Re: will people still be reading in 20 or 50 or 100 years WAS why ebooks

  • Jeffrey Marks
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2014
      Speaking as a middle school Language Arts teacher, I'm entirely baffled and revolted by some of the comments here. We read 3 novels a year in my class, all from paper books.

      We're getting ready to host our annual Read Across America (held on Dr. Suess's b'day) breakfast for the top 20 readers in our school. Some of these kids have read 30+ novels this year.

      Most of the students I see read paper books. About 30% of the students read eBooks; the rest read paper books, telling me that they prefer it. Of course, many read the latest book tie-ins, but so do adults.

      I'd be remiss if I didn't even mention that I have multiple Sherlock Holmes fans in the class, who have discovered the Canon based on the two TV shows. They continue to push others in my classes to read the books as well. We meet on a regular basis to discuss the stories and the obvious links to the BBC series in terms of characters and plots.

      And I have 2 very gifted writers in class, both of whom I expect to see published in their lives. One has a phenomenal voice and the other is a whiz writing non-fiction.

      Those who are pessimistic about the future are those who do not deal with the current generation on a daily basis. An "us vs. them" mentality is polarizing and absurd.

      Jeff

      --
      Jeffrey Marks
      www.jeffreymarks.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2014
        On 1 March 2014 22:56, Jeffrey Marks <jeffrmarks@...> wrote:

        Speaking as a middle school Language Arts teacher, I'm entirely baffled and revolted by some of the comments here. We read 3 novels a year in my class, all from paper books.

        How kids turn out depends very much on their school. Those who are lucky enough to attend a good school in a good neighbourhood and who have the even greater good fortune to have an enthusiastic and capable teacher still have a fighting chance of getting a decent education.

        What really depresses me in my dealings with young people these days is the extraordinary degree of intellectual conformism. And the almost complete absence of any genuine spirit of intellectual inquiry. And even more disturbingly, what seems to be a morbid fear of ideas that might challenge the ideas they are force-fed by the media and by the schools.

        Al
      • mingbooks
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2014
          This great news.If children are excited they will learn and read
        • Allan Griffith
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2014
            On 1 March 2014 23:23, <mingbooks@...> wrote:

            This great news.If children are excited they will learn and read

            That's true, although getting them excited about reading is only half the battle. You have to teach them to read with the right degree of scepticism, so that they aren't just consuming what they're reading uncritically. And you have to teach them to read books that they might not agree with, books that might actually challenge their ideas.

            Al
          • jeffrey1marks
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2014
              Al,

              I resent your statements that I am part of a mass effort to impose intellectual conformism on my students. You don't know me, and you've never seen me teach. Your statements are insulting and incredibly wrong.

              Can we PLEASE get back to discussing books?

              Jeff
            • Allan Griffith
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2014
                On 2 March 2014 00:52, <jeffrmarks@...> wrote:

                Al,

                I resent your statements that I am part of a mass effort to impose intellectual conformism on my students. You don't know me, and you've never seen me teach. Your statements are insulting and incredibly wrong.

                Can we PLEASE get back to discussing books?

                Jeff

                It was certainly not my intention to blame you personally for anything at all. As I thought was clear in my comments on students who have the good fortune to have good teachers I was including you in that category.

                Al