RE: [GAdetection] Database: Top 100 Detective Novels

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
      Wyatt -

      I can't really take much credit for the list, but
      I seem to remember that there was a voting process
      extending over several weeks.

      I've locked down some of the editing capabilities
      within the group website to deter spamming, but if
      anyone wants to edit and reload the table with
      additional information let me know.

      My feeling on votes is influenced by the fact that
      my own personal tastes change from day to day. For
      that reason I'm always reluctant to call something
      the 'best' (or 'worst') in absolute terms in case
      I change my mind later. A fading memory also makes
      it hard to compare books I read years ago with
      ones I have read recently - and when I do re-read
      I often find my recollections are wrong anyway.

      But please feel free to organise another vote. Our
      membership is now 129, by the way, and we've had
      about half-a-dozen applications from spammers
      which I've blocked. I suspect that membership
      figures for many of the smaller Yahoo groups would
      be considerably inflated by spammer numbers now.

      Jon.

      Detective Novels

      > Just had a look at the Database section and saw
      Jon's list of Top 100
      > GAD books. Very interesting. It would be nice,
      also, to add a column
      > describing category -- keep it limited to less
      than ten preselected
      > categories, such as Locked Room, Private Eye,
      Cosy,
      > Procedural, etc. Perhaps this topic should be
      revised, or
      > opened up again, to members
      > who have joined since then. How were the votes
      gathered? Is there a
      > polling system for this?

      ---

      Checked by AVG anti-virus system
      (http://www.grisoft.com).
      Date: 19/08/2003
    • W. Peck
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
        I agree with you, Jon, about the absolute "best" and "worst" of things,
        especially in fiction -- why is Tolstoy's War and Peace so generally ac-
        cepted not only as the best but as the "greatest" also? -- specifically
        in mystery and detective fiction. Nevertheless, there's another list of
        which you and Wyatt are surely aware, "One Hundred Favorite Mysteries of
        the Century," as chosen by the Independent Mystery Booksellers
        Association.
        It's available from the association's website or I could e-mail it as an
        attachment to either of you for inclusion in the group's database or files
        if you consider it worthwhile.
        ;

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com