Re: Mystery Woman

  • vegetableduck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      As I recall, she's listed in Barzun and Taylor. All those Harper
      and Row titles seem to have been ones favorably mentioned in the
      Catalog of Crime.

      CJE

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "aria376" <aria376@y...> wrote:
      > Who was Anna Mary Wells?
      > In the early 1980s, when Harper and Row was publishing
      its "Perennial
      > Library Mystery Series" paperbacks, they included authors such as
      E.C.
      > Bentley, Frances Iles, Nicholas Blake, Edmund Crispin, Cyril Hare
      and
      > Anna Mary Wells.
      > Who?
      > An occasional contributor to the "Atlantic Monthly," she also wrote
      > critical and interpretive essays about the poetry of Emily
      Dickinson;
      > she published a biography of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, a soldier,
      > newspaper editor and friend of Dickinson. She also apparently
      wrote
      > mystery novels.
      > Harper/Perennial reprinted her 1942 and 1943 novels, 'A Talent for
      > Murder' and 'Murderer's Choice'; she also wrote at least two
      others,
      > 'Sin of Angels,' 1948 and 'The Night of May Third,' 1956.
      Regardless,
      > neither Encyclopedia of Mystery and Detection nor Encyclopedia Mys-
      > teriosa has an entry for her. She nearly escapes internet
      identifi-
      > cation and even BookFinder can find no additional titles she may
      have
      > published.
      > I recently bought the two Perennial paperbacks from a second-hand
      > bookshop but haven't yet begun to read either. In the meantime,
      I'm
      > curious about this author?
      > Have any of you ever heard of her? Or read any of her mystery
      > fiction?
      > ;
    • William F. Deeck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        Hubin's bibliography lists a fifth title by Wells: "Fear of Death," 1951.

        From "Silk Stalkings: When Women Write of Murder" by Victoria Nichols and
        Susan Thompson, 1988:

        "In the second book ["Murderer's Choice], Dr. Owen is serving in the army
        and Miss Pomeroy takes a job with a detective agency. While Dr. Owen makes a
        brief appearance, this is really her story. Dr. Owen and Miss Pomeroy are
        intelligent, warm, and caring people. The stories are well written and well
        plotted--real psychological thrillers. There's good action, suspense, and
        danger, and the endings are believable surprises."

        "Sin of Angels" is apparently the third and final book in the series. I have
        a copy in my various to-be-gotten-to-at-some-point piles. From what I dimly
        recall of her other two Owen/Pomeroy books, Nichols and Thompson sum them up
        accurately.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          Thank you for your research; I appreciate it.
          ;

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
            Okay. I'll check it out. Thanks.
            ;