RE: [GAdetection] Just Curious.....

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
      I still get a slight shock in GAD fiction when the athletic young hero,
      having pursued the villain across several ploughed fields and finally
      run him to earth, celebrates by lighting up a fag...

      Jon.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
        wrote:
        >This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
        >smoke? (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 --
        >and having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up
        >for more than a few months at a stretch.)

        Yes, dammit, I do, and for about the same length of time you have,
        Wyatt (I'm 57 and started at 12), except for a seven-year stretch
        when I quit, after which I foolishly started again. I keep telling
        myself I'm going to quit again, too.

        >You will have noted that modern mysteries spend a lot of time going
        >over the agonies of their detectives (police or other) in either
        >giving up smoking or having to sneak a smoke in the parking lot.
        >Probably shades of the authors' own problem, although it is
        >improper to project an author's private life as an aspect of
        >his/her book or detective.

        Here I respectfully disagree. If the problems are things some or all
        of the readership can relate to, if they help flesh out the
        character, and if they don't become so all-consuming as to override
        the more important aspects of the story, why not?

        Best <cough>,
        Barry
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Jermey" <jonjermey@o...>
          wrote:
          >I still get a slight shock in GAD fiction when the athletic young
          >hero, having pursued the villain across several ploughed fields and
          >finally run him to earth, celebrates by lighting up a fag...

          Not to mention the hero who smokes like an oil refinery throughout
          the story but who can nevertheless hoof it in pursuit of a fleet-
          footed villain, whether across fields or through city streets,
          without panting, let alone gasping for breath.
        • Tony Medawar
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
            It's not that hard to smoke in NYC. Try ...

            Circa Tabac
            32 Watts St. (Thompson St. and Sixth Ave.)
            212-941-1781
            Subway: A, C, E to Canal St.; 1, 9 to Canal St.
            Mustang
            1632 2nd Ave. (@ 85th St.)
            212-744-9194
            Subway: 4, 5, 6 to 86th Street

            Nat Sherman

            500 5th Ave at 42nd St.
            (800) 692-4427
            Subway: B, D, F, Q to 42nd St.; 7 to Fifth Ave.

            Club Macanudo
            26 E. 63rd St. (Park & Madison Aves.)
            212-752-8200
            Subway: F, 4, 5, 6, N, R, W to 59th St./Lexington

            Mezzo Mezzo
            31-29 Ditmars Blvs at 33rd St.
            Astoria, NY
            718-278-0444
            Subway: N, W to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

            Florio's Grill & Cigar Bar
            192 Grand St. (Mott & Mulberry Sts.)

            212-226-7610
            Subway: B, D, Q at Grand St.

            The Piano Bar @ Jilly's (Coopers Cars & Cigars)
            41 W. 58th St. (5th & 6th Aves.)
            212-588-8888

            Lexington Bar and Books
            1020 Lexington Ave. (72nd & 73rd Sts.)
            212-717-3902
            Subway: 6 to 68th or 77nd Street

            Hudson Bar and Books
            636 Hudson Street
            212-229-2642
            Subway: A, C, E to 14th St.; L to Eighth Ave.

            Bohemian Hall

            29-19 24th Ave, Astoria, NY
            (718) 721-4226
            Subway: N to Astoria Blvd.

            DBA

            41 First Ave. (2nd and 3rd)

            212-475-5097
            F to Second Ave.

            Cherry (@ The W Tuscany Hotel)
            120 E. 39th St. (Lex & Park Aves.)
            212-519-8508
            Subway: S, 4, 5, 6, 7 to 42nd St.-Grand Central

            Whiskey Blue (@ The W New York Hotel)
            541 Lexington Ave. (49th & 50th)

            212-407-2947
            Subway: E, F, 6 to 51st St.

            > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
            smoke?
            > (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 -- and
            > having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up for
            more
            > than a few months at a stretch.) You will have noted that modern
            > mysteries spend a lot of time going over the agonies of their
            > detectives (police or other) in either giving up smoking or having
            > sneak a smoke in the parking lot. Probably shades of the authors'
            own
            > problem, although it is improper to project an author's private life
            > as an aspect of his/her book or detective. In GAD novels, nearly
            > everybody smoked (or if they didn't, it was a clue to their being
            > eccentric enough to be a suspect -- plus, there was often a clue in
            > what they DID smoke, cf Sherlock Holmes). King James I of England
            knew
            > it was an abomination that long ago, possibly one of the reasons he
            > had Raleigh beheaded, but really, all these smoking bans are making
            it
            > harder and harder to have any sort of social life when public
            smoking
            > is considered anti-social.
            >
            > [They just started enforcing an NYC Draconian smoking measure in
            > Ireland, and I can't imagine not being able to smoke in a pub. We
            > can't smoke in bars here in NY anymore, so I just don't go to them
            any
            > more. If they do that in Britain, I just won't be able to go there
            any
            > more and expect to have a good time, and I have a long-delayed trip
            > there to check out the latest at Jacubowski's book store, and
            > incidentally visit family I haven't visited in a long while.]

          • alanjbishop1
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
              wrote:
              > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
              smoke?
              > (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 -- and
              > having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up for
              more
              > than a few months at a stretch.) You will have noted that modern
              > mysteries spend a lot of time going over the agonies of their
              > detectives (police or other) in either giving up smoking or having
              > sneak a smoke in the parking lot. Probably shades of the authors'
              own
              > problem, although it is improper to project an author's private life
              > as an aspect of his/her book or detective. In GAD novels, nearly
              > everybody smoked (or if they didn't, it was a clue to their being
              > eccentric enough to be a suspect -- plus, there was often a clue in
              > what they DID smoke, cf Sherlock Holmes). King James I of England
              knew
              > it was an abomination that long ago, possibly one of the reasons he
              > had Raleigh beheaded, but really, all these smoking bans are making
              it
              > harder and harder to have any sort of social life when public
              smoking
              > is considered anti-social.
              >
              > [They just started enforcing an NYC Draconian smoking measure in
              > Ireland, and I can't imagine not being able to smoke in a pub. We
              > can't smoke in bars here in NY anymore, so I just don't go to them
              any
              > more. If they do that in Britain, I just won't be able to go there
              any
              > more and expect to have a good time, and I have a long-delayed trip
              > there to check out the latest at Jacubowski's book store, and
              > incidentally visit family I haven't visited in a long while.]

              I gave up smoking about four years ago, after having a thrombosis
              (which may/may not have been connected to smoking) but my wife still
              smokes. While I don't nag her to give up - it would make me
              unbearable - it does concern me. However, since no one is forced to
              become an addict of any drug, it is up to the individual to choose to
              quit, but being given as much help as possible in the attempt. I don't
              subscribe to the fashionable idea that addicts are victims!
              In watching old films during these "enlightened times" the amount
              people smoked is noticable! Remember that the Victorians recommended
              smoking to relieve asthma and other lung disorders! Science is
              constantly improving methodology and techniques of analysis and so
              something we might consider safe one day might become a danger on
              another. It doesn't mean it was safe a long time ago.

              While non-smoking in public is a contentious issue, with "poor"
              smokers huddled together outside offices in the snow and other trite
              images, it boils down to differing social styles. It was recently
              reported that the smoking ban in NY hadn't affected trade in bars and
              so other governments have used these reports in their considerations.
              I don't know about the Irish but here in the UK smoking and pubs are
              always linked - not always pleasantly. However the attitude of "Brits"
              to social or pub drinking is entirely different to the American
              attitude (the Europeans are constantly, and rightly, horrified at our
              habits) so it's erroneous to compare possible trade effects between US
              and UK bars.

              A change in social smoking is coming, is already noticable, but the
              change must be smooth and appear to be publically demanded and not
              governmentally enforced or the UK public will automatically kick
              against it. The seatbelt law had very vocal opponents but now no one
              in their right mind would question it now. Smoking (and its hazards)
              will go the same way.
            • Tony Medawar
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
                And there's a school of thought that suggests the bans on smoking gradually being introduced throughout Western societies will increase the incidence of cancer globally: on the one hand the hardy few who carry on in the West will increasingly be driven to smoke in their own homes, which is bad for any children they might be still able to produce; and the tobacco companies will abandon research into non-carcinogenic tobacco and focus on selling "the real McCoy" to "third world" markets (which of course is already their priority and why there are now Formula One grands prix in China and Bahrain and, from two years time, Russia).

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
                  To continue the non-thread about smoking (and let's drop it after
                  this, except maybe refer to it as accepted practice in GAD times!)...

                  There are so many things screwed up in today's world, basically
                  because of over-population and the increasing demand for I guess you'd
                  call them middle-class amenities, such as cars, one-family suburban
                  houses, shopping malls, health insurance, and tax-deferred pension plans.

                  Smoking is an easy target for politicians and is a scapegoat issue
                  really. Air pollution in the workplace or bar caused by second-hand
                  tobacco smoke? Come on! Why is so little being done to reduce the
                  emissions caused by cars and trucks and power plants? Those same
                  politicians who want to victimize smokers are the ones that deny that
                  there is a Greenhouse effect, because my goodness, to close the car
                  factory would mean loss of jobs in the constituency. Is it Japan where
                  they have coin-in-the-slot oxygen mask machines on the street? My
                  brother went to Peking not long ago and said the air pollution there
                  was unbelievably bad and is supposedly getting worse because the
                  Chinese are now into cars for everybody and they have virtually no
                  regulations about what their power plants put out into the atmosphere.

                  England (London, anyway) banned coal fires, basically all fireplaces,
                  in houses in the late 1950s, and yes it really did partially mitigate
                  the famous London fogs. Most American cities, even suburbs, now ban
                  the burning of tree leaves in autumn. Well, fine, but I really miss
                  that wonderful smell of a leaf fire, find London a duller place
                  without its fogs (bad as they were for bronchitis sufferers). But
                  measures like these do not really address the issue of atmospheric
                  pollution on a global basis.

                  PS. The NY smoking ban has resulted in a loss of custom, up to a third
                  of previous revenues, no matter what you read (the pols include the
                  expansion of fast food restaurants, where you could never even smoke
                  before the pub ban, in their statistics -- however, FF places are the
                  new target for the health Nazis). Smoking is harmful, as are a lot of
                  other things, but I choose to smoke anyway and that's my business,
                  nobody else's. I will accommodate for non-smokers by not lighting up
                  in their presence, but don't think it's fair to be shut out of places
                  where smoking would not be objectionable to the people that go there.
                  [In case you are in any doubt, I'm a Libertarian and believe heroin
                  addicts should be allowed to indulge as long as they don't rob people
                  to pay for their habit.]

                  --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Medawar" <tonymedawar@b...>

                  Service.