Re: January is ending, so here is my list

  • b_ergang <bergang@op.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dr. G_Fell once told me about Paul Halter and how comparable his
      work is to Carr's, especially in the impossible crime area.
      Unfortunately, he hasn't been translated and published in the U.S.,
      and I neither speak nor read his language.

      (Ahem!) Doug, how's your French...?

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Xavier Lechard"
      <x.lechard@f...> wrote:
      > *** Paul Halter, LA LETTRE QUI TUE (French novel)
      > Next time you receive an absurd letter from a friend, asking you
      to make absurd things, just burn it and forget it. Ralph didn't
      follow that wise advice, and all that he got was being caught in a
      dirty story filled with murder, living dead women and nazi spies.
      And it's only a sample...
      > Paul Halter is a French mystery writer usually working in the John
      Dickson Carr pattern. "La Lettre Qui Tue" (The Letter That Kills)
      doesn't belong to the locked-room genre, however. It's rather a fast-
      paced thriller, some reminiscent of John Buchan - and one of
      Halter's best books in my opinion, avoiding his sometimes tiresome
      relish in morbidity (while some characters here actually are very
      dark). Characterization is deeper than usual, and the Londonian post-
      war atmosphere works very well. But Halter remains the master-
      plotter he uses to be and provides a astonishingly skillful built-
      up, leading to a masterful reworking of an old trick. When Halter is
      at top of his form, he is almost unbeatable, and it's the case here.