Re: Matt Helm

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      I've read all but one, which I haven't been able to find a copy of.
      I agree the earlier ones were the best, but I enjoyed all of them--
      though you're right, Mike, some of the later ones were too long.
      Because of the sameness of situations in many of the books--early,
      middle, and late--this was not a series I could read one book after
      another without a break.

      Some editions ran a reviewer's blurb (I forget which reviewer) which
      said Helm "makes British secret agent James Bond look like a
      powderpuff," and he was right. Someone else described the Bond books
      as "Mickey Spillane in gentlemen's clothing," but Bond bore little
      resemblance to Mike Hammer, despite the amount of violence in his
      adventures. Helm, on the other hand, had a lot in common with the
      literate P.I. school. For that matter, his adventures often had him
      doing some actual detecting.

      As I recall from another blurb, Anthony Boucher liked the series,
      too.

      The movies? Call me an apostate. I would *love* to see a Helm
      movie faithfully adapted from one of the novels and played straight.
      But as spoofs of the sexy, gadget-riddled super-spy genre, some of
      the Dean Martin films were genuinely funny, albeit hokey and with
      effects that were far from special.

      The eye-candy in them wasn't half-bad either. (Senta Berger, where
      are you now that I need you?)

      Best,
      Barry