Robert Altman

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
      I have not seen "Gosford Park", but knowing it's some weak as a mystery
      doesn't surprise me. Altman never had any interest in mystery nor any other
      genre. Look at what he did to Chandler's "The Long Goodbye". His thing is
      sarcastic examination of huge ensembles. However, and according to
      interviews of him, Altman would be a wonderful victim for a *real* Golden
      Age mystery. I have rarely met such a self-indulgent, disagreeable person.
      No surprise he had been black-listed for years in Hollywood.

    • b_ergang <bergang@op.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
        Xavier, I've said for years that Altman ought to be emasculated with
        a dull butter knife for what he did to THE LONG GOODBYE. I'm not the
        only one. There was once a mystery novel by Geoffrey O'Brien whose
        title I can't recall, let alone the lame story, in which the P.I.
        hero lambasted Altman for his treatment of what I consider
        Chandler's greatest novel. It was the only worthwhile passage in the
        book.

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Xavier Lechard"

      • Wyatt James <grobius@sprynet.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2003
          Good for you, Xavier! The only movie of Altman's I liked
          was "Nashville" and even that didn't make much sense apart from the
          fine actors and good music. He is a hedonist, if that is the right
          term, only wants to present his conception of the world in all its
          gutsy bodily-fluid confusion. "Gosford Park" was in our local movie
          theatre for a couple of months, and we kept saying "Let's See This --
          It's a classic mystery according to the critics", but we never did,
          and I don't regret that now, though I might watch it if it comes on
          TV.