Ellery Queen's gore-fest

  • Allan Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 4:37 AM

      I started reading the Ellery Queen series recently, starting from the beginning. I enjoyed the first few immensely. I must confess to being rather taken aback when I got to THE EGYPTIAN CROSS MYSTERY. It’s a veritable gore-fest!

      This is the first of the Ellery Queens that’s disappointed me, possibly because I found it to be disturbingly easy to figure out the identity of the murderer.

      I have more to say about it on my blog -

      http://tinyurl.com/l4a89ow

      Al

    • Last century Detective

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 7:24 AM
          On 2 March 2014 01:57, Last century Detective <lastcenturydetective@...> wrote:

          Well, the trick in the book is now considered shopworn, but it's a trick I used to fall for all the time.

          I guess that's one of the problems reading golden age detective stories. We're familiar with most of the possible plot tricks that were probably brand new when people read those books back in the 20s and 30s.

          Al