Re: [GAdetection] Re: Carr on TV

  • skingsley@stny.rr.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 4, 2002
      > Sam- I never saw the younger Alleyn on television, all I've seen are the
      P> atrick Malahide shows. Overall, I didn't really care for the series that
      m> uch. And this is due to the fact that the Marsh stories were squeezed
      into> a two hour format. I know that most people bemoan long teleplays, but
      the> Alleyn series seemed so rushed to me. I especially was disappointed with
      > the adaptation of the wonderful DEATH IN A WHITE TIE. Though the major
      plo> t elements were there, all the charm and character that Marsh strove for
      in> the novel was almost completely missing. My favorite Alleyn teleplay was
      > FINAL CURTAIN. That was done nicely.

      All these points are valid, but I am just grateful that they did the stories.
      I loved the Marsh series and I have read most of the books and enjoyed seeing
      them put to the small screen. I liked Malahide in this role with his reserved
      form, which is how I see Alleyn. And I thought Troy was cast perfectly. I
      don't know the actress' name. I was able to tape a few of these and have
      replayed them occassionally. I will have to look for FINAL CURTAIN and see it
      again on your recommendations!

      I think Brodbent would also be great. I loved him in Topsy Turvy. I have seen
      that about 10 times. It is one of my husbands favorites. We are big G&S fans
      and are anxious to see a prodution. Not easy to come by. I think we missed a
      recent production in NYC that was around the 9-11 time frame. Too bad. Would
      love to see one at the Savoy in London!

      Suzanne
      pop-server.stny.rr.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 13, 2002
        From: Nicholas Fuller [mailto:stoke_moran@...]

         What about The Crooked Hinge?  While being approachable (country-house setting not too different from the generic detective story of the time), it is still definitely a Carr work: eerie atmosphere with possibilities of the supernatural, good clues, brilliantly staggering surprise solution.  And, while complex, it isn't convoluted.  The Titanic scenes would also appeal.

        This raises an interesting question. Would the actor playing the murderer have to share the murderer's characteristics (readers will know what I mean)? If not, surely it would be unfair to expect viewers to work out the solution. If so I think it would be so dazzlingly obvious as to spoil any attempt at mystery. But then, as I've made clear before, I think that The Crooked Hinge doesn't have a leg to stand on.