'The Avenger' (1908)

  • miketooney49
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2013
      THE AVENGER.
      By E. Phillips Oppenheim.
      Little, Brown & Co.
      1908. 297 pages. $1.50

      An addendum to:
      - Message #30544
      - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GAdetection/message/30544

      Full review:

      "Modern improvements multiply. When upon a London
      murder and mystery story is grafted the plight of a
      queen of Mexonia, with its appeal to chivalry, one
      recognizes the fusion of two schools of fiction. The
      combination has its advantages. For what more natural
      than that royalty from one of the 'i-a' countries should
      have a following, male and female, as devoted as ever
      were adherents of the Stuarts? And what more
      consequent than that when the man who stole the letters
      is found dead with a silken cord drawn tightly around
      his neck, suspicion should fall on the group, on their
      friends, and their friends' friends, while the London
      neighbors of the murdered one, knowing no queen, no
      Mexonia, no plot, no stolen letters, make precisely the
      right medium for mystery and conjecture? The long list
      of dramatis personae thus provided is made up of
      figures unusually well defined and well projected for a
      mystery story, where characters too frequently allow
      themselves to be mere pegs on which to hang testimony.
      'The Avenger's folk are nicely alive -- all who are not
      killed. Its manner places it in the class of novels of
      comfortable manslaughter -- smooth-running, readable,
      pleasantly puzzling. When it comes to the identification
      of the murderer we take frank issue with the author, and
      tell him we do not believe it! Either the little boy lied who
      told Mr. Oppenheim, or the proof-reader was careless."
      - Unsigned
      - "Current Fiction"
      - THE NATION
      - June 4, 1908
      - http://www.unz.org/Pub/Nation-1908jun04-00515?View=PDFPages
      - [Jump To page 516]

      Online here:
      - http://www.unz.org/Pub/OppenheimEPhillips-1908?View=ReadIt
    • Allan Griffith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2013
        On 19 July 2013 06:33, miketooney49 <miketooney49@...> wrote:

        > THE AVENGER.
        > By E. Phillips Oppenheim.
        > Little, Brown & Co.
        > 1908. 297 pages. $1.50

        I'm a huge fan of Oppenheim's spy thrillers. I haven't read this one though.

        Al