Re: EQ and Boucher

  • Jeffrmarks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      It just goes to show. I liked the Wrightsville stories. I found Ellery to be a bit more human, and less pompous than in some of the books. My favorite of the EQ books are still the earliest of them (with Ellery in Italy). I would definitely agree that no coherent biography of Ellery could be written. There are simply too many things that changed over the course of the series. Some of them, like Nikki Porter, were dictated by outside influences like the radio series, but it didn't make for an easy task of talking about the character.

      Having read all the Boucher books, I'm not sure about how I feel regarding Boucher's habit of sticking "Tony Boucher" smack in the middle of his books. Thoughts?

      Jeff

      --
      Jeffrey Marks
      www.jeffreymarks.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        I've only read the 4 Boucher books I mentioned, and thought that
        Boucher only showed up in ROCKET TO THE MORGUE. I took his cameo
        appearance as a bit of author vanity, but apparently he was part of a
        Los Angeles sci-fi group in the late 1930s. --Warren