-gun and some with a fountain pen”)

      What’s Happpening

      Fat Boy Blues

      Blues Go Walking Around

      The Train Carrying Jimmie Rodgers Home

      “T” is for Texas (Lynard Skynard with some lyric changes)

      Encore

      You Drive Me Crazy