RE: [GAdetection] HARDLY A MAN IS NOW ALIVE by Herbert Brean

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 28, 2003
      I'd like to use the blogger site to post reviews like this, since it
      doesn't appear to have the space and size limitations of Yahoo groups.
      I'll assume that I have the authors' permission to do so unless you
      specifically tell me otherwise. I'll also try and organise them in a
      sensible way.

      ---
    • W. Peck
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 28, 2003
        Makes sense; sounds good. But I'm afraid others as well as myself really
        don't understand the blogger site, Jon, how to access it, how to use it.
        Each of the few times I've taken a look at it, there appears to be no way
        one can read existing pages -- in this case, the Golden Age area that you
        set up. It appears to serve only those who wish to create a new blog, not
        to add to an existing one. I, for one, would appreciate any further sug-
        gestions or instructions that you could provide. Thanks.
        ;

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 29, 2003
          The very name "Blogger" sounds like the imprecation you might be
          inclined to mutter once you've gotten to the site and been stymied
          by it. I finally managed to access the GAD page
          (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/), but I'll be damned if I can
          figure out how to post or reply to the messages shown.

          I'd like to know who the deranged blogger was who designed this
          format thinking it would be so utilitarian.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 29, 2003
            Thank you.
            And I concur....
            ;
            --- b_ergang <bergang@...> wrote:
            > The very name "Blogger" sounds like the imprecation you might be
            > inclined to mutter once you've gotten to the site and been stymied
            > by it. I finally managed to access the GAD page
            > (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/), but I'll be damned if I can
            > figure out how to post or reply to the messages shown.
            >
            > I'd like to know who the deranged blogger was who designed this
            > format thinking it would be so utilitarian.
            >

            > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "W. Peck" <aria376@y...> wrote:
            > > Makes sense; sounds good. But I'm afraid others as well as myself
            > really
            > > don't understand the blogger site, Jon, how to access it, how to
            > use it.
            > > Each of the few times I've taken a look at it, there appears to be
            > no way
            > > one can read existing pages -- in this case, the Golden Age area
            > that you
            > > set up. It appears to serve only those who wish to create a new
            > blog, not
            > > to add to an existing one. I, for one, would appreciate any
            > further sug-
            > > gestions or instructions that you could provide. Thanks.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Ralph, Adrienne (HEA-MEL)
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 29, 2003
              Hi Jon and the rest of the group

              Due to a crackdown at work, I need to desubcribe from the group please. I
              have enjoyed the group discussions very much and will miss the lively
              debates.

              Please keep me in the loop for Doug's publication of the Mitchell short
              stories, with an intro by our own esteemed Nick Fuller.

              With best wishes

              Adrienne

              I'd like to use the blogger site to post reviews like this, since it doesn't
              appear to have the space and size limitations of Yahoo groups. I'll assume
              that I have the authors' permission to do so unless you specifically tell me
              otherwise. I'll also try and organise them in a sensible way.

              ---

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get
              A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/kqIolB/TM

              This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
              delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose
              or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken
              precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we
              advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail.
              We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                Ditto. It looks as though the entire GAD membership would have to be
                Blogger users, and be signed on as contibuting members to the site by
                its owner (well, Yahoo/Groups sort of works that way too, but signing
                on to a Yahoo Group doesn't involve the owner's intervention
                manually). If the Blogger site isn't made available to the public via
                a search engine or something like that, then what is the point of it?
                More like a throwback to the days of DOS Newsgroups or whatever they
                were called.

                (On the other hand, I agree it might be a good place to post long
                reviews of books, since those require a lot of time to digest. Saves
                your having to create your own web page -- which few people will read
                anyway -- for the same purpose, and having to go through the html
                learning curve. This would centralize some of the very fine reviews
                we have had on GAD, and possibly bypass a lot of the dreck messages
                on GAD -- of which I have to admit many are mine -- but I would post
                only reviews on Blogger.)

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                  Adrienne - there's an unsubscribe line at the bottom of each message.
                  You can, however, stay a member of the group but set yourself to receive
                  no messages - see http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/gadetection.

                  Thanks for your support!

                  Jon.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                    To add to the blog you need to be added to the 'team', which in turn
                    involves registering with www.blogger.com. Send me your email address
                    and I'll add it to the team. This will cause a prompt message to be sent
                    inviting you to register.

                    But I agree that the site is not very helpful.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                      Okay, Jon. You've somehow convinced me to give it a try.
                      aria376@...
                      ;

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                        Jon, as moderator of this group you might want to put a link in the
                        Yahoo/GAD blurb to the Blogger site Goldenage. That is, if it catches
                        on with GAD members. On your main Blogger page, have an explanation
                        of how to 'join' etc.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                          Passing on some eBook news from David Moynihan at Blackmask:

                          "...I've received e-mails from Juliet Sutherland, who's been running
                          tons of projects for the Distributed Proofreaders. Ms. Sutherland will
                          soon be in custody of the project's second high-speed scanner, and sent
                          me a really long list of mysteries that they'll be working on. The idea
                          is to handle numerous "easy" books--as well as the tough stuff like
                          reference works, religious matters, etc...."

                          I'm not sure if I like the implication that mysteries are always 'easy',
                          but otherwise this is wonderful news. You can contact David at
                          www.blackmask.com and Distributed Proofreaders at www.pgdp.net if you'd
                          like to lend a hand with the proofreading.

                          ---
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                            Those admirers of David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot may be interested to know that the three Poirot episodes due to appear in 2004 are:

                            1. Death on the Nile
                            2. Dead Man's Folly
                            3. Five Little Pigs

                            This last is particularly interesting: how will they be able to make an adaptation of a book in which there is very little Poirot? Will it be as much of a disappointment and failure as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? We shall see.

                            Hopefully they will film After the Funeral next.

                            Nick

                            'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                              Others to be filmed this year are Sad Cypress and The Hollow.

                              Nick

                              Nicholas Fuller <stoke_moran@...> wrote:
                              Those admirers of David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot may be interested to know that the three Poirot episodes due to appear in 2004 are:

                              1. Death on the Nile
                              2. Dead Man's Folly
                              3. Five Little Pigs

                              This last is particularly interesting: how will they be able to make an adaptation of a book in which there is very little Poirot? Will it be as much of a disappointment and failure as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? We shall see.

                              Hopefully they will film After the Funeral next.

                              Nick

                              'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                                To look at the Blog web site click on the link at the top of this
                                group's Home Page (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/). To post to this
                                Blog you need to go, illogically, to BLOGGER, not BLOGSPOT!, at
                                http://www.blogger.com There if you are not a registered member, you
                                can sign up as one for free. When you have created your Blog id you
                                will get a maintenance page. Click on the ADD BLOG button on the
                                right and insert gadective.blogspot.com (I think it will allow you to
                                add it, but if not send your Blog userid to Jon and ask him to
                                activate you for GAD.)

                                While you're at this, you might as well set up your own Blog web page
                                if you want one, otherwise you will just get a Blogger page when
                                somebody goes to yourname.blogspot.com.
                              • W. Peck
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                                  Okay. Thanks. I'll try it (again).
                                  ;
                                  --- Wyatt James <grobius@...> wrote:
                                  > To look at the Blog web site click on the link at the top of this
                                  > group's Home Page (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/). To post to this
                                  > Blog you need to go, illogically, to BLOGGER, not BLOGSPOT!, at
                                  > http://www.blogger.com There if you are not a registered member, you
                                  > can sign up as one for free. When you have created your Blog id you
                                  > will get a maintenance page. Click on the ADD BLOG button on the
                                  > right and insert gadective.blogspot.com (I think it will allow you to
                                  > add it, but if not send your Blog userid to Jon and ask him to
                                  > activate you for GAD.)
                                  >
                                  > While you're at this, you might as well set up your own Blog web page
                                  > if you want one, otherwise you will just get a Blogger page when
                                  > somebody goes to yourname.blogspot.com.

                                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                • W. Peck
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                                    I just tried it. And got the identical results as before. Since I
                                    already
                                    am a registered member, it again responded to input of my user ID and
                                    pass-
                                    word with only one option--to create a blog. In other words, there is no
                                    ADD BLOG button. Nevertheless, when I essentially follow your
                                    instructions
                                    in order to gain full access to gadetective.blogspot.com, it simply
                                    advises
                                    that such a blog exists already. I've known that all along, of course,
                                    and
                                    have gone to that URL often to read reviews; but I've never had full
                                    access
                                    to be able to also contribute reviews--which I'd really enjoy doing.
                                    ;

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 17, 2003
                                      Beats me! It's a very confusing system. Maybe Jon has to do it on his
                                      side and include your Blogger ID as a user. There is an ADD TEAM
                                      MEMBER feature under SETTINGS when you edit your Blog.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 17, 2003
                                        I don't know any more about this than I did a couple of months ago. To post to
                                        the blog you have to be invited; I've sent off several invitations in the past
                                        but only four other people have successfully responded: there are seven
                                        invitations pending which I will resend today.

                                        There may be browser problems with blocked cookies, blocked JavaScript, etc,
                                        etc, which will interfere with attempts to access the blog creation site at
                                        www.blogger.com. One option is to try another browser - I use Mozilla, which I'm
                                        very happy with, and which is available as a free download.

                                        Jon.