Re: [GAdetection] Hackers

  • Bill Vande Water
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      At least these spammers are obvious with what they are selling and you can delete them unopened (assume they can be purged from the archive); I hate the ones whose subject line just might be of interest

      Isn't there some way in which members wishing to join the group have to be passed by the listowner or moderator. Most of the spammers are not going to go to the trouble of proving they know who wrote John Dickson Carr's biography in order to reach less than two hundred people.

      Might be fun to work out an "entrance exam" for the list. Just to be mean the questions would not relate to any author whose work has been televised. (Or to be really sneaky, the questions could relate to things the broadcasts got wrong -- things only the readers could get write (pun intended)

      Bill (who never managed to get more than half the answers to one of John Bennett Shaw's Sherlockian quizzes: eg: which story is hinted at --- "if the first Pope had been African")

        I thought it was a plot by the hard-boiled contingent to introduce us to
        their reality.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
          Wyatt wrote:

          > Well, Duck Tape Lady was good for a laugh, but it looks as though the
          > hackers have found their way into this Yahoo group (see those two
          > July 31 postings). Isn't there some way to control this? Has Yahoo
          > been notified?

          I have a third question: why do hackers think clean, decent, honest people
          like us might be interested in their products? Do we look perverse? Are
          Golden Age readers notouriously sex-obsessed? Is there something about
          Agatha Christie's or Ellery Queen' sex-life I should know?
          More seriously, there's a plague of hacking at Yahoo lately, and
          mystery-related groups seem to be target number one. The most "honoured"
          forum in my knowledge is an unfortunate sherlockian group, where sex-related
          messages crop up three a day on an average.
          Restricted membership is the only solution, and I think we're all on our way
          to this. Free access groups will soon be history, I think.

        • W. Peck
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
            I hasten to underscore every remark made on this subject. I've lately
            left
            both the IrfanView and Crimson Editor Users Yahoo! Groups for this reason.
            In each case, at least ninety percent of postings received during the past
            couple or three weeks have been about sorority sex, randy husbands, group
            groping, unfulfilled wives and the like. I appealed a couple of times to
            the moderators, got no response, then departed. I most certainly don't
            want to do that here...or in any of the other very worthwhile mystery and
            detective fiction groups in which I pleasurably participate with no sexual
            overtones attached.
            ;
            --- Xavier Lechard <x.lechard@...> wrote:
            > Wyatt wrote:
            >
            > > Well, Duck Tape Lady was good for a laugh, but it looks as though the
            > > hackers have found their way into this Yahoo group (see those two
            > > July 31 postings). Isn't there some way to control this? Has Yahoo
            > > been notified?
            >
            > I have a third question: why do hackers think clean, decent, honest
            > people
            > like us might be interested in their products? Do we look perverse? Are
            > Golden Age readers notouriously sex-obsessed? Is there something about
            > Agatha Christie's or Ellery Queen' sex-life I should know?
            > More seriously, there's a plague of hacking at Yahoo lately, and
            > mystery-related groups seem to be target number one. The most "honoured"
            > forum in my knowledge is an unfortunate sherlockian group, where
            > sex-related
            > messages crop up three a day on an average.
            > Restricted membership is the only solution, and I think we're all on our
            > way
            > to this. Free access groups will soon be history, I think.
            >
            > Friendly,
            > Xavier

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Bill Vande Water
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
              Spammers have no idea who their stuff is going to; they use random generated email addresses most of the time -- like snail mail advertisers they just hope for one response out of every thousand or so. Their expenses are nil.
              One of the ways, so it is said, to avoid the spam is to use an email address beginning with a number because most of their generators work with alphabetical email addresses; They also suggest using word/number combinations. The new anti spam laws should help cut this down. But a lot of it is from out of the country. I got an spam at 7am this morning that was time/dated tomorrow---which places the sender somewhere near HongKong, I think. You can block everyone you don't know; but then if a friend changes their email you don't get the message. It's even hard to block by content -- there is the story of a library computer that blocked Star Trek site because someone had referred to Picard as a "sexy bald captain."
              I can access my mail from the web first, so I usually go out and delete everything that is obviously not for me. Takes me about ten minutes a day.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
                I will notify Yahoo (which is notoriously bad at responding to user
                feedback) and set up a requirement where I have to approve applications
                for membership, but that will only help with addresses that are
                obviously spammers, and anyone who plans to make a habit of this will
                choose an innocuous-looking address anyway. As I said earlier, there is
                clearly much more work involved in spamming Yahoo newsgroups than in
                sending out a message to a million or so addresses at a time, and I
                can't believe that there will be enough of a response to make it worth
                while. There are are indications that spam will soon be made illegal in
                the US and presumably elsewhere, and I wonder if this is a last
                desperate measure by the spammers to try and drum up business.

                On another matter, I am looking at the current issue of Newswrite, the
                magazine for NSW writers and editors, and I see it advertises a 'seminar
                for crime readers and writers'. I like to think that JDC would be
                spinning in his grave at the mere thought of a 'seminar', but especially
                since two of the speakers are a private eye and a 'crime behaviour
                expert'. I can hear Dr. Fell now: "Archons of Athens! What in the name
                of all that's holy have real crimes and real detectives got to do with
                mystery stories?"

                Jon.

                > Well, Duck Tape Lady was good for a laugh, but it looks as though the
                > hackers have found their way into this Yahoo group (see those two
                > July 31 postings). Isn't there some way to control this? Has Yahoo
                > been notified?

                ---