Re: Just Curious.....

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
      wrote:
      >This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
      >smoke? (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 --
      >and having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up
      >for more than a few months at a stretch.)

      Yes, dammit, I do, and for about the same length of time you have,
      Wyatt (I'm 57 and started at 12), except for a seven-year stretch
      when I quit, after which I foolishly started again. I keep telling
      myself I'm going to quit again, too.

      >You will have noted that modern mysteries spend a lot of time going
      >over the agonies of their detectives (police or other) in either
      >giving up smoking or having to sneak a smoke in the parking lot.
      >Probably shades of the authors' own problem, although it is
      >improper to project an author's private life as an aspect of
      >his/her book or detective.

      Here I respectfully disagree. If the problems are things some or all
      of the readership can relate to, if they help flesh out the
      character, and if they don't become so all-consuming as to override
      the more important aspects of the story, why not?

      Best <cough>,
      Barry
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Jermey" <jonjermey@o...>
        wrote:
        >I still get a slight shock in GAD fiction when the athletic young
        >hero, having pursued the villain across several ploughed fields and
        >finally run him to earth, celebrates by lighting up a fag...

        Not to mention the hero who smokes like an oil refinery throughout
        the story but who can nevertheless hoof it in pursuit of a fleet-
        footed villain, whether across fields or through city streets,
        without panting, let alone gasping for breath.
      • Tony Medawar
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
          It's not that hard to smoke in NYC. Try ...

          Circa Tabac
          32 Watts St. (Thompson St. and Sixth Ave.)
          212-941-1781
          Subway: A, C, E to Canal St.; 1, 9 to Canal St.
          Mustang
          1632 2nd Ave. (@ 85th St.)
          212-744-9194
          Subway: 4, 5, 6 to 86th Street

          Nat Sherman

          500 5th Ave at 42nd St.
          (800) 692-4427
          Subway: B, D, F, Q to 42nd St.; 7 to Fifth Ave.

          Club Macanudo
          26 E. 63rd St. (Park & Madison Aves.)
          212-752-8200
          Subway: F, 4, 5, 6, N, R, W to 59th St./Lexington

          Mezzo Mezzo
          31-29 Ditmars Blvs at 33rd St.
          Astoria, NY
          718-278-0444
          Subway: N, W to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

          Florio's Grill & Cigar Bar
          192 Grand St. (Mott & Mulberry Sts.)

          212-226-7610
          Subway: B, D, Q at Grand St.

          The Piano Bar @ Jilly's (Coopers Cars & Cigars)
          41 W. 58th St. (5th & 6th Aves.)
          212-588-8888

          Lexington Bar and Books
          1020 Lexington Ave. (72nd & 73rd Sts.)
          212-717-3902
          Subway: 6 to 68th or 77nd Street

          Hudson Bar and Books
          636 Hudson Street
          212-229-2642
          Subway: A, C, E to 14th St.; L to Eighth Ave.

          Bohemian Hall

          29-19 24th Ave, Astoria, NY
          (718) 721-4226
          Subway: N to Astoria Blvd.

          DBA

          41 First Ave. (2nd and 3rd)

          212-475-5097
          F to Second Ave.

          Cherry (@ The W Tuscany Hotel)
          120 E. 39th St. (Lex & Park Aves.)
          212-519-8508
          Subway: S, 4, 5, 6, 7 to 42nd St.-Grand Central

          Whiskey Blue (@ The W New York Hotel)
          541 Lexington Ave. (49th & 50th)

          212-407-2947
          Subway: E, F, 6 to 51st St.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
            wrote:
            > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
            smoke?
            > (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 -- and
            > having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up for
            more
            > than a few months at a stretch.) You will have noted that modern
            > mysteries spend a lot of time going over the agonies of their
            > detectives (police or other) in either giving up smoking or having
            > sneak a smoke in the parking lot. Probably shades of the authors'
            own
            > problem, although it is improper to project an author's private life
            > as an aspect of his/her book or detective. In GAD novels, nearly
            > everybody smoked (or if they didn't, it was a clue to their being
            > eccentric enough to be a suspect -- plus, there was often a clue in
            > what they DID smoke, cf Sherlock Holmes). King James I of England
            knew
            > it was an abomination that long ago, possibly one of the reasons he
            > had Raleigh beheaded, but really, all these smoking bans are making
            it
            > harder and harder to have any sort of social life when public
            smoking
            > is considered anti-social.
            >
            > [They just started enforcing an NYC Draconian smoking measure in
            > Ireland, and I can't imagine not being able to smoke in a pub. We
            > can't smoke in bars here in NY anymore, so I just don't go to them
            any
            > more. If they do that in Britain, I just won't be able to go there
            any
            > more and expect to have a good time, and I have a long-delayed trip
            > there to check out the latest at Jacubowski's book store, and
            > incidentally visit family I haven't visited in a long while.]

            I gave up smoking about four years ago, after having a thrombosis
            (which may/may not have been connected to smoking) but my wife still
            smokes. While I don't nag her to give up - it would make me
            unbearable - it does concern me. However, since no one is forced to
            become an addict of any drug, it is up to the individual to choose to
            quit, but being given as much help as possible in the attempt. I don't
            subscribe to the fashionable idea that addicts are victims!
            In watching old films during these "enlightened times" the amount
            people smoked is noticable! Remember that the Victorians recommended
            smoking to relieve asthma and other lung disorders! Science is
            constantly improving methodology and techniques of analysis and so
            something we might consider safe one day might become a danger on
            another. It doesn't mean it was safe a long time ago.

            While non-smoking in public is a contentious issue, with "poor"
            smokers huddled together outside offices in the snow and other trite
            images, it boils down to differing social styles. It was recently
            reported that the smoking ban in NY hadn't affected trade in bars and
            so other governments have used these reports in their considerations.
            I don't know about the Irish but here in the UK smoking and pubs are
            always linked - not always pleasantly. However the attitude of "Brits"
            to social or pub drinking is entirely different to the American
            attitude (the Europeans are constantly, and rightly, horrified at our
            habits) so it's erroneous to compare possible trade effects between US
            and UK bars.

            A change in social smoking is coming, is already noticable, but the
            change must be smooth and appear to be publically demanded and not
            governmentally enforced or the UK public will automatically kick
            against it. The seatbelt law had very vocal opponents but now no one
            in their right mind would question it now. Smoking (and its hazards)
            will go the same way.
          • Tony Medawar
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
              And there's a school of thought that suggests the bans on smoking gradually being introduced throughout Western societies will increase the incidence of cancer globally: on the one hand the hardy few who carry on in the West will increasingly be driven to smoke in their own homes, which is bad for any children they might be still able to produce; and the tobacco companies will abandon research into non-carcinogenic tobacco and focus on selling "the real McCoy" to "third world" markets (which of course is already their priority and why there are now Formula One grands prix in China and Bahrain and, from two years time, Russia).

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
                To continue the non-thread about smoking (and let's drop it after
                this, except maybe refer to it as accepted practice in GAD times!)...

                There are so many things screwed up in today's world, basically
                because of over-population and the increasing demand for I guess you'd
                call them middle-class amenities, such as cars, one-family suburban
                houses, shopping malls, health insurance, and tax-deferred pension plans.

                Smoking is an easy target for politicians and is a scapegoat issue
                really. Air pollution in the workplace or bar caused by second-hand
                tobacco smoke? Come on! Why is so little being done to reduce the
                emissions caused by cars and trucks and power plants? Those same
                politicians who want to victimize smokers are the ones that deny that
                there is a Greenhouse effect, because my goodness, to close the car
                factory would mean loss of jobs in the constituency. Is it Japan where
                they have coin-in-the-slot oxygen mask machines on the street? My
                brother went to Peking not long ago and said the air pollution there
                was unbelievably bad and is supposedly getting worse because the
                Chinese are now into cars for everybody and they have virtually no
                regulations about what their power plants put out into the atmosphere.

                England (London, anyway) banned coal fires, basically all fireplaces,
                in houses in the late 1950s, and yes it really did partially mitigate
                the famous London fogs. Most American cities, even suburbs, now ban
                the burning of tree leaves in autumn. Well, fine, but I really miss
                that wonderful smell of a leaf fire, find London a duller place
                without its fogs (bad as they were for bronchitis sufferers). But
                measures like these do not really address the issue of atmospheric
                pollution on a global basis.

                PS. The NY smoking ban has resulted in a loss of custom, up to a third
                of previous revenues, no matter what you read (the pols include the
                expansion of fast food restaurants, where you could never even smoke
                before the pub ban, in their statistics -- however, FF places are the
                new target for the health Nazis). Smoking is harmful, as are a lot of
                other things, but I choose to smoke anyway and that's my business,
                nobody else's. I will accommodate for non-smokers by not lighting up
                in their presence, but don't think it's fair to be shut out of places
                where smoking would not be objectionable to the people that go there.
                [In case you are in any doubt, I'm a Libertarian and believe heroin
                addicts should be allowed to indulge as long as they don't rob people
                to pay for their habit.]

                --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Medawar" <tonymedawar@b...>

                Service.