Quiz

  • Håkan Andersson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      I think the idea about a quiz is splendid!
      For those of You who want to warm up (before Christian start to
      pester us), there is a monthly quiz at Ellery Queen's Mystery
      Magazine, take a lóok at:

      http://www.themysteryplace.com/eqmm/trivia/

      (it can usually be solved by a quick search on the internet, which
      proved useful two months ago when yours truly won!)

      Maybe we can make this a regular thing, where the responsible for the
      quiz rotates among us?
      (In Scandinavia we've had a similar Quiz about Comic strips (called
      Comiquiz) since 1985, where one team creates a booklet with various
      things to solve and send it out by mail. The other teams have 90
      minutes and then have to phone the answers in.)
      Since we are scattered around the globe, it would probably work best
      with the kind of web/email-solution that Christian has devised.

      /Håkan

      Who want to win the third prize!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001

        Dear Christian,

        I suppose you could have a quiz like this:

        1. Write on as much of Mr. Campion's character as you can remember.
        2. Should Nigel Strangeways have committed adultery?  Does absence make the heart grow fonder?
        3. Discuss why Carolus Deene is the most original and memorable detective in all fiction.
        4. Is coffin up blood all over the butler a good idea?  (Sorry, deplorable pun, but couldn't help myself--neither could her half-baked murderers (get back in the oven, Gretel!).)
        5. Why is a ginch a good thing?  Ooo eee ooo eee.
        6. When in doubt, always have a man with a gun enter or a dead body--or both.  Discuss.
        7. Discuss why Postern of Fate is Agatha Christie's masterpiece in terms of constructing a surprising solution.
        8. How exciting is Freeman Wills Crofts?  Had Julian Symons read any of the authors he attacked in Bloody Murder?
        9. Write about the significance of Masonic ritual in Die Zauberflote with reference to the television series based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse mysteries.
        10. "They were the footprints of a gigantic penguin."  Does this line change the atmosphere of the book?  Write an excerpt from the book in which Sherlock Holmes deals with the Penguin of the Bodleyheads as it is about to murder Sir Allen Bodleyhead.
        11. Write a microscopic analysis of why reading R. Austin Freeman is like chewing on dry straw?
        12. My God, Gethryn!  Write a paragraph on the text size of the Philip Macdonald novels, and the amount of plotting in ratio to that of padding.
        13. How should Macbeth be produced?  Should it overbalance the plot?  Or should the play be responsible for causing harmless people to go haywire and decapitate others?
        14. Find a sane and sober plot in Gladys Mitchell's work, analyse it.  Reward of $5,000. shall be paid for successful discovery.
        15. Gaudy NightBusman's Honeymoon.  Say no more, say no more.  Know what I mean?  Nudge nudge wink wink.  Oh, My Lord!  "Busy old fool, unruly sunne..."  Anyway, I'm nearly Donne.
        16. Write a dissertation upon the pronounciation of "pfui".
        17. Romance should be kept out of detective stories.  Write a response to Van Dine's Garden Murder Case, keeping in mind his "Twenty Rules".

        Regards,

        Nick Fuller (who fully expects to be shot down in flames for perpetrating this outrage upon morals, and who, in fact, thinks that a quiz would be an excellent idea)

        Nokia Game is on again.
        Click here to join the new all media adventure before November 3rd.
      • chenrik@tiscali.se
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          --- In GAdetection@y..., Nicholas Fuller <stoke_moran@y...> wrote:

          > Dear Christian,
          > I suppose you could have a quiz like this:

          <snip>

          I could, but I won't. Anyway, that's not a quiz, that's a bloody
          university exam!

          Christian Henriksson (who is busy fine-tuning the _real_ quiz)
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001