Street's 3rd pseudonym!

  • twoshed2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
      As revealed in the latest CADS 44 by Tony Medawar Street's 3rd
      pseudonym was Cecil Waye.4 very elusive titles(with series detective
      Christopher Perrin) are to be hunted down:
      Murder at Monk's Barn(Hodder 1931)
      The Figure of Eight(Hodder 1931)
      The End of the Chase(Hodder 1932)
      The Prime Minister's pencil(Hodder 1933)
      A very detailed,excellent article about this revelation can be found
      in the latest CADS 44,available from Geoff Bradley,9 Vicarage
      Hill,South Benfleet,Essex,SS7 1PA ,England.(incl. postage to
      UK/Europe:5 pounds,USA air 10 dollars.)
      twoshed
      (who might have snatched the only copy in the net this morning("The
      end of the chase"),unless somebody in the UK got an earlier mail
      delivery...before 9.15am..)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2003
        I admit to be some disappointed with that third pseudonym (maybe there's a
        fourth?) as I hoped it to be a more groundbreaking revelation. There are so
        many 'cult' authors we know nothing about; it would have been fun to
        discover Major Street behind one of them. What do you plan to do regarding
        group's name? Will it be changed into "johnrhodemilesburtoncecilwaye" or
        something like that? Or simply "rhodeburtonwaye"?

        P.S.: Everything being possible with such a prolific, and in some ways
        secret, author, maybe we should consider possibility Street was the actual
        author of "Madame Solario". Now that would be a scoop. ;-)
      • vegetableduck
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2003
          Unlike Nick, I haven't read The Prime Minister's Pencil, but it has
          been sitting on my shelves for a couple years now. I had forgotten
          all about it. I wish I had recalled the name. I had wondered if
          the name was a play on Street/Rhode. Cecil John Charles Street.
          John Rhode. Cecil Waye. Anyone for Charles Path?

          Checked ABE and I see that there are no Waye books available.
          Formerly, both The Figure of Eight and The Prime Minister's Pencil
          were available. The latter I know was published in the States. My
          copy of it is a fine condition G & D reprint with jacket. Twoshed
          may have tracked a copy of The End of the Track, I see. Does anyone
          else have copies of Waye titles? I narrowly missed getting a copy
          of Murder at Monk's Barn a few years ago. I hate to think what
          they'll be asking for this elusive title now.

          I'm not surpised to hear that The PM's Pencil is a poor work.
          Street published so many titles that year. By my judgment, fully
          five of them are worthy works. I suppose I'll be sittng down with
          Pencil myself shortly.

          CJE

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Xavier Lechard"

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2003
            I should have written "I had wondered if the name would be...." I
            had come across the name a few years ago as a minor GA author of
            possible interest, but of course I didn't know about the additional
            Street pseudonym then. Now, naturally, it seems so obvious, doesn't
            it? It's a bit like the purloined letter. On the shelves the whole
            time....

            Curt

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "vegetableduck" <jsev@e...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2003
              On page four of The Prime Minister's Pencil, a character says, "You
              see, it's like this." That's probably Street's most overused line.
            • Bevis Benneworth
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17, 2003
                I notice that Nigel Williams has for sale the original artwork for the wrappers of

                Waye, Cecil. Original dustwrapper artwork for "Murder At Monk's Barn".
                Hodder and Stoughton 1931 SIGNED "Eugene Hastain 31". Near Fine (raised lettering partially removed). 28 x 41 cms, not including frame and card mount. Gouache and ink on card (Book ref. 51781) £275.00

                and

                Rhode, John.Waye, Cecil. Original dustwrapper artwork for "The End Of The Chase".
                Hodder and Stoughton n.d. Near Fine. 32 x 42 cms, not including card mount. Watercolour on card (Book ref. 51753) £95.00

                Bevis

                ---