Distributed Proofreading

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
      Passing on some eBook news from David Moynihan at Blackmask:

      "...I've received e-mails from Juliet Sutherland, who's been running
      tons of projects for the Distributed Proofreaders. Ms. Sutherland will
      soon be in custody of the project's second high-speed scanner, and sent
      me a really long list of mysteries that they'll be working on. The idea
      is to handle numerous "easy" books--as well as the tough stuff like
      reference works, religious matters, etc...."

      I'm not sure if I like the implication that mysteries are always 'easy',
      but otherwise this is wonderful news. You can contact David at
      www.blackmask.com and Distributed Proofreaders at www.pgdp.net if you'd
      like to lend a hand with the proofreading.

      ---
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
        Those admirers of David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot may be interested to know that the three Poirot episodes due to appear in 2004 are:

        1. Death on the Nile
        2. Dead Man's Folly
        3. Five Little Pigs

        This last is particularly interesting: how will they be able to make an adaptation of a book in which there is very little Poirot? Will it be as much of a disappointment and failure as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? We shall see.

        Hopefully they will film After the Funeral next.

        Nick

        'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
          Others to be filmed this year are Sad Cypress and The Hollow.

          Nick

          Nicholas Fuller <stoke_moran@...> wrote:
          Those admirers of David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot may be interested to know that the three Poirot episodes due to appear in 2004 are:

          1. Death on the Nile
          2. Dead Man's Folly
          3. Five Little Pigs

          This last is particularly interesting: how will they be able to make an adaptation of a book in which there is very little Poirot? Will it be as much of a disappointment and failure as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? We shall see.

          Hopefully they will film After the Funeral next.

          Nick

          'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
            To look at the Blog web site click on the link at the top of this
            group's Home Page (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/). To post to this
            Blog you need to go, illogically, to BLOGGER, not BLOGSPOT!, at
            http://www.blogger.com There if you are not a registered member, you
            can sign up as one for free. When you have created your Blog id you
            will get a maintenance page. Click on the ADD BLOG button on the
            right and insert gadective.blogspot.com (I think it will allow you to
            add it, but if not send your Blog userid to Jon and ask him to
            activate you for GAD.)

            While you're at this, you might as well set up your own Blog web page
            if you want one, otherwise you will just get a Blogger page when
            somebody goes to yourname.blogspot.com.
          • W. Peck
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
              Okay. Thanks. I'll try it (again).
              ;
              --- Wyatt James <grobius@...> wrote:
              > To look at the Blog web site click on the link at the top of this
              > group's Home Page (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/). To post to this
              > Blog you need to go, illogically, to BLOGGER, not BLOGSPOT!, at
              > http://www.blogger.com There if you are not a registered member, you
              > can sign up as one for free. When you have created your Blog id you
              > will get a maintenance page. Click on the ADD BLOG button on the
              > right and insert gadective.blogspot.com (I think it will allow you to
              > add it, but if not send your Blog userid to Jon and ask him to
              > activate you for GAD.)
              >
              > While you're at this, you might as well set up your own Blog web page
              > if you want one, otherwise you will just get a Blogger page when
              > somebody goes to yourname.blogspot.com.

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • W. Peck
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                I just tried it. And got the identical results as before. Since I
                already
                am a registered member, it again responded to input of my user ID and
                pass-
                word with only one option--to create a blog. In other words, there is no
                ADD BLOG button. Nevertheless, when I essentially follow your
                instructions
                in order to gain full access to gadetective.blogspot.com, it simply
                advises
                that such a blog exists already. I've known that all along, of course,
                and
                have gone to that URL often to read reviews; but I've never had full
                access
                to be able to also contribute reviews--which I'd really enjoy doing.
                ;

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 17, 2003
                  Beats me! It's a very confusing system. Maybe Jon has to do it on his
                  side and include your Blogger ID as a user. There is an ADD TEAM
                  MEMBER feature under SETTINGS when you edit your Blog.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 17, 2003
                    I don't know any more about this than I did a couple of months ago. To post to
                    the blog you have to be invited; I've sent off several invitations in the past
                    but only four other people have successfully responded: there are seven
                    invitations pending which I will resend today.

                    There may be browser problems with blocked cookies, blocked JavaScript, etc,
                    etc, which will interfere with attempts to access the blog creation site at
                    www.blogger.com. One option is to try another browser - I use Mozilla, which I'm
                    very happy with, and which is available as a free download.

                    Jon.