'Murder at the ABA' (1976)

  • miketooney49
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2013
      MURDER AT THE ABA. By Isaac Asimov.
      Doubleday. 1976. 230 pages.

      [a.k.a. AUTHORIZED MURDER]

      ". . . neither extremely good nor awfully bad, but just an
      average plot that shined a bit brighter due to the unusual
      approach of its author."
      - TomCat, 'Beneath the Stains of Time'
      - http://tinyurl.com/cb8gx8o

      GAD Wiki:
      - http://tinyurl.com/6te3vzy

      "I remain someone who isn't anxious by any means to
      read this book again in the future -- but I am far more
      willing to recommend it to someone else."
      - John H. Jenkins
      - http://www.asimovreviews.net/Books/Book172.html

      Other brief reactions:
      - GoodReads
      - http://tinyurl.com/cwzt55a

      Cover:
      - http://tinyurl.com/cot7myg

      In his review, TomCat wrote the following:

      "There are, IMHO, few things worse in a detective novel
      than have the murder that fueled the plot be revealed as
      an elaborately staged suicide and I'm glad that Asimov
      didn't opt for that conclusion."

      WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW

      In the third (untitled) episode of the BBC series
      DEATH IN PARADISE (8 November 2011),
      one of the characters does that very thing.

      Now, if that were the totality of the show's plot,
      the producers would certainly deserve censure
      and TomCat's reservations about such a stale
      device would be vindicated.

      However, the faked suicide was closely linked
      to another crime, a 15-year-old unsolved
      murder. In solving the present-day case, the
      sleuth also solves the cold case. The victim,
      by the way, was visible to anyone and every-
      one for all of those 15 years. Ingenious!
      - IMDb
      - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2027494/

      Others may dismiss DEATH IN PARADISE
      as "featherweight" because of its light touch,
      but in the three episodes I've watched the
      mysteries were substantial and -- while not
      totally fair-play -- the clues were, more often
      than not, shown to us . . . unlike, I'm sorry
      to report, CBS's ELEMENTARY, wherein
      we are meant to sit back and marvel at the
      super-mind as he engages in this:
      - TV Tropes
      - http://tinyurl.com/y948wvv