Quick Question

  • Last century Detective
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014
      I came across the name Michael Bowen as a locked room mystery writer from the 1990s and wanted to know if he's worth a shot. Has the group anything on Bowen?

      Adey lists only one of his books, WASHINGTON DECEASED, and is about a videotaped shooting in a locked supply room.
    • juryboxer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2014
        Reviewing WASHINGTON DECEASED in the April 1991 EQMM, I called Bowen "one of the most promising detective-story classicists to debut in the last couple of years," and I was happy with the howdunit plot.  WORST CASE SCENARIO (reviewed January 1997) also has a locked room, and there I liked Bowen to Ellery Queen for his "elaborate word play clues."  The sleuth in both is career diplomat Richard Michaelson.  Besides being a good plotter in Golden-Age tradition, Bowen is one of the wittiest satirists working in the genre.  I certainly recommend his books, though not all include impossible crimes.
      • Monte Herridge
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2014

          Thanks for the information. I looked up Michael Bowen on Amazon.com and noticed that he has two on-going series.  I am going to try one of his Michaelson books (as soon as I get paid).

          Monte Herridge

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 26, 2014

            Thanks! This info is much appreciated. Bowen sounded interesting, somewhat if Herbert Resnicow had written political tinged mysteries, but I'll definitely take a look at one of his books now.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2015
              Hey Group,

              A quick question: are there any (good) mysteries or even adventure/thriller novels set in places like Rhodesia, Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic. Something along the lines of Peter Godfrey.

              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2015
                Elizabeth Huxley wrote some detective stories set in that area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elspeth_Huxley

                James McClure's South Africa stories are a bit late for the Golden Age, but well-clued and well-written:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._McClure

                Going back a bit, there are a also dozen or so Commissioner Sanders books by Edgar Wallace.

                Jon

                On 20/02/15 03:17, Last century Detective lastcenturydetective@... [GAdetection] wrote:

                Hey Group,

                A quick question: are there any (good) mysteries or even adventure/thriller novels set in places like Rhodesia, Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic. Something along the lines of Peter Godfrey.

                Thanks!

              • Bob Houk
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 19, 2015
                  I enjoyed Matthew Head's The Devil in the Bush, set in what was then the Belgian Congo during WW2 (and written about that time -- I don't know the exact date). Head wrote other books with African settings, but this is the only one I have come across, perhaps because it was fairly recently re-published by Felony & Mayhem.

                  To: GAdetection@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19, 2015
                    On 20 February 2015 at 03:17, Last century Detective lastcenturydetective@... [GAdetection] <GAdetection@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Hey Group,

                    A quick question: are there any (good) mysteries or even adventure/thriller novels set in places like Rhodesia, Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic. Something along the lines of Peter Godfrey.

                    Thanks!

                    Grant Allen (1848-1899) wrote a collection of detective stories set in South Africa, called THE AFRICAN MILLIONAIRE. A couple of the stories were included in Hugh Greene's anthology MORE RIVALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES: COSMOPOLITAN CRIMES.

                    Also included in Green's MORE RIVALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES anthology is George Griffith's FIVE HUNDRED CARATS, set in the South Africa diamond fields. It was one of the stories adapted for Thames TV's superb early 70s RIVALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES television series.

                    Al
                  • Last century Detective