Re: [GAdetection] National Book Award

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2003
      Barry wrote:

      > Not everyone agrees.
      >
      > "He is a man who writes what used to be called penny dreadfuls,"
      > Yale University professor Harold Bloom told the New York
      > Times. "That they could believe that there is any literary value
      > there or any aesthetic accomplishment or signs of an inventive human
      > intelligence is simply a testimony to their own idiocy."

      That a contemporary Yale University professor still believes in hierarchy of
      genres and so dismisses an author because of the kind of books he writes, is
      really a testimony to his own colossal academic idiocy.

      > I'm not among the hardcore Stephen King cognoscenti, but I've read
      > enough of his work to know that, generally speaking, what he writes
      > effectively fulfills its purpose. The fact that the award pissed off
      > Harold Bloom makes my smile widen. Until I saw this article, I was
      > unaware that Ray Bradbury had also received the award. It should give
      > additional hope to both readers and writers to know that some out
      > there aren't discriminating against certain kinds of fiction just
      > because they're marketed according to genre.

      Whether one likes him or not, King is a very distinctive author, and his
      later books can't be regarded only as "penny dreadfuls". I'm glad a genre
      writer assuming his status gets recognition from mainstream pundits, as it
      could mean the walls are falling down.