Re: [GAdetection] Just Curious.....

  • Gillian Hill
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
      From: "Wyatt James" <grobius@...>
      > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still smoke?

      Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

      Gillian Hill
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
        I still get a slight shock in GAD fiction when the athletic young hero,
        having pursued the villain across several ploughed fields and finally
        run him to earth, celebrates by lighting up a fag...

        Jon.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
          wrote:
          >This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
          >smoke? (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 --
          >and having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up
          >for more than a few months at a stretch.)

          Yes, dammit, I do, and for about the same length of time you have,
          Wyatt (I'm 57 and started at 12), except for a seven-year stretch
          when I quit, after which I foolishly started again. I keep telling
          myself I'm going to quit again, too.

          >You will have noted that modern mysteries spend a lot of time going
          >over the agonies of their detectives (police or other) in either
          >giving up smoking or having to sneak a smoke in the parking lot.
          >Probably shades of the authors' own problem, although it is
          >improper to project an author's private life as an aspect of
          >his/her book or detective.

          Here I respectfully disagree. If the problems are things some or all
          of the readership can relate to, if they help flesh out the
          character, and if they don't become so all-consuming as to override
          the more important aspects of the story, why not?

          Best <cough>,
          Barry
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Jermey" <jonjermey@o...>
            wrote:
            >I still get a slight shock in GAD fiction when the athletic young
            >hero, having pursued the villain across several ploughed fields and
            >finally run him to earth, celebrates by lighting up a fag...

            Not to mention the hero who smokes like an oil refinery throughout
            the story but who can nevertheless hoof it in pursuit of a fleet-
            footed villain, whether across fields or through city streets,
            without panting, let alone gasping for breath.
          • Tony Medawar
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
              It's not that hard to smoke in NYC. Try ...

              Circa Tabac
              32 Watts St. (Thompson St. and Sixth Ave.)
              212-941-1781
              Subway: A, C, E to Canal St.; 1, 9 to Canal St.
              Mustang
              1632 2nd Ave. (@ 85th St.)
              212-744-9194
              Subway: 4, 5, 6 to 86th Street

              Nat Sherman

              500 5th Ave at 42nd St.
              (800) 692-4427
              Subway: B, D, F, Q to 42nd St.; 7 to Fifth Ave.

              Club Macanudo
              26 E. 63rd St. (Park & Madison Aves.)
              212-752-8200
              Subway: F, 4, 5, 6, N, R, W to 59th St./Lexington

              Mezzo Mezzo
              31-29 Ditmars Blvs at 33rd St.
              Astoria, NY
              718-278-0444
              Subway: N, W to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

              Florio's Grill & Cigar Bar
              192 Grand St. (Mott & Mulberry Sts.)

              212-226-7610
              Subway: B, D, Q at Grand St.

              The Piano Bar @ Jilly's (Coopers Cars & Cigars)
              41 W. 58th St. (5th & 6th Aves.)
              212-588-8888

              Lexington Bar and Books
              1020 Lexington Ave. (72nd & 73rd Sts.)
              212-717-3902
              Subway: 6 to 68th or 77nd Street

              Hudson Bar and Books
              636 Hudson Street
              212-229-2642
              Subway: A, C, E to 14th St.; L to Eighth Ave.

              Bohemian Hall

              29-19 24th Ave, Astoria, NY
              (718) 721-4226
              Subway: N to Astoria Blvd.

              DBA

              41 First Ave. (2nd and 3rd)

              212-475-5097
              F to Second Ave.

              Cherry (@ The W Tuscany Hotel)
              120 E. 39th St. (Lex & Park Aves.)
              212-519-8508
              Subway: S, 4, 5, 6, 7 to 42nd St.-Grand Central

              Whiskey Blue (@ The W New York Hotel)
              541 Lexington Ave. (49th & 50th)

              212-407-2947
              Subway: E, F, 6 to 51st St.

              > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
              smoke?
              > (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 -- and
              > having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up for
              more
              > than a few months at a stretch.) You will have noted that modern
              > mysteries spend a lot of time going over the agonies of their
              > detectives (police or other) in either giving up smoking or having
              > sneak a smoke in the parking lot. Probably shades of the authors'
              own
              > problem, although it is improper to project an author's private life
              > as an aspect of his/her book or detective. In GAD novels, nearly
              > everybody smoked (or if they didn't, it was a clue to their being
              > eccentric enough to be a suspect -- plus, there was often a clue in
              > what they DID smoke, cf Sherlock Holmes). King James I of England
              knew
              > it was an abomination that long ago, possibly one of the reasons he
              > had Raleigh beheaded, but really, all these smoking bans are making
              it
              > harder and harder to have any sort of social life when public
              smoking
              > is considered anti-social.
              >
              > [They just started enforcing an NYC Draconian smoking measure in
              > Ireland, and I can't imagine not being able to smoke in a pub. We
              > can't smoke in bars here in NY anymore, so I just don't go to them
              any
              > more. If they do that in Britain, I just won't be able to go there
              any
              > more and expect to have a good time, and I have a long-delayed trip
              > there to check out the latest at Jacubowski's book store, and
              > incidentally visit family I haven't visited in a long while.]

            • alanjbishop1
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2004
                wrote:
                > This is off-topic in a way, but do any of you GAD members still
                smoke?
                > (I still do, having started at the age of 14 -- I'm now 60 -- and
                > having quit many times but never keeping up the abstinence up for
                more
                > than a few months at a stretch.) You will have noted that modern
                > mysteries spend a lot of time going over the agonies of their
                > detectives (police or other) in either giving up smoking or having
                > sneak a smoke in the parking lot. Probably shades of the authors'
                own
                > problem, although it is improper to project an author's private life
                > as an aspect of his/her book or detective. In GAD novels, nearly
                > everybody smoked (or if they didn't, it was a clue to their being
                > eccentric enough to be a suspect -- plus, there was often a clue in
                > what they DID smoke, cf Sherlock Holmes). King James I of England
                knew
                > it was an abomination that long ago, possibly one of the reasons he
                > had Raleigh beheaded, but really, all these smoking bans are making
                it
                > harder and harder to have any sort of social life when public
                smoking
                > is considered anti-social.
                >
                > [They just started enforcing an NYC Draconian smoking measure in
                > Ireland, and I can't imagine not being able to smoke in a pub. We
                > can't smoke in bars here in NY anymore, so I just don't go to them
                any
                > more. If they do that in Britain, I just won't be able to go there
                any
                > more and expect to have a good time, and I have a long-delayed trip
                > there to check out the latest at Jacubowski's book store, and
                > incidentally visit family I haven't visited in a long while.]

                I gave up smoking about four years ago, after having a thrombosis
                (which may/may not have been connected to smoking) but my wife still
                smokes. While I don't nag her to give up - it would make me
                unbearable - it does concern me. However, since no one is forced to
                become an addict of any drug, it is up to the individual to choose to
                quit, but being given as much help as possible in the attempt. I don't
                subscribe to the fashionable idea that addicts are victims!
                In watching old films during these "enlightened times" the amount
                people smoked is noticable! Remember that the Victorians recommended
                smoking to relieve asthma and other lung disorders! Science is
                constantly improving methodology and techniques of analysis and so
                something we might consider safe one day might become a danger on
                another. It doesn't mean it was safe a long time ago.

                While non-smoking in public is a contentious issue, with "poor"
                smokers huddled together outside offices in the snow and other trite
                images, it boils down to differing social styles. It was recently
                reported that the smoking ban in NY hadn't affected trade in bars and
                so other governments have used these reports in their considerations.
                I don't know about the Irish but here in the UK smoking and pubs are
                always linked - not always pleasantly. However the attitude of "Brits"
                to social or pub drinking is entirely different to the American
                attitude (the Europeans are constantly, and rightly, horrified at our
                habits) so it's erroneous to compare possible trade effects between US
                and UK bars.

                A change in social smoking is coming, is already noticable, but the
                change must be smooth and appear to be publically demanded and not
                governmentally enforced or the UK public will automatically kick
                against it. The seatbelt law had very vocal opponents but now no one
                in their right mind would question it now. Smoking (and its hazards)
                will go the same way.
              • Tony Medawar
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
                  And there's a school of thought that suggests the bans on smoking gradually being introduced throughout Western societies will increase the incidence of cancer globally: on the one hand the hardy few who carry on in the West will increasingly be driven to smoke in their own homes, which is bad for any children they might be still able to produce; and the tobacco companies will abandon research into non-carcinogenic tobacco and focus on selling "the real McCoy" to "third world" markets (which of course is already their priority and why there are now Formula One grands prix in China and Bahrain and, from two years time, Russia).

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2004
                    To continue the non-thread about smoking (and let's drop it after
                    this, except maybe refer to it as accepted practice in GAD times!)...

                    There are so many things screwed up in today's world, basically
                    because of over-population and the increasing demand for I guess you'd
                    call them middle-class amenities, such as cars, one-family suburban
                    houses, shopping malls, health insurance, and tax-deferred pension plans.

                    Smoking is an easy target for politicians and is a scapegoat issue
                    really. Air pollution in the workplace or bar caused by second-hand
                    tobacco smoke? Come on! Why is so little being done to reduce the
                    emissions caused by cars and trucks and power plants? Those same
                    politicians who want to victimize smokers are the ones that deny that
                    there is a Greenhouse effect, because my goodness, to close the car
                    factory would mean loss of jobs in the constituency. Is it Japan where
                    they have coin-in-the-slot oxygen mask machines on the street? My
                    brother went to Peking not long ago and said the air pollution there
                    was unbelievably bad and is supposedly getting worse because the
                    Chinese are now into cars for everybody and they have virtually no
                    regulations about what their power plants put out into the atmosphere.

                    England (London, anyway) banned coal fires, basically all fireplaces,
                    in houses in the late 1950s, and yes it really did partially mitigate
                    the famous London fogs. Most American cities, even suburbs, now ban
                    the burning of tree leaves in autumn. Well, fine, but I really miss
                    that wonderful smell of a leaf fire, find London a duller place
                    without its fogs (bad as they were for bronchitis sufferers). But
                    measures like these do not really address the issue of atmospheric
                    pollution on a global basis.

                    PS. The NY smoking ban has resulted in a loss of custom, up to a third
                    of previous revenues, no matter what you read (the pols include the
                    expansion of fast food restaurants, where you could never even smoke
                    before the pub ban, in their statistics -- however, FF places are the
                    new target for the health Nazis). Smoking is harmful, as are a lot of
                    other things, but I choose to smoke anyway and that's my business,
                    nobody else's. I will accommodate for non-smokers by not lighting up
                    in their presence, but don't think it's fair to be shut out of places
                    where smoking would not be objectionable to the people that go there.
                    [In case you are in any doubt, I'm a Libertarian and believe heroin
                    addicts should be allowed to indulge as long as they don't rob people
                    to pay for their habit.]

                    --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Medawar" <tonymedawar@b...>

                    Service.