murders in Hollywood

  • Allan Griffith
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
      Edmund Crispin's FREQUENT HEARSES is a highly entertaining murder mystery
      set against the background of a movie studio.

      I know there were quite a few golden age crime novels that used movie
      studios as a setting. What are your favourite examples of this sub-genre?

      Al

    • bobhouk
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
        I imagine Carr's And So to Murder will spring first to many minds other than my own.

        Arthur B Reeve's Craig Kennedy novel The Film Mystery is set in a studio in New York City in Hollywood's early days. It is far, far from a fair-play mystery, by the way.

        The Craig Rice (George Sanders) novel Crime on My Hands was very enjoyable.

        I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories -- but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
          I enjoyed the Charlie Chan novel "The Black Camel"--though not set in California, the theme and characters are entirely 'Hollywood'.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Camel

        • Mike Detlefsen
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
            I think there was a trio of Ellery Queen novels with Hollywood themes (collected in omnibus form as The Hollywood Murders). I recall enjoying those. The cousins had thankfully (IMHO) moved out of their Philo Vance imitation by then.

            Mike

            On 18 Apr 2013, at 07:22 , <bobhouk@...> <bobhouk@...> wrote:

            > I imagine Carr's And So to Murder will spring first to many minds other than my own.
            >
            > Arthur B Reeve's Craig Kennedy novel The Film Mystery is set in a studio in New York City in Hollywood's early days. It is far, far from a fair-play mystery, by the way.
            >
            > The Craig Rice (George Sanders) novel Crime on My Hands was very enjoyable.
            >
            > I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories -- but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.
            >
            > Bob

            "When everything impossible has been eliminated and what remains is supernatural, then someone is lying."
            -Isaac Asimov, 1973

          • Ronald Smyth
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
              THE PUZZLE OF THE HAPPY HOOLIGAN by Stuart Palmer is a favourite although the solution is rather disappointing. The book however is full of humour and the fact that Palmer had experience as a Hollywood writer adds to the credibility of a wacky romp.

              Ron Smyth

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
                I read one of those, "Devil to Pay." Ellery is working as a screenwriter, when he's enlisted to investigate the murder of a Hearst-type newspaper tycoon. It's the first, and so far the only, Ellery Queen I've read. I found it slow-going. The murder doesn't even occur till around page 100.

                I think there was a trio of Ellery Queen novels with Hollywood themes (collected in omnibus form as The Hollywood Murders). I recall enjoying those. The cousins had thankfully (IMHO) moved out of their Philo Vance imitation by then.

                Mike

                On 18 Apr 2013, at 07:22 , <bobhouk@...> <bobhouk@...> wrote:

                > I imagine Carr's And So to Murder will spring first to many minds other than my own.
                >
                > Arthur B Reeve's Craig Kennedy novel The Film Mystery is set in a studio in New York City in Hollywood's early days. It is far, far from a fair-play mystery, by the way.
                >
                > The Craig Rice (George Sanders) novel Crime on My Hands was very enjoyable.
                >
                > I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories -- but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.
                >
                > Bob

              • luis molina
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Read The greek coffin mystery, a great mystery

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
                    Well, it was written back in an era when people spent more time reading than today.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 19, 2013
                      Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give that one a try. As for Hollywood mysteries, one I'd recommend is William Campbell Gault's"Death Out of Focus," about a film director playing amateur sleuth to get to the bottom of an James Dean-type actor's death. Another is "The Blonde Body' by Michael Morgan about a Hollywood stuntman framed for a beautiful woman's murder who goes on the lam to discover the real killer. According to Bill Pronzini in "Gun in Cheek," "Michael Morgan" was a joint byline shared by a pair of Hollywood publicists, C.E. Carle and Dean M. Torn.

                      ________________________________
                      Read The greek coffin mystery, a great mystery

                      I read one of those, "Devil to Pay." Ellery is working as a screenwriter, when he's enlisted to investigate the murder of a Hearst-type newspaper tycoon. It's the first, and so far the only, Ellery Queen I've read. I found it slow-going. The murder doesn't even occur till around page 100.

                      I think there was a trio of Ellery Queen novels with Hollywood themes (collected in omnibus form as The Hollywood Murders). I recall enjoying those. The cousins had thankfully (IMHO) moved out of their Philo Vance imitation by then.

                      Mike

                      On 18 Apr 2013, at 07:22 , <bobhouk@...> <bobhouk@...> wrote:

                      > I imagine Carr's And So to Murder will spring first to many minds other than my own.

                      > Arthur B Reeve's Craig Kennedy novel The Film Mystery is set in a studio in New York City in Hollywood's early days. It is far, far from a fair-play mystery, by the way.

                      > The Craig Rice (George Sanders) novel Crime on My Hands was very enjoyable.

                      > I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories -- but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.

                      > Bob

                      > --- On Thu, 4/18/13, Allan Griffith <dfordoom@...> wrote:

                      > From: Allan Griffith <dfordoom@...>

                      > Subject: [GAdetection] murders in Hollywood

                      > To: GAdetection@yahoogroups.com

                      > Date: Thursday, April 18, 2013, 4:00 AM

                      > Edmund Crispin's FREQUENT HEARSES is a highly entertaining murder mystery

                      > set against the background of a movie studio.

                      > I know there were quite a few golden age crime novels that used movie

                      > studios as a setting. What are your favourite examples of this sub-genre?

                      > Al

                      "When everything impossible has been eliminated and what remains is supernatural, then someone is lying."

                      -Isaac Asimov, 1973

                    • Monte Herridge
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 19, 2013
                        I assume you already know that many Dan Turner stories are available on
                        Pulpgen.com. I have started adding stories about another Bellem detective
                        from Hollywood - Nick Ransom, former stuntman turned private detective.
                        Those are also good. They originally appeared in THRILLING DETECTIVE from
                        about 1948-1950.

                        Monte Herridge

                        I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories --
                        but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.

                        Bob
                      • miketooney49
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 19, 2013
                          Let's not forget Loren Estleman's stories
                          about film historian Valentino collected
                          in 'Valentino: Film Detective' (2011)
                          reviewed here:

                          - http://stkarnick.com/culture/?p=18198

                          ==========================

                          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Allan Griffith <dfordoom@...> wrote:

                          > Edmund Crispin's FREQUENT HEARSES is a highly entertaining murder mystery
                          > set against the background of a movie studio.
                          >

                          > I know there were quite a few golden age crime novels that used movie
                          > studios as a setting. What are your favourite examples of this sub-genre?
                          >

                          > Al

                        • bobhouk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 19, 2013
                            I'm a big fan of pulpgen, and it's where I developed my Dan Turner obsession. I will give Nick Ransom a try now that I'm running low on Turner stories.

                            Thanks for building the site.

                            Bob

                            From: <bobhouk@...>

                            I get a big kick out of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective pulp stories --

                            but I hesitate to recommend them here. They are definitely ... different.

                            Bob

                          • Mike Blake
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                              Let's not forget our own Mike Grost's Jacob Black series.

                              Mike Blake
                            • nzkpzq
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
                                Mike Blake writes:
                                Let's not forget our own Mike Grost's Jacob Black series.

                                Mike,
                                That is so nice of you to mention my stories!

                                The Jacob Black short stories take place in 1920's silent movie Hollywood.
                                Jacob Black solves impossible crimes, which he keeps encountering.

                                The tales are available for free at:
                                http://mikegrost.com/mymyst.htm

                                They are available as free e-books in both ePub and Kindle formats.
                                Also as simple web pages.

                                Thanks,

                                Mike Grost
                              • A. Vidro
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
                                  Jeffrey, you said "The murder doesn't even occur till around page 100."

                                  In my favorite Ellery Queen novel the murder takes place on page 185.  Yet I do not consider it slow-moving.

                                  It is possible, I believe, to have fast-moving novels where the murder occurs in the tail end of the book, and it is also possible to have slow-moving novels where the murder occurs on page one.  To me, the story itself dictates when the act should take place. ... and the timing of the corpse's appearance has no connection to whether the book is fast-moving or slow-moving.  But others may disagree.

                                  I wonder if you (and the other members of this group) have a preference for when the murder/crime should occur?

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
                                    I agree with you that there are exceptions -- very good books in which the murder occurs later in the story.

                                    But as a rule, I prefer books in which the murder takes place early -- the first twenty pages or so, certainly the first fifty.

                                    Bob

                                    --- On Wed, 4/24/13, A. Vidro <sergeant.velie@...> wrote:
                                    I wonder if you (and the other members of this group) have a preference for when the murder/crime should occur

                                  • prettysinister
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                                      Anything by Richard Sale. Especially BENEFIT PERFORMANCE.

                                      THE CHINESE PARROT has a movie background and seems incredibly modern when talking about the movie biz even if it was written in the late 1920s.

                                      GHOST WANTED is fabulous! Written by Finaly McDermid, a screenwriter himself, the cast of characters is mostly made up of writers who steal other's ideas and murder to further their careers. Anthony Boucher was a big fan of the book when it was first published. I thought it was one of the best detectivenovels I ahve ever read about Hollywood. Reviewd on my blog here:

                                      <http://prettysinister.blogspot.com/2012/07/ffb-ghost-wanted-finlay-mcdermid.html>

                                      Speaking of Boucher -- Wasn't THE CASEOF SOLID KEY set in Hollywood? (just checked, it is, but it's more a theater mystery with movies only mentioned peripherally) I know TCOT BAKER STREET IRREGULARS is about moviemaking but of all Boucher's books I can't stand that one. Tried to read it three tiems and never made it through. Odd because I like all the other Fergus O'Breen mysteries.

                                      John