    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2003
      'You had better see this yourself,' he said, heavily, 'as a matter of evidence. But I warn you to be prepared.'

      'Prepared for what?' asked the other.

      'Only for the most wonderful thing I ever saw in my life,' said Father Brown.
      --The Vanishing of Vaudrey

      Having released the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey, Margery Allingham's Campion and with very tentative plans to release Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn, Acorn Media has now turned their attention to the exploits of the greatest detective of them all: Father Brown.

      Three sets of D.V.D.s / videos have been released, available only from Acorn U.K. They are:

      The Hammer of God
      The Oracle of the Dog
      The Curse of the Golden Cross
      The Eye of Apollo
      The Three Tools of Death

      The Mirror of the Magistrate
      The Dagger with Wings
      The Actor and the Alibi
      The Quick One

      The Man with Two Beards
      The Head of Caesar
      The Arrow of Heaven
      The Secret Garden

      TV-wise, this is probably the best news since hearing that Gwyneth Paltrow is starring in the Suchet Death on the Nile. Has anybody seen the More series? If so, what did they think?

      Incidentally, B.B.C. Radio 7 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/drama/) often broadcasts radio adaptations: Murder on the Orient Express finishes tonight, with Evil Under the Sun to begin next week. In the past, they have broadcast Father Brown, Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes. Ain't modern technology wonderful!

      Nick Fuller

      'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

      Yahoo! Search