Re: Mystery buffs' VCR alert

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7 3:09 PM
      Thanks for straightening that out, Gillian.

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Hill" <gillianhill@b...>

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7 8:31 PM
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
        wrote:
        PS, Barry, "Monk" only lasted a couple of weeks on ABC network, so
        no matter how good or not the series is, the minority (I guess it is
        a minority by now) of us who depend only on broadcast TV are screwed
        out of the opportunity of seeing it.

        Wyatt, I don't understand the programming "geniuses" at ABC either.
        Last year they touted the hell out of the show, running it on Monday
        nights as a lead-in to Monday Night Football. That lasted about four
        weeks.

        This year ABC advertised it with great fanfare yet again--no doubt
        because of the awards it's won--two episodes are Edgar nominees this
        year--and moved it to Saturday night at 10 p.m. They ran it for two
        weeks, then started running movies they padded out to three hours
        with commercial filler. (It used to be that you got four minutes or
        so of commercials during a half-hour of TV; today you get at *least*
        twelve minutes per half hour. It's just as bad on commercial cable
        channels as it is on the networks. As an addendum to your diatribe,
        even news broadcasts lack substance because they serve primarily as
        vehicles for commercials. Our local channels will cut away to a
        commercial segment lasting four minutes, come back and run thirty
        seconds of news if you're lucky, then cut away to four more minutes
        of advertising garbage. Anyone who doubts that corporations run the
        country need only watch an hour of commercial television to have
        his/her doubts dispelled.) Last night they padded the
        film "Frequency" to three hours. It was a good thing I'd seen it on
        DVD, because I'd have forgotten what was going on during the
        interruptions. It's a very good mystery/suspense/family drama with a
        touch of sci-fi.

        Anyway, for what it's worth, my local listings have ABC
        showing "Monk" next Saturday night. Of course, this could be a
        mistake if they didn't properly notify the country's newspapers, or
        if they decide to run something else on a sudden whim.

        Next time you write a William Blackstone Wildman story, consider
        making the victim a network programming executive. :-)

        Best,
        Barry
      • W. Peck
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7 8:45 PM
          Ian Fleming's obituaries many years ago proudly claimed that he had a
          brief
          stage and film career, including the Holmes movie, and was the "creator"
          of
          the television series "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." in addition to his more
          well-known role as author. They also mentioned the esteem in which he was
          held by John F. Kennedy, a "fact" that of course elevated sales of the
          Bond
          books at that time but which is today strongly disputed as is still the
          precise extent of Fleming's own alleged espionage activities.
          ;

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7 9:18 PM
            When "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."--my favorite show at that time (I was
            in college)--first aired, I read an article that said Fleming was
            involved in its creation, though I'm not sure he was the sole
            creator. In any event, Napoleon Solo's name resulted from fusing the
            names of a couple of villains in the Bond books, Napoleon something-
            or-other and Billy Solo.

            The TV critics of the era panned the show, but their reviews made it
            plain they were too dense to see the stories were spoofs of the
            superspy genre that kicked into gear after the Bond movies came out.

            During its final season, episodes from which I seldom got to see
            because I had a class the night it was on, they got away from the
            spoofs and into more "serious" adventure dramas. The two or three I
            got to watch were very good, and a refreshing change from the
            goofiness of the three previous seasons that had gotten rather
            stale.

            --Barry

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "W. Peck" <aria376@y...> wrote:
            Ian Fleming's obituaries many years ago proudly claimed that
            he...was the "creator" of the television series "The Man from
            U.N.C.L.E."
          • W. Peck
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8 8:19 AM
              Agreed. But, never known to appreciate the status quo, the same network
              then produced "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E."* I would hope that Fleming had
              nothing to do with that.
              * Stephanie Powers was in that, in her pre-William Holden days.
              ;

              http://search.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8 10:12 AM
                Until NBC moved the show from Tuesday night to Monday, when I missed
                most of the final season's episodes because of a class, I
                watched "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." religiously. "The Girl From
                U.N.C.L.E." quickly proved to be a take-it-or-leave-it proposition--
                meaning I'd watch it if nothing else were on or I was too tired to
                read.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 13 8:18 PM
                  ABC network did it again tonight. Left the weekly TV slot for Saturday
                  where "Monk" was supposed to be shown in last week's summary of
                  programs with 'To Be Announced', then quess what they put on?
                  "Funniest Home Videos". If they think that schlock will get better
                  ratings than "Monk" I don't know what drug they're on. There must be
                  some 'political' reason behind this, perhaps to do with producers'
                  rivalry between network and cable. If it weren't for "Jeopardy" (the
                  ONLY ABC show I watch regularly, NEVER their news shows or sit-coms),
                  I'd boycott that network entirely, but it wouldn't do me any good to
                  write to them and say that, because they couldn't care less, since I
                  don't fall into any of the categories their advertising directors are
                  targetting.

                  --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "b_ergang" <bergang@o...> wrote:
                  > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Wyatt James" <grobius@s...>
                  > wrote:
                  > PS, Barry, "Monk" only lasted a couple of weeks on ABC network, so
                  > no matter how good or not the series is, the minority (I guess it is
                  > a minority by now) of us who depend only on broadcast TV are screwed
                  > out of the opportunity of seeing it.
                  >

                  > Wyatt, I don't understand the programming "geniuses" at ABC either.
                  > Last year they touted the hell out of the show, running it on Monday
                  > nights as a lead-in to Monday Night Football. That lasted about four
                  > weeks.
                  >
                  > This year ABC advertised it with great fanfare yet again--no doubt
                  > because of the awards it's won--two episodes are Edgar nominees this
                  > year--and moved it to Saturday night at 10 p.m. They ran it for two
                  > weeks, then started running movies they padded out to three hours
                  > with commercial filler. (It used to be that you got four minutes or
                  > so of commercials during a half-hour of TV; today you get at *least*
                  > twelve minutes per half hour. It's just as bad on commercial cable
                  > channels as it is on the networks. As an addendum to your diatribe,
                  > even news broadcasts lack substance because they serve primarily as
                  > vehicles for commercials. Our local channels will cut away to a
                  > commercial segment lasting four minutes, come back and run thirty
                  > seconds of news if you're lucky, then cut away to four more minutes
                  > of advertising garbage. Anyone who doubts that corporations run the
                  > country need only watch an hour of commercial television to have
                  > his/her doubts dispelled.) Last night they padded the
                  > film "Frequency" to three hours. It was a good thing I'd seen it on
                  > DVD, because I'd have forgotten what was going on during the
                  > interruptions. It's a very good mystery/suspense/family drama with a
                  > touch of sci-fi.
                  >
                  > Anyway, for what it's worth, my local listings have ABC
                  > showing "Monk" next Saturday night. Of course, this could be a
                  > mistake if they didn't properly notify the country's newspapers, or
                  > if they decide to run something else on a sudden whim.
                  >
                  > Next time you write a William Blackstone Wildman story, consider
                  > making the victim a network programming executive. :-)
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Barry
                • RICHARD LIEDHOLM
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14 3:02 PM
                    Wyatt- I certainly understand your frustration with ABC. I guess I'd be upset too if I found Monk replaced with an insipid home video program. However, ABC cannot be completely boycotted since they are responsible for bringing the program Alias to the small screen. And I'm here to say that that one program can make one forgive many of ABC's previous sins. Viva la Jennifer Garner!!

                    Richard

> [...]

                    > seconds of news if you're lucky, then cut away to four more minutes
                    > of advertising garbage. Anyone who doubts that corporations run the
                    > country need only watch an hour of commercial television to have
                    > his/her doubts dispelled.) Last night they padded the
                    > film "Frequency" to three hours. It was a good thing I'd seen it on
                    > DVD, because I'd have forgotten what was going on during the
                    > interruptions. It's a very good mystery/suspense/family drama with a
                    > touch of sci-fi.
                    >
                    > Anyway, for what it's worth, my local listings have ABC
                    > showing "Monk" next Saturday night. Of course, this could be a
                    > mistake if they didn't properly notify the country's newspapers, or
                    > if they decide to run something else on a sudden whim.
                    >
                    > Next time you write a William Blackstone Wildman story, consider
                    > making the victim a network programming executive. :-)

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 14 5:18 PM
                      I tend to over-react. But I get really PO'd when networks think so
                      little of mystery fans that it seems whenever a program has to be
                      replaced by a special of some sort it is usually a mystery type of
                      show that gets pre-empted, never anything as important to them as
                      "Wheel of Fortune" (unless it's a 9/11 type disaster that happens in
                      this country -- but on the other hand, US networks didn't do anything
                      much about the train bombings in Spain, certainly didn't interrupt
                      'regular programming' in the middle of "Sex in the City" or the like
                      -- after all Spain is just a foreign country, so who cares what
                      happens there in the network mindset apart from the two-minute
                      sound-and-video-byte they can put on their 'Eyewitness News'). The USA
                      is one of the most ignorant countries in the world when it comes to
                      concern about what happens in other countries, unless it affects our
                      'national security' or economy. But a 'Funniest Home Videos' repeat
                      (if it was a repeat, how should I know?) didn't even fall into any
                      public-interest category as a reason to pre-empt a show like "Monk"
                      unless there is some nastiness going on in the networking department.

                      PS. I've never watched "Alias." Should I? Tell me something good about
                      it apart from Jennifer Garner.

                      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "RICHARD LIEDHOLM"

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 14 5:38 PM
                        I have to apologize for getting off the GAD thread here. Just want to
                        remind everybody about Sherlock Holmes, Bulldog Drummond, and most of
                        the GAD writers who thought British civilization was the best thing
                        since Periclean Athens. In fact, it probably was, but that's not
                        saying much in praise of it, because both had major built-in defects.
                        Look at what the Greeks did to Sophocles, or how the Brits whimpishly
                        abandonded their empire to tyrants like Mugabe, fairly recently, or
                        left in bloody chaos as in India. Most of what they gave up ended up
                        in anarchic chaos under the rule of warlords and crooks, and the
                        well-designed judicial and bureaucratic system that was the British
                        legacy left to be corrupted and destroyed. As Churchill said,
                        'Democracy is the worst form of government, except for everything else'.

                      • RICHARD LIEDHOLM
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 14 7:52 PM
                          Alias is an extremely complex multi-layered spy program. It is better written, acted and produced than most major motion spy pictures. Regrettably, Wyatt, it is a show that needs to be watched from episode 1, season 1, as there is a continuous thread that we follow through the heroes lives But loyal viewers are well rewarded for tuning in every week, since not only are we treated to a wonderfully suspenseful show, we are treated to well rounded (and written) characters that are so much fun to follow. Indeed the villains of the show (Sark, Sloane, etc.) are as interesting, if not more so, than the heroes. But ultimately, Alias succeeds through the great scripts. And it never, ever once rests on its laurels. Alias is one show (unlike the CSI and Law and Order shows) that is constantly looking for ways to reinvent itself. Rules on Alias are meant to be obeyed for about five episodes or so and then broken completely. It keeps a person guessing and pondering what is going to happen next. Truly a unique television experience-but again, it can only be appreciated if watched from the beginning. If you started now, you would be lost. And that, I am afraid, is the other side of the coin...

                          Richard

                          <jandrliedholm@m...> wrote:
                          > Wyatt- I certainly understand your frustration with ABC. I guess
                          I'd be upset too if I found Monk replaced with an insipid home video
                          program. However, ABC cannot be completely boycotted since they are
                          responsible for bringing the program Alias to the small screen. And
                          I'm here to say that that one program can make one forgive many of
                          ABC's previous sins. Viva la Jennifer Garner!!

                          > Richard

                          Yahoo! Groups Links