Re: [GAdetection] Gardner/ C&L

  • Douglas Greene
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2003
      I just got off the phone with the agent representing the Erle Stanley
      Gardner estate, and they have responded very positively to my suggestion
      the Bill Pronzini edit a sesries of Gardnesr volumes for our Lost Classics
      series--each volume dedicated to one of his pulp characters--Senor Lobo,
      The Patent Leather Kid, Major Braine, Lester Leith, Sidney Zoom, The Man in
      the Silver Mask, Major Braine, Key-Clew Clark, and so on.

      Doug

      Douglas G. Greene
      Professor of History
      Old Dominion University
      Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
      Phone 757 683-3949
    • luis molina
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2003
        GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2003
          Hot off the presses, to complement Doug's news...

          David Moynihan at Blackmask now has a small but
          growing library of classic mystery eBooks (in
          copyright) available for the princely sum of 99
          cents US each. Even if you're not normally an
          e-book reader, this could be your chance to find
          out what all the fuss is about. The books are
          available in a variety of formatted but not
          copy-protected formats (i.e. on the honour system)
          and can be downloaded four more times if anything
          should go wrong with your original copies (or your
          computer crashes or gets stolen). Books currently
          include two Judge Dees by Robert Van Gulik, two
          Doan and Carstairs books by Norbert Davis and four
          Malone books by Craig Rice.

          I wrote to David about what's happening next and I
          got what I think is a pretty exciting reply. Here
          it is verbatim:

          _________________________

          [DM]Let me see, I'm gonna have the complete Craig
          Rice (save for some story
          collections), the complete E. Richard Johnson
          (save for his last, St.
          Martin's book), some Jonathan Latimer, and other
          titles down the pipe a bit.

          [DM]Long story, in the late '80s/early '90s there
          was a small press by the
          name of International Polygonics, which went under
          '95-96. They used
          to have something called "The Library of Crime
          Classics" and a person
          affiliated with them approached me about carrying
          titles, nearly all of
          which have been out of print since IP went down.

          [DM]It's been very successful so far, and I hope
          there's a lot more to
          come.

          ========================

          [JJ] I know the IP books included some Carter
          Dicksons, because I have some - hopefully these
          are among the more to come. Some of you may know
          more about this than I do - I'm especially
          intrigued by this mysterious 'person affiliated'.
          But I hope you'll agree that it's great news.
          Perhaps the GA Renaissance is on its way?

        • Tony Medawar
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2003
            Fantastic Doug. What's on your wishlist?
            I just got off the phone with the agent representing the Erle Stanley
            Gardner estate, and they have responded very positively to my suggestion
            the Bill Pronzini edit a sesries of Gardnesr volumes for our Lost Classics
            series--each volume dedicated to one of his pulp characters--Senor Lobo,
            The Patent Leather Kid, Major Braine, Lester Leith, Sidney Zoom, The Man in
            the Silver Mask, Major Braine, Key-Clew Clark, and so on.

            Doug

            Douglas G. Greene
            Professor of History
            Old Dominion University
            Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
            Phone 757 683-3949

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Douglas Greene
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2003
              Tony Medawar asked what Gardner volumes are on C&L's wishlist. The series
              will be assembled by Bill Pronzini. Here is(are) his first suggestion(s):

              >There are two ways to go with the first collection: a gathering of ESG's
              nonseries stories; or a gathering of tales featuring a DFW series
              character.
              If the former, the centerpiece would be a very good long detective
              novelette
              called "A Man is Missing" from American Magazine, which to the best of my
              knowledge has never been reprinted ("It was a strange company that started
              into the mountains. Two were searching for a missing man. The third was
              disguising her purpose. They found their answers in a deserted,
              bloodstained cabin.") Among the others I'd include would be ESG's only
              contribution to the hardboiled digest, Manhunt. If you prefer starting
              with
              a series character, I'd suggest either Lester Leith, probably ESG's
              best-known pulp sleuth, or The Patent Leather Kid; there are enough stories
              about each to fill two or three volumes. Other DFW characters for
              subsequent collections: Senor Lobo, Sidney Zoom, and The Man in the Silver
              Mask.<

              I like the idea of starting with the American Magazine novelette, but
              nothing has been decided yet -- and won't be until we get official word
              from the estate.

              Doug

              Douglas G. Greene
              Professor of History
              Old Dominion University
              Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
              Phone 757 683-3949
            • RICHARD LIEDHOLM
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2003
                Dear Doug- You may wonder why it's taken me so long to respond to this marvelous news but I've been away over the weekend.

                All I can say is that I am delighted beyond words to hear that you are considering adding some of the uncollected pulp work of Gardner to your list of C&L releases. I still maintain that his pulp work shows Gardner at his best as a stylist. Any of the collections you have mentioned would be delightful. I would like to personally say that I would love you to start with an Ed Jenkins (The Phantom Crook) collection because I like this character so much. But regardless of who it is, I'll be there with cash in hand...

                Also, in a previous post you mentioned re-printing the novella A Man is Missing. Did you say that this has never been printed before? You will find this novella in the collection entitled The Case of the Irate Witness, a collection that has a Mason short, a Lester Leith novella, a marvelous non-series novella entitled The Jeweled Butterfly (the best of this collection) and A Man is Missing.

                A Man is Missing is a fine story and very picturesque for a Gardner. I would recommend it-although I have to admit I would be disappointed if this were in a new collection since it has already seen the light of day in another format. I don't mean to sound discouraging-this is just a personal opinion.

                Regardless of personal preference, I'm looking forward to your news on these volumes, which, I hope, will delight many of the Gardner fans out there!

                Richard