Re: Norbert Davis note

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2003
      I was unaware that Davis had done any ghosting, Thomas, but given
      the quirky characters and situations in his original work, I can
      imagine him feeling hemmed in by the formulaic requirements of a
      series like Doc Savage--hence the weakness of the results. For the
      pulps, in addition to non-series stories, he created a series
      starring Doan and Carstairs, a private detective and his Great Dane;
      and the Max Latin series which appeared in DIME DETECTIVE. He wrote
      three novels starring Doan and Carstairs: THE MOUSE IN THE MOUNTAIN;
      SALLY'S IN THE ALLEY; and OH, MURDERER MINE. Besides the pulps, he
      also published work in some of the slicks, most notably the SATURDAY
      EVENING POST.

      Wyatt writes:

      > > Norbert Davis was one of the "Black Mask" boys, but he must have
      been
      > > better than most because he doesn't rate any treatment in
      Pronzini's