Re: [GAdetection] Re: Carr on TV

  • RICHARD LIEDHOLM
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 4, 2002
      You know, Wyatt, I agree that the Pocket Books from the 50s and 60s were small gems.  I have a half dozen of the A.A. Fair books in this format and they are darn attractive.

      I also agree that they have not made a definitive version of Mason yet, no matter how much I love Burr.  He had his own style, which worked for that time, but I don't think the series as a whole captures the whirlwind atmosphere that Gardner creates.  Yes, there was a certain formula to each book, but you quickly forget that as clue and incident is piled upon clue and incident.  The Burr series misses that a bit I feel.

      I think that Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Briscoe County, Jr.) would make a good Perry.  He would bring the twinkle in the eye, the humor (which is sorely needed), the attractiveness to women, the height, the square jaw, and jaunty acting style that would suit Perry to a tee.  And I think he would do more than fine when Perry needs to act tough.

      And did Perry sleep with Della??  Gardner, I don't think, ever came right out and said, but I believe they did.  Witness the kissing scene in the middle of THE CASE OF THE SLEEPWALKER'S NIECE.  Whoo boy, that's a hot one, and where would that naturally lead...??  Besides, Della was completely loyal to Mason, and I mean completely.  If another man ever asked her to marry him you can bet that she would refuse.  Mason asked Della to marry him more than once and she always said no.  Why??  She wanted to keep her job.  And boy, am I glad she did.  Mason without Della would be like Holmes without Watson, Laurel without Hardy.  It just wouldn't be the same.

      Richard

      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 13, 2002
        From: Nicholas Fuller [mailto:stoke_moran@...]

         What about The Crooked Hinge?  While being approachable (country-house setting not too different from the generic detective story of the time), it is still definitely a Carr work: eerie atmosphere with possibilities of the supernatural, good clues, brilliantly staggering surprise solution.  And, while complex, it isn't convoluted.  The Titanic scenes would also appeal.

        This raises an interesting question. Would the actor playing the murderer have to share the murderer's characteristics (readers will know what I mean)? If not, surely it would be unfair to expect viewers to work out the solution. If so I think it would be so dazzlingly obvious as to spoil any attempt at mystery. But then, as I've made clear before, I think that The Crooked Hinge doesn't have a leg to stand on.