Re: Ritzner

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, aria376 <aria376@y...> wrote:
      > Would now be a good time for me to reveal that I am in fact a direct
      descendant
      > of Beethoven's mysterious "Immortal Beloved" and have the paperwork
      to prove
      > it? Off topic, I realise; just asking....

      Oh? Well, I have it on good authority (the Wold-Newton family tree),
      that John Pritchard Jackson's great-grandmother was named Elise Pamela
      Eisenstadt von Blintz, who is postulated as Beethoven's 'Immortal
      Beloved'. Wouldn't that be thrilling to discover you are a fourth
      cousin or whatever to this unknown mystery writer?
      -- Grobius

      PS. I apologize for straying off-topic, but after seeing Saddam
      Hussein in court saying, when asked to identify himself, 'I am the
      President of Iraq', I can only admire people like Ritzner when they
      can outright say 'Gladys Mitchell and Erle Stanley Gardner are crap'.
      Such statements are put out so brazenly that one restrains laughter.

      On topic, but surely irrelevant, is that both were lousy prose
      stylists. When has that ever been a major issue when evaluating GAD
      mysteries? Plotting and fair play are the primary criteria, with style
      and presentation coming in second, albeit by a neck.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
        wrote:
        > There is a nice opportunity here, for people like myself and Barry
        > Ergang who are into mild satire, to expand on this 'great lost
        > author' so conveniently provided to us by Ritzner. When was he
        > born, when did he die? What are some of the other biographical
        > data? Provide capsule plot summaries of his 13 books, along with
        > some made-up comments by Sayers, Carr, et al.

        "John Pritchard Jackson? Aye, laddie, I couldna put him down. I
        couldna pick him up either because I couldna find his books.
        *That's* the mark of a true mystery writer! Pass me the haggis,
        lass."

        --Michael Innes
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
          Och, 'tis the mon his-sael'. Didne ye ken yon Jerry gint wouldne
          speecify whar he obtainet his foulen-got scripture-tome? A fortoon I
          ween could we bot whiffle out the badger hole what hae the
          secretit-awa' opuses o' Jock the Prit, his grannie bein' a sassenach,
          hencewith PritCHARD, if you please.

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "b_ergang" <bergang@o...> wrote:
          > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
          > wrote:
          > > There is a nice opportunity here, for people like myself and Barry
          > > Ergang who are into mild satire, to expand on this 'great lost
          > > author' so conveniently provided to us by Ritzner. When was he
          > > born, when did he die? What are some of the other biographical
          > > data? Provide capsule plot summaries of his 13 books, along with
          > > some made-up comments by Sayers, Carr, et al.
          >
          > "John Pritchard Jackson? Aye, laddie, I couldna put him down. I
          > couldna pick him up either because I couldna find his books.
          > *That's* the mark of a true mystery writer! Pass me the haggis,
          > lass."
          >
          > --Michael Innes
        • Tony Medawar
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 5, 2004
            It's simpler to add Ritzner to your blocked senders list.