Re: [GAdetection] Re: Just Curious.....

  • Tony Medawar
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
      It's not that hard to smoke in NYC. Try ...

      Circa Tabac
      32 Watts St. (Thompson St. and Sixth Ave.)
      212-941-1781
      Subway: A, C, E to Canal St.; 1, 9 to Canal St.
      Mustang
      1632 2nd Ave. (@ 85th St.)
      212-744-9194
      Subway: 4, 5, 6 to 86th Street

      Nat Sherman

      500 5th Ave at 42nd St.
      (800) 692-4427
      Subway: B, D, F, Q to 42nd St.; 7 to Fifth Ave.

      Club Macanudo
      26 E. 63rd St. (Park & Madison Aves.)
      212-752-8200
      Subway: F, 4, 5, 6, N, R, W to 59th St./Lexington

      Mezzo Mezzo
      31-29 Ditmars Blvs at 33rd St.
      Astoria, NY
      718-278-0444
      Subway: N, W to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

      Florio's Grill & Cigar Bar
      192 Grand St. (Mott & Mulberry Sts.)

      212-226-7610
      Subway: B, D, Q at Grand St.

      The Piano Bar @ Jilly's (Coopers Cars & Cigars)
      41 W. 58th St. (5th & 6th Aves.)
      212-588-8888

      Lexington Bar and Books
      1020 Lexington Ave. (72nd & 73rd Sts.)
      212-717-3902
      Subway: 6 to 68th or 77nd Street

      Hudson Bar and Books
      636 Hudson Street
      212-229-2642
      Subway: A, C, E to 14th St.; L to Eighth Ave.

      Bohemian Hall

      29-19 24th Ave, Astoria, NY
      (718) 721-4226
      Subway: N to Astoria Blvd.

      DBA

      41 First Ave. (2nd and 3rd)

      212-475-5097
      F to Second Ave.

      Cherry (@ The W Tuscany Hotel)
      120 E. 39th St. (Lex & Park Aves.)
      212-519-8508
      Subway: S, 4, 5, 6, 7 to 42nd St.-Grand Central

      Whiskey Blue (@ The W New York Hotel)
      541 Lexington Ave. (49th & 50th)

      212-407-2947
      Subway: E, F, 6 to 51st St.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
        wrote:
        > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
        smoke?
        > (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 -- and
        > having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up for
        more
        > than a few months at a stretch.) You will have noted that modern
        > mysteries spend a lot of time going over the agonies of their
        > detectives (police or other) in either giving up smoking or having
        > sneak a smoke in the parking lot. Probably shades of the authors'
        own
        > problem, although it is improper to project an author's private life
        > as an aspect of his/her book or detective. In GAD novels, nearly
        > everybody smoked (or if they didn't, it was a clue to their being
        > eccentric enough to be a suspect -- plus, there was often a clue in
        > what they DID smoke, cf Sherlock Holmes). King James I of England
        knew
        > it was an abomination that long ago, possibly one of the reasons he
        > had Raleigh beheaded, but really, all these smoking bans are making
        it
        > harder and harder to have any sort of social life when public
        smoking
        > is considered anti-social.
        >
        > [They just started enforcing an NYC Draconian smoking measure in
        > Ireland, and I can't imagine not being able to smoke in a pub. We
        > can't smoke in bars here in NY anymore, so I just don't go to them
        any
        > more. If they do that in Britain, I just won't be able to go there
        any
        > more and expect to have a good time, and I have a long-delayed trip
        > there to check out the latest at Jacubowski's book store, and
        > incidentally visit family I haven't visited in a long while.]

        I gave up smoking about four years ago, after having a thrombosis
        (which may/may not have been connected to smoking) but my wife still
        smokes. While I don't nag her to give up - it would make me
        unbearable - it does concern me. However, since no one is forced to
        become an addict of any drug, it is up to the individual to choose to
        quit, but being given as much help as possible in the attempt. I don't
        subscribe to the fashionable idea that addicts are victims!
        In watching old films during these "enlightened times" the amount
        people smoked is noticable! Remember that the Victorians recommended
        smoking to relieve asthma and other lung disorders! Science is
        constantly improving methodology and techniques of analysis and so
        something we might consider safe one day might become a danger on
        another. It doesn't mean it was safe a long time ago.

        While non-smoking in public is a contentious issue, with "poor"
        smokers huddled together outside offices in the snow and other trite
        images, it boils down to differing social styles. It was recently
        reported that the smoking ban in NY hadn't affected trade in bars and
        so other governments have used these reports in their considerations.
        I don't know about the Irish but here in the UK smoking and pubs are
        always linked - not always pleasantly. However the attitude of "Brits"
        to social or pub drinking is entirely different to the American
        attitude (the Europeans are constantly, and rightly, horrified at our
        habits) so it's erroneous to compare possible trade effects between US
        and UK bars.

        A change in social smoking is coming, is already noticable, but the
        change must be smooth and appear to be publically demanded and not
        governmentally enforced or the UK public will automatically kick
        against it. The seatbelt law had very vocal opponents but now no one
        in their right mind would question it now. Smoking (and its hazards)
        will go the same way.
      • Tony Medawar
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
          And there's a school of thought that suggests the bans on smoking gradually being introduced throughout Western societies will increase the incidence of cancer globally: on the one hand the hardy few who carry on in the West will increasingly be driven to smoke in their own homes, which is bad for any children they might be still able to produce; and the tobacco companies will abandon research into non-carcinogenic tobacco and focus on selling "the real McCoy" to "third world" markets (which of course is already their priority and why there are now Formula One grands prix in China and Bahrain and, from two years time, Russia).

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
            To continue the non-thread about smoking (and let's drop it after
            this, except maybe refer to it as accepted practice in GAD times!)...

            There are so many things screwed up in today's world, basically
            because of over-population and the increasing demand for I guess you'd
            call them middle-class amenities, such as cars, one-family suburban
            houses, shopping malls, health insurance, and tax-deferred pension plans.

            Smoking is an easy target for politicians and is a scapegoat issue
            really. Air pollution in the workplace or bar caused by second-hand
            tobacco smoke? Come on! Why is so little being done to reduce the
            emissions caused by cars and trucks and power plants? Those same
            politicians who want to victimize smokers are the ones that deny that
            there is a Greenhouse effect, because my goodness, to close the car
            factory would mean loss of jobs in the constituency. Is it Japan where
            they have coin-in-the-slot oxygen mask machines on the street? My
            brother went to Peking not long ago and said the air pollution there
            was unbelievably bad and is supposedly getting worse because the
            Chinese are now into cars for everybody and they have virtually no
            regulations about what their power plants put out into the atmosphere.

            England (London, anyway) banned coal fires, basically all fireplaces,
            in houses in the late 1950s, and yes it really did partially mitigate
            the famous London fogs. Most American cities, even suburbs, now ban
            the burning of tree leaves in autumn. Well, fine, but I really miss
            that wonderful smell of a leaf fire, find London a duller place
            without its fogs (bad as they were for bronchitis sufferers). But
            measures like these do not really address the issue of atmospheric
            pollution on a global basis.

            PS. The NY smoking ban has resulted in a loss of custom, up to a third
            of previous revenues, no matter what you read (the pols include the
            expansion of fast food restaurants, where you could never even smoke
            before the pub ban, in their statistics -- however, FF places are the
            new target for the health Nazis). Smoking is harmful, as are a lot of
            other things, but I choose to smoke anyway and that's my business,
            nobody else's. I will accommodate for non-smokers by not lighting up
            in their presence, but don't think it's fair to be shut out of places
            where smoking would not be objectionable to the people that go there.
            [In case you are in any doubt, I'm a Libertarian and believe heroin
            addicts should be allowed to indulge as long as they don't rob people
            to pay for their habit.]

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Medawar" <tonymedawar@b...>

            Service.