Re: [GAdetection] murders in Hollywood

  • bobhouk
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 19, 2013
      I'm a big fan of pulpgen, and it's where I developed my Dan Turner obsession. I will give Nick Ransom a try now that I'm running low on Turner stories.

      Thanks for building the site.

      Bob

      From: <bobhouk@...>

      I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories --

      but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.

      Bob

    • Mike Blake
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
        Let's not forget our own Mike Grost's Jacob Black series.

        Mike Blake
      • nzkpzq
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
          Mike Blake writes:
          Let's not forget our own Mike Grost's Jacob Black series.

          Mike,
          That is so nice of you to mention my stories!

          The Jacob Black short stories take place in 1920's silent movie Hollywood.
          Jacob Black solves impossible crimes, which he keeps encountering.

          The tales are available for free at:
          http://mikegrost.com/mymyst.htm

          They are available as free e-books in both ePub and Kindle formats.
          Also as simple web pages.

          Thanks,

          Mike Grost
        • A. Vidro
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
            Jeffrey, you said "The murder doesn't even occur till around page 100."

            In my favorite Ellery Queen novel the murder takes place on page 185.  Yet I do not consider it slow-moving.

            It is possible, I believe, to have fast-moving novels where the murder occurs in the tail end of the book, and it is also possible to have slow-moving novels where the murder occurs on page one.  To me, the story itself dictates when the act should take place. ... and the timing of the corpse's appearance has no connection to whether the book is fast-moving or slow-moving.  But others may disagree.

            I wonder if you (and the other members of this group) have a preference for when the murder/crime should occur?

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
              I agree with you that there are exceptions -- very good books in which the murder occurs later in the story.

              But as a rule, I prefer books in which the murder takes place early -- the first twenty pages or so, certainly the first fifty.

              Bob

              --- On Wed, 4/24/13, A. Vidro <sergeant.velie@...> wrote:
              I wonder if you (and the other members of this group) have a preference for when the murder/crime should occur

            • prettysinister
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                Anything by Richard Sale. Especially BENEFIT PERFORMANCE.

                THE CHINESE PARROT has a movie background and seems incredibly modern when talking about the movie biz even if it was written in the late 1920s.

                GHOST WANTED is fabulous! Written by Finaly McDermid, a screenwriter himself, the cast of characters is mostly made up of writers who steal other's ideas and murder to further their careers. Anthony Boucher was a big fan of the book when it was first published. I thought it was one of the best detectivenovels I ahve ever read about Hollywood. Reviewd on my blog here:

                <http://prettysinister.blogspot.com/2012/07/ffb-ghost-wanted-finlay-mcdermid.html>

                Speaking of Boucher -- Wasn't THE CASEOF SOLID KEY set in Hollywood? (just checked, it is, but it's more a theater mystery with movies only mentioned peripherally) I know TCOT BAKER STREET IRREGULARS is about moviemaking but of all Boucher's books I can't stand that one. Tried to read it three tiems and never made it through. Odd because I like all the other Fergus O'Breen mysteries.

                John