Re: Dashiell Hammett -- The Dain Curse

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
      PS. The Continental Op is the anonymous precursor to Pronzini's
      Nameless Detective. But little things leak out. Did you know, for
      example, that he was only five-feet-six tall? (Bulky as he was
      described as a rule.) Somehow one's first impression is that he's the
      Incredible Hulk, the way he comes across (but doesn't behave, always
      being very polite), but he is actually a generic version of George
      Smiley or Father Brown. Lorre, not Bogart. This was intentional on
      Hammett's part, I think, before Sam Spade. He was just trying to
      represent a 'real' detective of the Pinkerton sort, not Sherlock. I
      have never met a private detective, but in reality they probably
      resemble bank clerks. Seedy, but not excessively so, plodding but not
      jerks by any means. Inconspicuous, but capable of displaying power
      when needed. This would fit the times -- likely nowadays a PI would
      more resemble a computer nerd with goggle glasses and a dirty T-shirt.
      (Apart from the boss of the agency, of course, who would dress like a
      professional basketball coach to impress the customers.)
    • W. Peck
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
        Interesting, don't you agree, that when "The Dain Curse" was adapted
        for film, James Coburn was cast in the lead, presumably because of his
        physical resemblance to Hammett -- with no thought whatsoever to the Op?
        ;

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
          wrote:
          Characterization? Bah! Enough is presented to make the people live,
          even poor old Leggett, the French escapee from Devil's Island who
          has made a new career in San Francisco as a research chemist, but is
          all too soon a murder victim.
          ********************************

          Since I'm the one on the list who seems to do the most *kvetching*
          about characterization in detective fiction, I thought I'd jump in
          on this by saying that Wyatt has effectively made my point for me.
          The kind of characterization he alludes to in Hammett's fiction is
          the kind I look for: people emerging from the pages as living,
          breathing beings, limned as individuals rather than as walking,
          talking pieces of cardboard who "exist" solely in service to the
          puzzle plot. I don't demand nor necessarily want Dostoevskian, let
          alone Freudian, analyses and portraits of every major and minor
          character. I just want them to come alive through their actions and
          manners of speaking. (Look at Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels for
          superb characterizations of the sort I'm talking about.)

          It's a generalization, but there's more art in presenting characters
          the way writers like Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald, the
          aforementioned McBain and others do than in giving the reader page
          after page of narrative or dialogue analyzing a character's
          childhood and trying to find significance in every event therefrom.
          That's the stuff of case studies, not good fiction. Let the readers
          perform the analyses if they want to, but don't force feed them to
          them.

          An exception? At the end of PSYCHO, both book and movie, a
          psychiatrist explains what happened in the past to make Norman Bates
          the way he is. But the explanation is presented with *just enough*
          information and detail to clarify the events in the story and
          further flesh out Bates, without resorting to jargon and pages of
          psychological analysis appropriate for a case study but
          inappropriate for a novel.

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "W. Peck" <aria376@y...> wrote:
          Interesting, don't you agree, that when "The Dain Curse" was adapted
          for film, James Coburn was cast in the lead, presumably because of
          his physical resemblance to Hammett -- with no thought whatsoever to
          the Op?
          ********************************
          I taped "The Dain Curse" when it first aired--in Beta format, so
          that's how long ago it was. Like you I immediately noticed the
          resemblance. To heighten it, and because the character had to have a
          name for the TV production, they dubbed him Hamilton Nash.

          They did a wonderful job of adapting the novel, but it ran way too
          long. I mean, a six-hour mini-series?

          Best,
          Barry
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004