Messages

  • vegetableduck
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 14 11:09 AM
      I think I may have properly sent  a message this time!  hate this new format.  We have a GAD group at Facebook too, but I always liked the old Yahoo group and its format.  Now Yahoo wants it too like Facebook--it;s not working, lol.

      Curt
    • Patrick O
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 14 11:34 AM
        To be totally honest, I haven't visited the actual "groups" page in a while. I send everything straight from e-mail now. I find it much easier (although once in a while a message gets inexplicably lost, like my earlier blog update today which is showing on the group page but hasn't gotten through via e-mail).

        I think I may have properly sent  a message this time!  hate this new format.  We have a GAD group at Facebook too, but I always liked the old Yahoo group and its format.  Now Yahoo wants it too like Facebook--it;s not working, lol.

        Curt

      • Last century Detective
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 14 12:04 PM
          There's always this alternative (the backup board):
          <http://gadetection.proboards.com/>

          I think I may have properly sent  a message this time!  hate this new format.  We have a GAD group at Facebook too, but I always liked the old Yahoo group and its format.  Now Yahoo wants it too like Facebook--it;s not working, lol.

          Curt

        • Monte Herridge
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 14 12:55 PM

            I always send everything via email to the groups, and don't visit the webpages of any of the groups unless I absolutely  have to (to upload a file for example).  I notice that I am not receiving some messages, though.  However, I see the missing messages when someone replies to one of them.

            Monte Herridge

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 14 1:42 PM

              I used to switch between the main site and e-mail, but with this new layout, I'll probably stick with sending messages from my inbox. I'll miss the archive on the main page though.

              But luckily, they gave us an option to immediately see which of the handful of topics on here are currently "trending." Great. That's terrific. If only there was a way I could let other members know that I liked what they posted by, oh let's say, an icon of a thumbs up or an instant "QFT"-button.

              --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, <gadetection@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • curt evans
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 14 2:04 PM
                Is there nowhere to bring up the archive?  That’s actually useful to people who come to yahoo to, you know, learn substantive things, rather than, say, discuss which celebrities are the hottest.

                Curt

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 14 11:01 PM
                  Curt,

                  You can access the archive on the main page, if you click on "conversations" and then on the calendar icon with the 31 on it next to the refresh button. A pop-up page appears with the archive.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 15 2:19 AM
                    Yahoo has a real gift for screwing up features that that are simple, familiar, and work well. I've mostly given up my Yahoo mail account that I used for fifteen years or so, and it is now nearly impossible to follow a sports event in real time -- both were big reasons for my using Yahoo, but they've driven me away as a user.

                    The Group homepage was easy to navigate and use, but now ...

                    It's easy to see why they are in so much trouble as a business.

                    Bob

                    To: GAdetection@yahoogroups.com
                    From: lastcenturydetective@...

                    Curt,

                    From: curt evans <praed_street@...>
                    To: GAdetection@yahoogroups.com

                    Is there nowhere to bring up the archive?  That’s actually useful to people who come to yahoo to, you know, learn substantive things, rather than, say, discuss which celebrities are the hottest.

                  • Allan Griffith
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 15 6:45 AM
                      On 15 September 2013 05:55, Monte Herridge <mherridge@...> wrote:

                      I always send everything via email to the groups, and don't visit the webpages of any of the groups unless I absolutely  have to

                      Yep, same here. The new Yahoo Groups layout is ghastly but if you stick to replying to email you can avoid it entirely.

                      I just wish I could avoid it on the groups that I moderate!

                      Al
                    • Last century Detective
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 15 1:43 PM
                        A tip for everyone who still wants easy (haha) access to the archive: at the top of the main page there's a search bar saying "search conversations." If you're looking for names or titles, you can still get around, but just casual, uncomplicated browsing through the archive is a thing of the past.

                        Yahoo, trimming the fat from your conservations and severing our own throats with one cut.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 16 5:45 AM
                          It’s really kind of a disaster.  The links that have been posted to detective fiction essays, I no longer know how to access them.  I guess a page should have been made for them on the wiki.  I didn’t know yahoo was going to try to imitate the superficiality of Facebook.  This site is now just like Facebook, only much worse.

                          Curt

                          Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM
                          Subject: Re: [GAdetection] Messages (the archive)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 16 5:51 AM
                            Even Facebook makes it easier to access past posts...

                            Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 16 10:03 AM
                              Yeah, I really don’t anticipate using this site much anymore.  The truth is, as it was we really haven’t had the discussions here much like we used to, for some time.

                              Speaking of which, any of you who belong to Facebook and don’t belong to the Facebook group should think about joining.  We have about 100 members.

                              Curt

                              Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 16 10:48 AM
                                On 16 September 2013 22:45, curt evans <praed_street@...> wrote:

                                It’s really kind of a disaster.  The links that have been posted to detective fiction essays, I no longer know how to access them.  I guess a page should have been made for them on the wiki.  I didn’t know yahoo was going to try to imitate the superficiality of Facebook.  This site is now just like Facebook, only much worse.

                                Curt

                                Everything has to be like Facebook now. I detest Facebook and won't have anything to do with it.

                                Die, Facebook, die.

                                Al
                              • Monica Van oostrom
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 16 2:11 PM
                                  Hi Curt, do you have a link?

                                  I have a Facebook account, but rarely use it.  I did a search on GAD within Facebook and found "Generalized Anxiety Disorder - GAD Support Group" - not quite what I was looking for :)

                                  Monica

                                  Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 16 2:33 PM
                                    Hi Monica,

                                    It’s a closed group so doesn’t show up on searches.  Jeffrey Marks started it.  It’s invite only for “friends.”  If you friend request me or Jeff one of us can admit you.  Would love to have you join.

                                    Just search facebook curtis evans vegetableduck for my facebook page, or I can link it here.

                                    I hardly use Facebook myself, but for the GAD group.

                                    Curt

                                    Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 4:11 PM

                                    Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 16 2:44 PM
                                      Its terrible.  There have been useful research links posted here over the last year or so, but try finding them now.  This new format has all the depth of an imdb message board, where they are still fighting about whether Brad Pitt should be with Aniston or Jolie.

                                      Curt

                                      Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 16 6:37 PM
                                        Ah, ha, I see! Should have thought of that :) Friend request coming up...

                                        Regards,

                                        Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 4:11 PM

                                        Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 17 4:17 PM

                                          Just a quick note on the Facebook discussion…

                                          I would have classed myself as a non-user of Facebook.  I set up an account a few years ago when I was helping a friend set up hers.  But the recent changes to the Yahoo Groups layout etc. and the general deterioration in the quality of other Yahoo services prompted me to look up and join the Golden Age Detection Facebook group.

                                          The Facebook group posts and comments look really interesting, and the format is very easy to navigate and read.  The group is a “Closed” group – not a lot different to the “Restricted” Yahoo group.   Once you have the link (I’ll leave that to Jeff or Curt to provide) simply click on the Join button.  Jeff as administrator will admit you, and then you will see all the posts and comments.  Lots of familiar names there :)

                                          Facebook’s current privacy settings for groups can be seen at:

                                          I know a few of you are not too keen on the concept of Facebook.  But it’s like any free web service, just double check your privacy settings, use the useful features and ignore the rest :)

                                          My 2c worth…
                                          Monica
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 18 5:49 AM
                                            Old messages can also be accessed via Google, provided you enter the right keywords.