Re: The Three-Corpse Trick by Miles Burton

  • MG4273@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
      Have not read "The Three-Corpse Trick" yet. Thanks for the recommendation!
      Burton's other book of the same year (1944) , "The Four-ply Yarn" / "The
      Shadow on the Cliff" is quite good. It has the creative use of landscape and
      depiction of small-town life that are appealing features of Burton's work. And it
      too could benefit from a map... It creates a whole landscape surrounding the
      events in the story.

      Mike Grost
    • Tony Medawar
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
        Can anyone help me with my wants list:

        Miles Burton

        Death at Low Tide
        Death of Two Brothers
        Murder of a Chemist

        And

        John Rhode

        The Alarm

        I have written to a British company, House of Stratus, about the possbility of their reprinting Street's canon. I'll let you know the outcome.

        Tony
        Have not read "The Three-Corpse Trick" yet. Thanks for the recommendation!
        Burton's other book of the same year (1944) , "The Four-ply Yarn" / "The
        Shadow on the Cliff" is quite good. It has the creative use of landscape and
        depiction of small-town life that are appealing features of Burton's work. And it
        too could benefit from a map... It creates a whole landscape surrounding the
        events in the story.

        Mike Grost

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Have not read "The Three-Corpse Trick" yet. Thanks for the recommendation!
          Burton's other book of the same year (1944) , "The Four-ply Yarn" / "The
          Shadow on the Cliff" is quite good. It has the creative use of landscape and
          depiction of small-town life that are appealing features of Burton's work. And it
          too could benefit from a map... It creates a whole landscape surrounding the
          events in the story.

          Mike Grost

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2004
            This message may contain spoilers--if the reader is familiar with the solution to one story, he will probably be able to work out the solution to the other. The reader is warned.

            The Three Coffins reminds me of "The Dagger with Wings," with something of "The Invisible Man" about it. The Blind Barber also reuses the solution to "The Head of Caesar."

            Christie was also influenced by Chesterton--compare Death in the Clouds with "The Arrow of Heaven," for instance.

            Nick

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
              Chesterton was a decisive influence on Golden Age fiction, most
              particularly of the feat-of-strength school to which both Carr and
              Christie belonged. He was one of the first to see detective story as
              a challenge not only to the sleuth, but also to the reader, making
              his works a total departure from Doyle's: there is no room for the
              reader in most Holmes stories but one of a passive spectator. He also
              realized mysteries had not to be true-to-life and the most bizarre
              and surprising they were the better. All that made him a clear
              forerunner of Carr, Christie and several others of the era, and it's
              no surprise his influence shows in their works.

            • Tony Medawar

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                  I certainly agree about the GKC influence, however, let me be
                  ecumenical and give some credit to Zangwill ("Big Bow Mystery"), also
                  other authors who devised puzzle plots, including the justly maligned
                  Leroux ("Yellow Room"). Carr had many influences but 'invented' the
                  type of mystery novel he wrote and defined as his own genre. I've
                  always found GKC a humbug, no matter how ingenious and influential his
                  stories were. The standard caveat is don't rate the stories by the
                  author. That's usually just silly to say. In GKC's case, his stories
                  are great IN SPITE of the author. As a person, he was a famous
                  anti-semite, and his mumbo-jumbo justifying his conversion to
                  Catholicism was an exercise in intellectual Jesuitism. To be more
                  gentle about it, I should say that he was converted by his own
                  fictional character, Father Brown, because I think he was still an
                  Anglican at the time he started those stories. A complex man, but not
                  necessarily a NICE one. He certainly did not put up with people who
                  disagreed with him. (But like Dr Fell he had a great love for the
                  English pub and a well-brewed beer and lots of the sort of pleasurable
                  bombastic talk that turns humbugs into entertainers, so he wasn't
                  really a bad sort at all.)

                  PS. I don't want to brag, but my sister, her kids, and her ex-husband
                  actually lived in Chesterton's house, blue plaque on the wall and all
                  that, in Kensington (well, that undefined bit between Knightsbridge
                  and Kensington, Earl's Courtish). Nice Edwardian-style house, although
                  the roof leaked incredibly (I slept there a few nights in the old
                  servants quarters in the garrett on an air mattress, with at least 10
                  pots scattered round about to catch the drips from the roof) -- the
                  place hadn't been refurbished since before World War II. They were
                  kicked out years ago, not being able to pay the mortgage on maybe
                  65,000 quid. The house was subsequently bought and fixed up by the
                  Emir of Qatar or some such place for a couple of million pounds.

                  --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Medawar" <tonymedawar@b...>
                  wrote:
                  > Amen to that!

                  Service.