"The Dime Novel in American Literature" (1907)

  • miketooney49
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2013
      Excerpts:

      "THE dime novel was not always as black as it is now
      painted, we are told by an investigator in this by-channel
      of American literature. Indeed, if we do it justice, this
      class of fiction, now so much reprobated, must be given
      an important place in the literature of this country."

      "As editor I sought the best work of the best writers in
      that particular field of fiction. . . All was up to an excel-
      lent standard of literary merit. The detective- and love-
      story came later, when rank competition on the ten-cent
      trade made it seem necessary to introduce these
      elements."

      "The black man disappeared from dime novels with
      Appomattox, but the Indian held on with almost un-
      diminished tenacity until 1876. He gave way, finally,
      before the cowboy and the detective; but at the
      present time the latter has almost undisputed sway
      of the stage."
      - Unsigned
      - "The Dime Novel in American Literature"
      - THE LITERARY DIGEST
      - July 20, 1907
      - http://www.unz.org/Pub/LiteraryDigest-1907jul20-00094

      Excerpt:

      "In certain directions the detective tale has attractions
      for writers and readers beyond those offered by the
      average Indian story. The white 'bad man' is more
      versatile in his badness than is his red or yellow coun-
      terpart. His field of activities is far wider."
      - Charles M. Harvey
      - "The Dime Novel in American Life"
      - THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY
      - July 1907