Re: [GAdetection] First Time Authors

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      Dear MikeB,

      Christopher Bush is variable, but when good, he's very good. Tudor Queen is a good one, but the best are Dead Man Twice and Cut Throat. Avoid TCOT 100% Alibis, which has been called his best work, but is really very weak and disappointing. (You may also want to look at my web-site: www.geocities.com/hacklehorn/bush/, which is the only page devoted to Bush so far.)

      Nick

      'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        Mike B wrote:

        >Hilda Lawrence (Blood Upon The Snow), here we go,
        >one of the best books I`ve read so far this young year. Somebody
        >here recommended this (don`t remember who, sorry, but thanks!!) and
        >it`s excellent. Good atmosphere, storytelling and plot. Definitley
        >worth looking up more of what she wrote.

        It was me who recommended this one, and I'm glad you liked it. Lawrence was a terrific writer, the missing link between Golden Age and Millar-kind suspense fiction, and it's a real pity she didn't write more.

      • mike5568
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
          Ah Xavier I thought it was probably you, thank you again. I looked
          her up and it seems she wrote only 4 or 5 books. Blood Upon The Snow
          was her first, and A Time To Die the only other one starring Mark
          East. Death Of A Doll is said to be her best book and considered a
          classic by many. I will have to check those out. MikeB--- In