"The Looting of the Specie-Room" (1902)

  • miketooney49
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
      A short story that made it to television.

      In MR. HORROCKS: PURSER.
      By C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne.
      Methuen. 1902. 6s.

      Google Books preview:
      - With illustrations
      - Text of "The Looting of the Specie-Room", pages 13-25
      - http://tinyurl.com/muxgq5t

      Google Books preview:
      - No illustrations
      - Text of "The Looting of the Specie-Room", pages 3-24
      - http://tinyurl.com/k734sp9

      Adapted for THE RIVALS OF SHERLOCK
      HOLMES TV series:
      - "The Looting of the Specie-Room"
      - Season 2, Episode 12
      - 16 April 1973
      - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0687033/
      - That's "specie" (money), not "species"

      Entire book reviewed here:
      - THE BOOKMAN (U.K.)
      - April 1902
      - http://www.unz.org/Pub/BookmanUK-1902apr-00030a02

      Wikipedia:
      - "C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne"
      - http://tinyurl.com/mosmp34

      UNZ index for C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne, 13 items:
      - http://www.unz.org/Author/HyneCJCutcliffe
    • miketooney49
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2013
        Errata:

        Small corrections: The short story itself dates
        from 1900, not 1902; and in the second Google
        Books preview, the one with no illustrations,
        the story begins on page 1, not page 3.

        ===========================

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "miketooney49" <miketooney49@...> wrote:

        > A short story that made it to television.
        >
        > In MR. HORROCKS: PURSER.
        > By C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne.
        > Methuen. 1902. 6s.
        >
        > Google Books preview:
        > - With illustrations
        > - Text of "The Looting of the Specie-Room", pages 13-25
        > - http://tinyurl.com/muxgq5t
        >
        > Google Books preview:
        > - No illustrations
        > - Text of "The Looting of the Specie-Room", pages 3-24
        > - http://tinyurl.com/k734sp9
        >
        > Adapted for THE RIVALS OF SHERLOCK
        > HOLMES TV series:
        > - "The Looting of the Specie-Room"
        > - Season 2, Episode 12
        > - 16 April 1973
        > - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0687033/
        > - That's "specie" (money), not "species"
        >
        > Entire book reviewed here:
        > - THE BOOKMAN (U.K.)
        > - April 1902
        > - http://www.unz.org/Pub/BookmanUK-1902apr-00030a02
        >
        > Wikipedia:
        > - "C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne"
        > - http://tinyurl.com/mosmp34
        >
        > UNZ index for C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne, 13 items:
        > - http://www.unz.org/Author/HyneCJCutcliffe

      • Allan Griffith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
          On 23 June 2013 10:52, miketooney49 <miketooney49@...> wrote:

          > A short story that made it to television.
          >
          > In MR. HORROCKS: PURSER.
          > By C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne.

          He seemed to be one of those authors who wrote in just about every genre.
          I've read both horror and science fiction by him.

          Al

        • Douglas G.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
            Hyne is remembered mostly for THE LOST CONTINENT (1900), one of the first novels about Atlantis.

            As "Weatherby Chesney," he wrote 2 short story collections with detectival interest:

            The Adventures of a Solicitor. London: James Bowden, 1898.
            1s
            The Adventures of an Engineer. London: James Bowden, 1898.

            DG