Re: [GAdetection] Midsomer Murders

  • Mike Detlefsen
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 28, 2013
      Curt-

      I'm not sure I can give a satisfactory answer to that. There are a number of episodes that have stuck in my mind for one reason or another, but I couldn't tell you what season they were in. I *can* say that IMO the last one or two seasons haven't had the impact of the earlier ones due to cast changes. I don't think there is a single actor in the current seasons that was in the first five or six seasons, IIRC. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go for seasons 1-6 (plus the pilot) as ones I would re-watch for sure. I can't ever recall seeing a bad episode in the entire series, though some of the mystery solutions may have been a bit too easy. It may be a bit like reading Nero Wolfe stories in that the interplay amongst the various characters and smart dialogue makes you overlook any possible plot inadequacies. I think there have been 15 series so far, the last two without the original actors (I think).

      The series has always had extremely high production values and outstanding actors, both regular cast and guests. Also great music. The scenery is gorgeous. I keep meaning to work out an arrangement of the main theme for classical guitar waltz, but haven't got to it.

      I think that this week-end I'll dig out the boxed set of some random early episodes that I bought (before I found out there were 90+ episodes) and watch them, now that the subject has come up.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
        I liked the first five or six seasons mostly because of the beautiful
        landscapes - say what you will about the show but it is a terrific ad for
        the British countryside! Then plots became repetitive, far-fetched (even
        for me!) and unfair, and I quit.

      • Vicki
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
          I watched them and enjoyed them for the scenery and the characters. But the latter plots really strained even fictional credulity.

          Still...I watch them whenever I can. Lol

          Vicki

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Xavier Lechard <lechardxavier@...> wrote:

          > I liked the first five or six seasons mostly because of the beautiful
          > landscapes - say what you will about the show but it is a terrific ad for
          > the British countryside! Then plots became repetitive, far-fetched (even
          > for me!) and unfair, and I quit.
          >
          > Friendly,
          > Xavier

        • Mr Molesack
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
            To be fair, I think that the series has never strained for credibility, which is one of the reasons that I like it. A lot of crime series do seem to be trying to be 'serious drama' rather than simply entertainment. MM couldn't care less. In the one most recently shown, the murderer was offing people using a 'cheese' theme (beaten to death with a giant round of cheese, garotted with cheese-wire, stabbed with cheese-needle). Hardly police procedural. What is even better, the actors are good enough to take it all absolutely seriously.

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Vicki <treasurednotions@...> wrote:

            > I watched them and enjoyed them for the scenery and the characters. But the latter plots really strained even fictional credulity.
            >
            > Still...I watch them whenever I can. Lol
            >
            > Vicki
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Xavier Lechard <lechardxavier@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I liked the first five or six seasons mostly because of the beautiful
            > > landscapes - say what you will about the show but it is a terrific ad for
            > > the British countryside! Then plots became repetitive, far-fetched (even
            > > for me!) and unfair, and I quit.
            > >
            > > Friendly,
            > > Xavier

          • Monica Van oostrom
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
              Decent, yes, Twee, no.

              I enjoy this series, but am still in two minds about the "new" Barnaby, so suggest you start with the older ones.

              As others have said, the acting and the scenery are both great.  Sometimes the slowish pace lulls me into missing some hints and clues, but that is entirely my own fault :)

              Monica

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
                I never liked the TV series much, because it changed so much from the original books by Caroline Graham, and I love those. All her humour went, the characters became bland, and so on -- not unusual in TV adaptations, I admit, but a great disappointment. Only Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe fared worse in being translated to TV IMO.

                Meredith

                Award-winning author of TREASON and LOVE'S WILL
                Published by Endeavour Press, UK (www.endeavourpress.com)

                  and available from all online retailers.
                Director of "Between Us" Manuscript Assessment Service
                (www.betweenusmanuscripts.com)

              • ayeaye2007
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                  I loved the series and have seen almost all of the DVD's of the many seasons---obtained from my library, mostly through inter-library loans. Haven't seen the latest 2012, 2013 shows, since not available at the libraries in my area, yet.

                  Yes, the scenery is amazingly attractive, in most of the shows. But my very favorite show is "Last Year's Model". Start with that one, if you can find it through your library or inter-library loans. Good story, well paced. Really enjoyed it. The very first, "The Killings at Badger's Drift" one left me a bit shaken, so maybe if you are at all delicate, like me, skip it. Not necessary for any sort of continuity.

                  You might also be interested in this link, which allows you to click on the various shows, and see links to many of the locations, with charming, not twee, in my opinion, locations, homes, etc.
                  http://www.midsomermurders.org/mainepisodeguide.htm
                • Denfil
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                    Unfortunately the link did not see a complete description of the series (very little information, I would like to find all the series subtitles
                  • Denfil
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                      Unfortunately the link did not see a complete description of the series (very little information, I would like to find all the series subtitles
                    • Last Century Detective
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                        MIDSOMER MURDERS was one of the first detective series I began to watch after discovering BAANTJER, alongside MORSE, DALZIEL & PASCOE, POIROT, HETERDAAD (a Belgium police-series), KOMMISSAR REX, DERRICK (German krimi's) and a few others, but MIDSOMER MURDERS was one my favorite series for a long time.

                        They were basically modern Agatha Christie's to me at the time! I remember especially liking "The Killings at Badger's Drift (the Rainbirds! and the only of the first season I liked), "Death Shadows," "Ring Out Your Dead," "Straw Woman" and "The Ghosts of Christmas Past." A couple of years ago, I re-watched "Blue Herrings," set at a retirement home, and it's just fun to try and spot all the GAD books the characters were reading. I remember spotting a few Nicholas Blake's and the backside of Ellery Queen's THE AMERICAN GUN MYSTERY (Green Penguin) towards the end. That one is worth (re)watching just for that alone!

                        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Denfil" <denfil@...> wrote:

                        > Unfortunately the link did not see a complete description of the series (very little information, I would like to find all the series subtitles

                      • Last century Detective
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                          Well, it seems something went wrong with
                          sending out the previous email, so we'll try again. I finally tackled another
                          one of Kay Cleaver Strahan's locked room mysteries, DEATH TRAPS, which was a
                          huge improvement over its predecessor, FOOTPRINTS.
                           Full
                          review: <http://moonlight-detective.blogspot.com/2013/03/trouble-next-door.html>

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                            Of course, that lost post turns up the moment I hit "send."

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 3, 2013
                              Not sure what you mean, Denfil, by the "complete description of the series" and "subtitles"......it is early Sunday morning as I type this and maybe my brain needs more caffeine,...but maybe this link will help:

                              http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118401/?ref_=sr_1

                              If it doesn't work, just go to www.imdb.com and enter Midsomer Murders. Then click on the year to see all the episodes, titles, and a brief synopsis.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 3, 2013
                                but since there are no subtitles to each series
                              • ayeaye2007
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 4, 2013
                                  Not to belabor this, but WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
                                  "Subtitles to each series"...what the heck does that mean?

                                  If you go to the imdb.com link I sent, you can click on the year or series, see all the " titles" in that series, and if you click on that title, it will take you to a page that lists the names of actors in each part, a brief synopsis, etc.....scroll down the page for that information.

                                  Hope that helps.....just not sure what you want or are looking for.
                                  Sorry of I sounded a bit brusque...maybe need coffee again.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 4, 2013
                                    Oh, it has just occurred to me that you might be making a joke, referring to the need for a translation at the bottom of the page, to translate British-speak to American-speak. HA HA HA
                                    If that is what you meant, you will be happy to learn that episodes from the later years, from about 2005, not sure when, do indeed allow you the option of turning on "CAPTIONS" at the bottom of the screen.
                                    Actually that does help, at times, when they mumble just a tad.

                                    --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "ayeaye2007" <ayeaye2007@...> wrote:

                                    > Not to belabor this, but WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
                                    > "Subtitles to each series"...what the heck does that mean?
                                    >
                                    > If you go to the imdb.com link I sent, you can click on the year or series, see all the " titles" in that series, and if you click on that title, it will take you to a page that lists the names of actors in each part, a brief synopsis, etc.....scroll down the page for that information.
                                    >
                                    > Hope that helps.....just not sure what you want or are looking for.
                                    > Sorry of I sounded a bit brusque...maybe need coffee again.
                                    >

                                    > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Denfil" <denfil@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > but since there are no subtitles to each series

                                  • Arcto Wizard
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 11, 2013
                                      http://www.acornmediauk.com/

                                      You can subscribe to a newsletter all about Midsummer Murders and the dvds
                                      by going to this page and entering your details

                                      Alison