HARDLY A MAN IS NOW ALIVE by Herbert Brean

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 28, 2003
      On the drive to Concord, Massachusetts, photojournalist Reynold
      Frame and his fianceé Constance Wilder (whom Frame first met in
      WILDERS WALK AWAY) want nothing more than to get married and go on
      their honeymoon. Frame has but one other task to complete while he's
      there: photograph a visiting professor of American history, Dr.
      Vann, at one of the sites pertinent to the Revolutionary War for a
      magazine article.

      Frame and Connie are to be married by Concord's "patriarch," 104-
      year-old John Annandale, who learned first-hand during his boyhood
      about the battle that began the Revolution from one of the
      combatants who also lived to a ripe old age.

      The couple are supposed to be staying at the home of Connie's aunt
      and uncle, Kate and Bowler Eliot, who have hired decorators to redo
      some of the rooms. The one intended for Frame has a newly varnished,
      still tacky floor, rendering it temporarily uninhabitable. The local
      Colonial Inn having no vacancies, Kate and Bowler have arranged with
      their neighbors the Satterthwaites, who often take in roomers, to
      put Frame up for the next two days.

      Upon arriving at the Satterthwaite home, besides meeting Tom and his
      flirtatious (albeit engaged) daughter Retty, Frame encounters two
      fellow roomers, a history professor named Humphrey Hobbes and a
      spiritualist named Maria Carswell. The latter desperately wants to
      swap rooms with Frame, who has been given the room in which Percy
      Nightingale, a mortally-wounded British soldier, died during the
      battle of Concord. Frame, tired from his drive and irritated by
      Carswell's manner, refuses. He retains his assigned room, goes to
      bed, and is awakened in the middle of the night by the presence of a
      lamp burning in his room--a so-called "Betty lamp," the one that
      burned there on the night of the British officer's death and which
      was not there when Frame first entered the room. Frame extinguishes
      the lamp and goes back to sleep. When he awakens in the morning, the
      lamp is gone.

      This is the first of two "ghostly" manifestations he must contend
      with. The other is the sound of soldiers marching to fife and drum,
      a sound which chills him until he ultimately manages to explain its
      source.

      Frame learns from Tom Satterthwaite that his room's previous tenant
      was an academic named J.J. Walmsley from the University of Chicago.
      A month or so earlier, Walmsley apparently skipped out under
      seemingly impossible circumstances, sticking Satterthwaite with an
      unpaid bill of seventy-five dollars. Shortly thereafter, Frame and
      Connie discover Walmsley's body in the well in back of the
      Satterthwaite home.

      Not too long after, John Annandale, who has gone out with Professor
      Vann to answer some historical questions, vanishes. Frame, reluctant
      despite his proclivity for mysteries to get involved in a murder and
      kidnapping case, is thus compelled to get to the bottom of things
      and find Annandale so that the latter can perform the marriage
      ceremony as planned.

      I think John Dickson Carr would have liked this book. For all I
      know, he *did* like it, because it was published during his
      lifetime. It combines an historical mystery--which Frame solves--
      with a modern one. It contains some wonderfully eerie moments. It's
      fairly clued. It's well-constructed and well-paced.

      Although I solved it instinctively rather than deductively, and with
      relative ease, I strongly recommend it--if you can find a copy--
      because it's long out-of-print.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 28, 2003
        I'd like to use the blogger site to post reviews like this, since it
        doesn't appear to have the space and size limitations of Yahoo groups.
        I'll assume that I have the authors' permission to do so unless you
        specifically tell me otherwise. I'll also try and organise them in a
        sensible way.

        ---
      • W. Peck
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 28, 2003
          Makes sense; sounds good. But I'm afraid others as well as myself really
          don't understand the blogger site, Jon, how to access it, how to use it.
          Each of the few times I've taken a look at it, there appears to be no way
          one can read existing pages -- in this case, the Golden Age area that you
          set up. It appears to serve only those who wish to create a new blog, not
          to add to an existing one. I, for one, would appreciate any further sug-
          gestions or instructions that you could provide. Thanks.
          ;

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 29, 2003
            The very name "Blogger" sounds like the imprecation you might be
            inclined to mutter once you've gotten to the site and been stymied
            by it. I finally managed to access the GAD page
            (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/), but I'll be damned if I can
            figure out how to post or reply to the messages shown.

            I'd like to know who the deranged blogger was who designed this
            format thinking it would be so utilitarian.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 29, 2003
              Thank you.
              And I concur....
              ;
              --- b_ergang <bergang@...> wrote:
              > The very name "Blogger" sounds like the imprecation you might be
              > inclined to mutter once you've gotten to the site and been stymied
              > by it. I finally managed to access the GAD page
              > (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/), but I'll be damned if I can
              > figure out how to post or reply to the messages shown.
              >
              > I'd like to know who the deranged blogger was who designed this
              > format thinking it would be so utilitarian.
              >

              > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "W. Peck" <aria376@y...> wrote:
              > > Makes sense; sounds good. But I'm afraid others as well as myself
              > really
              > > don't understand the blogger site, Jon, how to access it, how to
              > use it.
              > > Each of the few times I've taken a look at it, there appears to be
              > no way
              > > one can read existing pages -- in this case, the Golden Age area
              > that you
              > > set up. It appears to serve only those who wish to create a new
              > blog, not
              > > to add to an existing one. I, for one, would appreciate any
              > further sug-
              > > gestions or instructions that you could provide. Thanks.

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Ralph, Adrienne (HEA-MEL)
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 29, 2003
                Hi Jon and the rest of the group

                Due to a crackdown at work, I need to desubcribe from the group please. I
                have enjoyed the group discussions very much and will miss the lively
                debates.

                Please keep me in the loop for Doug's publication of the Mitchell short
                stories, with an intro by our own esteemed Nick Fuller.

                With best wishes

                Adrienne

                I'd like to use the blogger site to post reviews like this, since it doesn't
                appear to have the space and size limitations of Yahoo groups. I'll assume
                that I have the authors' permission to do so unless you specifically tell me
                otherwise. I'll also try and organise them in a sensible way.

                ---

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get
                A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/kqIolB/TM

                This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
                delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose
                or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken
                precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we
                advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail.
                We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                  Ditto. It looks as though the entire GAD membership would have to be
                  Blogger users, and be signed on as contibuting members to the site by
                  its owner (well, Yahoo/Groups sort of works that way too, but signing
                  on to a Yahoo Group doesn't involve the owner's intervention
                  manually). If the Blogger site isn't made available to the public via
                  a search engine or something like that, then what is the point of it?
                  More like a throwback to the days of DOS Newsgroups or whatever they
                  were called.

                  (On the other hand, I agree it might be a good place to post long
                  reviews of books, since those require a lot of time to digest. Saves
                  your having to create your own web page -- which few people will read
                  anyway -- for the same purpose, and having to go through the html
                  learning curve. This would centralize some of the very fine reviews
                  we have had on GAD, and possibly bypass a lot of the dreck messages
                  on GAD -- of which I have to admit many are mine -- but I would post
                  only reviews on Blogger.)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                    Adrienne - there's an unsubscribe line at the bottom of each message.
                    You can, however, stay a member of the group but set yourself to receive
                    no messages - see http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/gadetection.

                    Thanks for your support!

                    Jon.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                      To add to the blog you need to be added to the 'team', which in turn
                      involves registering with www.blogger.com. Send me your email address
                      and I'll add it to the team. This will cause a prompt message to be sent
                      inviting you to register.

                      But I agree that the site is not very helpful.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                        Okay, Jon. You've somehow convinced me to give it a try.
                        aria376@...
                        ;

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                          Jon, as moderator of this group you might want to put a link in the
                          Yahoo/GAD blurb to the Blogger site Goldenage. That is, if it catches
                          on with GAD members. On your main Blogger page, have an explanation
                          of how to 'join' etc.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 30, 2003
                            Passing on some eBook news from David Moynihan at Blackmask:

                            "...I've received e-mails from Juliet Sutherland, who's been running
                            tons of projects for the Distributed Proofreaders. Ms. Sutherland will
                            soon be in custody of the project's second high-speed scanner, and sent
                            me a really long list of mysteries that they'll be working on. The idea
                            is to handle numerous "easy" books--as well as the tough stuff like
                            reference works, religious matters, etc...."

                            I'm not sure if I like the implication that mysteries are always 'easy',
                            but otherwise this is wonderful news. You can contact David at
                            www.blackmask.com and Distributed Proofreaders at www.pgdp.net if you'd
                            like to lend a hand with the proofreading.

                            ---
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                              Those admirers of David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot may be interested to know that the three Poirot episodes due to appear in 2004 are:

                              1. Death on the Nile
                              2. Dead Man's Folly
                              3. Five Little Pigs

                              This last is particularly interesting: how will they be able to make an adaptation of a book in which there is very little Poirot? Will it be as much of a disappointment and failure as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? We shall see.

                              Hopefully they will film After the Funeral next.

                              Nick

                              'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                                Others to be filmed this year are Sad Cypress and The Hollow.

                                Nick

                                Nicholas Fuller <stoke_moran@...> wrote:
                                Those admirers of David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot may be interested to know that the three Poirot episodes due to appear in 2004 are:

                                1. Death on the Nile
                                2. Dead Man's Folly
                                3. Five Little Pigs

                                This last is particularly interesting: how will they be able to make an adaptation of a book in which there is very little Poirot? Will it be as much of a disappointment and failure as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? We shall see.

                                Hopefully they will film After the Funeral next.

                                Nick

                                'There is no past tense in the conjugation of genius, especially when it has left us whatever of itself can be conveyed by the printed page.'--Gladys Mitchell, Death and the Maiden (1947).

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                                  To look at the Blog web site click on the link at the top of this
                                  group's Home Page (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/). To post to this
                                  Blog you need to go, illogically, to BLOGGER, not BLOGSPOT!, at
                                  http://www.blogger.com There if you are not a registered member, you
                                  can sign up as one for free. When you have created your Blog id you
                                  will get a maintenance page. Click on the ADD BLOG button on the
                                  right and insert gadective.blogspot.com (I think it will allow you to
                                  add it, but if not send your Blog userid to Jon and ask him to
                                  activate you for GAD.)

                                  While you're at this, you might as well set up your own Blog web page
                                  if you want one, otherwise you will just get a Blogger page when
                                  somebody goes to yourname.blogspot.com.
                                • W. Peck
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                                    Okay. Thanks. I'll try it (again).
                                    ;
                                    --- Wyatt James <grobius@...> wrote:
                                    > To look at the Blog web site click on the link at the top of this
                                    > group's Home Page (http://gadetective.blogspot.com/). To post to this
                                    > Blog you need to go, illogically, to BLOGGER, not BLOGSPOT!, at
                                    > http://www.blogger.com There if you are not a registered member, you
                                    > can sign up as one for free. When you have created your Blog id you
                                    > will get a maintenance page. Click on the ADD BLOG button on the
                                    > right and insert gadective.blogspot.com (I think it will allow you to
                                    > add it, but if not send your Blog userid to Jon and ask him to
                                    > activate you for GAD.)
                                    >
                                    > While you're at this, you might as well set up your own Blog web page
                                    > if you want one, otherwise you will just get a Blogger page when
                                    > somebody goes to yourname.blogspot.com.

                                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                  • W. Peck
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 16, 2003
                                      I just tried it. And got the identical results as before. Since I
                                      already
                                      am a registered member, it again responded to input of my user ID and
                                      pass-
                                      word with only one option--to create a blog. In other words, there is no
                                      ADD BLOG button. Nevertheless, when I essentially follow your
                                      instructions
                                      in order to gain full access to gadetective.blogspot.com, it simply
                                      advises
                                      that such a blog exists already. I've known that all along, of course,
                                      and
                                      have gone to that URL often to read reviews; but I've never had full
                                      access
                                      to be able to also contribute reviews--which I'd really enjoy doing.
                                      ;

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 17, 2003
                                        Beats me! It's a very confusing system. Maybe Jon has to do it on his
                                        side and include your Blogger ID as a user. There is an ADD TEAM
                                        MEMBER feature under SETTINGS when you edit your Blog.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 17, 2003
                                          I don't know any more about this than I did a couple of months ago. To post to
                                          the blog you have to be invited; I've sent off several invitations in the past
                                          but only four other people have successfully responded: there are seven
                                          invitations pending which I will resend today.

                                          There may be browser problems with blocked cookies, blocked JavaScript, etc,
                                          etc, which will interfere with attempts to access the blog creation site at
                                          www.blogger.com. One option is to try another browser - I use Mozilla, which I'm
                                          very happy with, and which is available as a free download.

                                          Jon.