Re: Just Curious.....

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
      To continue the non-thread about smoking (and let's drop it after
      this, except maybe refer to it as accepted practice in GAD times!)...

      There are so many things screwed up in today's world, basically
      because of over-population and the increasing demand for I guess you'd
      call them middle-class amenities, such as cars, one-family suburban
      houses, shopping malls, health insurance, and tax-deferred pension plans.

      Smoking is an easy target for politicians and is a scapegoat issue
      really. Air pollution in the workplace or bar caused by second-hand
      tobacco smoke? Come on! Why is so little being done to reduce the
      emissions caused by cars and trucks and power plants? Those same
      politicians who want to victimize smokers are the ones that deny that
      there is a Greenhouse effect, because my goodness, to close the car
      factory would mean loss of jobs in the constituency. Is it Japan where
      they have coin-in-the-slot oxygen mask machines on the street? My
      brother went to Peking not long ago and said the air pollution there
      was unbelievably bad and is supposedly getting worse because the
      Chinese are now into cars for everybody and they have virtually no
      regulations about what their power plants put out into the atmosphere.

      England (London, anyway) banned coal fires, basically all fireplaces,
      in houses in the late 1950s, and yes it really did partially mitigate
      the famous London fogs. Most American cities, even suburbs, now ban
      the burning of tree leaves in autumn. Well, fine, but I really miss
      that wonderful smell of a leaf fire, find London a duller place
      without its fogs (bad as they were for bronchitis sufferers). But
      measures like these do not really address the issue of atmospheric
      pollution on a global basis.

      PS. The NY smoking ban has resulted in a loss of custom, up to a third
      of previous revenues, no matter what you read (the pols include the
      expansion of fast food restaurants, where you could never even smoke
      before the pub ban, in their statistics -- however, FF places are the
      new target for the health Nazis). Smoking is harmful, as are a lot of
      other things, but I choose to smoke anyway and that's my business,
      nobody else's. I will accommodate for non-smokers by not lighting up
      in their presence, but don't think it's fair to be shut out of places
      where smoking would not be objectionable to the people that go there.
      [In case you are in any doubt, I'm a Libertarian and believe heroin
      addicts should be allowed to indulge as long as they don't rob people
      to pay for their habit.]

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Medawar" <tonymedawar@b...>
      wrote:
      > And there's a school of thought that suggests the bans on smoking
      gradually being introduced throughout Western societies will increase
      the incidence of cancer globally: on the one hand the hardy few who
      carry on in the West will increasingly be driven to smoke in their own
      homes, which is bad for any children they might be still able to
      produce; and the tobacco companies will abandon research into
      non-carcinogenic tobacco and focus on selling "the real McCoy" to
      "third world" markets (which of course is already their priority and
      why there are now Formula One grands prix in China and Bahrain and,
      from two years time, Russia).

      Service.