Hardy redux

  • Mike Blake
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
      Emily wrote again, re: the Brothers Hardy:
      "I notice that they also killed off at least one of their girlfriends from
      the old days, the one with the oldest-fashioned name."

      Would that be Iola Morton, Chet's sister? Too bad. (I can't even remember
      the other girls's name.)

      -- Mike "I even owned The Hardy Boy's Detective Handbook" Blake
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Mike Blake <mike.blake@b...>
        wrote:
        > Would that be Iola Morton, Chet's sister? Too bad. (I can't even
        > remember the other girls's name.)

        Wasn't the other girl named Callie Shaw? (I know it was Callie
        something-or-other.)
      • Emily Wagner
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
          --- Mike Blake <mike.blake@...> wrote:

          > (I can't even remember
          > the other girls's name.)

          Callie something, wasn't it?

          I guess that's a pretty old-fashioned name, too.

          Come to think of it, they use quite a lot of "dated"
          names in both series. You don't hear of a lot of Chets
          and Neds these days, do you?

          Emily

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • brucknerfan1951
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2004
            I just recently found that Hardy Boys Detective Handbook in a used
            store, and since I never read it as a child I enjoyed reading it as a
            bit of Hardy apocrypha. --Warren

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2004

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2004
                More than 30 years ago in some magazine such as HARVARD LAMPOON they
                ran a Hardy Boys mystery parody that I remember best from the
                illustrations for it, in which the Hardy Boys were portrayed as being
                pretty slow-witted. One picture was of a gross caricature of a
                Mexican in a sombrero, who apparently was a suspect the Hardy Boys
                were looking for. The caption had the Hardy Boys saying "He doesn't
                look like he's from around here." The other picture showed a man and
                a woman naked in bed together and the caption had the Hardy Boys
                asking "Dad! Iola! What are you doing?" Alas, and to think that
                poor Iola later got blown up! Well, were Joe and her EVER going to
                get together, or Frank and Callie Shaw for that matter? I think
                Nancy Drew could have taken the Hardy Boys away from those girls
                anytime she wanted to, but she was happy with her toyboy Ned
                Nickerson, who never seemed to be as intelligent as Nancy. --Warren

                --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Emily Wagner <nativedenver@y...>
                wrote:
                > --- Mike Blake <mike.blake@b...> wrote:
                >
                > > (I can't even remember
                > > the other girls's name.)
                >
                > Callie something, wasn't it?
                >
                > I guess that's a pretty old-fashioned name, too.
                >
                > Come to think of it, they use quite a lot of "dated"
                > names in both series. You don't hear of a lot of Chets
                > and Neds these days, do you?
                >
                > Emily

                > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                > www.yahoo.com
              • Douglas G. Greene
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
                  "The Hardy Boys" parody was collected in a volume of National Lampoon
                  stuff, THIS SIDE OF PARODIES (New York: Warner paperback, 1974).

                  Doug