Re: What do you recommend?

  • aria376
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      As a very late reply, this applies more to "'obscure' authors" than
      "any of those styles." Obscure as an author, C.S. Forester is read
      less today than yesterday, yet even then was known primarily as the
      creator and chronicler of "Horatio Hornblower." His first novel,
      however, was 'Payment Deferred,' a crime novel published in 1926 in
      England. From the cover blurb:
      Driven by despair and desperation, Mr. Marble, a mild-mannered,
      very civilised but financially undisciplined family man, commits
      unpremeditated murder...for money. As the shock of what he has
      done haunts him -- at the office, at home, in the privacy of his
      own nightmares, his closely guarded secret begins to control his
      every thought, his every move and motivates him to incredible
      financial manipulations. All this to protect the special secret
      that lay buried in his garden.
      It was followed in 1930 by 'Plain Murder,' seven years before the
      Hornblower series began. Both titles were reprinted as paperbacks
      in 1970 by Pan in London, England and in 1979 by Pinnacle in Los
      Angeles, California in the United States.
      My apologies for the undue tardiness of this response.
      ;

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        I recently saw the film "Payment Deferred" starring Charles
        Laughton. I'd never read the book, but remembered that Forester had
        written one with the same title. The credits, however, attributed it
        to a different author whose name I don't recall and said it was
        adapted for the screen from his stage play. Nevertheless, the blurb
        you cite suggests that the story is the same.

        As for the recommendation of an obscure author, try to find a copy
        of Cecil Jenkins' MESSAGE FROM SIRIUS. I read it eons ago in a
        Bantam paperback edition, and subsequently acquired a hardcover
        (Dodd, Mead)on e-Bay.

        It was published in 1961. Quoting from the book jacket: "A little
        over a year ago Collins, the distinguished London publisher,
        instituted a competition for the best crime novel by a university
        don. Judges in the contest were Agatha Christie, Julian Symons, and
        C.D. Lewis. Publishers from England, France, Germany, Italy and
        Sweden joined in the award, with Dodd, Mead representing the United
        States. MESSAGE FROM SIRIUS is the work of Cecil Jenkins, a lecturer
        in French at Exeter University.

        "Who was behind the uncanny murders of two public personalities? Who
        was it who killed from the highest motives and explained himself
        under the pseudonym of Sirius in the public press? The answer lies
        in this distinguished prize winner, a brilliant combination of
        straight mystery and of a vogue in crime fiction."

        Agatha Christie's cover blurb reads: "Both exciting and original."
        Julian Symons wrote: "That great rarity, a truly original crime
        novel."

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "aria376" <aria376@y...> wrote:
        > As a very late reply, this applies more to "'obscure' authors" than
        > "any of those styles." Obscure as an author, C.S. Forester is read
        > less today than yesterday, yet even then was known primarily as the
        > creator and chronicler of "Horatio Hornblower." His first novel,
        > however, was 'Payment Deferred,' a crime novel published in 1926 in
        > England. From the cover blurb:
        > Driven by despair and desperation, Mr. Marble, a mild-mannered,
        > very civilised but financially undisciplined family man, commits
        > unpremeditated murder...for money. As the shock of what he has
        > done haunts him -- at the office, at home, in the privacy of his
        > own nightmares, his closely guarded secret begins to control his
        > every thought, his every move and motivates him to incredible
        > financial manipulations. All this to protect the special secret
        > that lay buried in his garden.
        > >
        > > They really have nothing in common, but do any of you have any
        > > recommendations of "obscure" authors who write good books in any
        > > of those styles?
        > >
        > > Christian Henriksson
        > > (christianhenriksson@t...)
        > > --
        > > The human race, to which so many of my
        > > readers belong.
        > > - G. K. Chesterton
      • W. Peck
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
          Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it.
          ;

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Christian Henriksson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
            Lo and behold, on 1 Jul 2003 at 20:52, aria376 sayeth thus:

            > As a very late reply, this applies more to "'obscure' authors" than
            > "any of those styles." Obscure as an author, C.S. Forester is read
            > less today than yesterday, yet even then was known primarily as the
            > creator and chronicler of "Horatio Hornblower." His first novel,
            > however, was 'Payment Deferred,' a crime novel published in 1926 in
            > England. From the cover blurb:
            > Driven by despair and desperation, Mr. Marble, a mild-mannered,
            > very civilised but financially undisciplined family man, commits
            > unpremeditated murder...for money. As the shock of what he has
            > done haunts him -- at the office, at home, in the privacy of his
            > own nightmares, his closely guarded secret begins to control his
            > every thought, his every move and motivates him to incredible
            > financial manipulations. All this to protect the special secret
            > that lay buried in his garden.
            > It was followed in 1930 by 'Plain Murder,' seven years before the
            > Hornblower series began. Both titles were reprinted as paperbacks in
            > 1970 by Pan in London, England and in 1979 by Pinnacle in Los Angeles,
            > California in the United States. My apologies for the undue tardiness
            > of this response. ;

            Thanks for all the recommendations (late or not :). I'll see if I can find anything by these
            authors that you've all given.
            Christian Henriksson
            (christianhenriksson@...)
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
              Try Hammond Innes's "Wreck of the Mary Deare". More a thriller than a
              mystery, it is still one of the most fascinating sea tales ever
              written, with both an exciting shipwreck (and a 'Mary Celeste' type
              mystery) and a fine trial section.
            • W. Peck
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
                Of course you're more than welcome.