Re: William Desmond Taylor

  • Jeffrey Marks
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2013
      Mike,

      Erle Stanley Gardner wrote a piece on Taylor for The LA Murders,
      edited by none other than Craig Rice :)

      Jeff

      --
      Jeffrey Marks
      www.jeffreymarks.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
        Jeff noted:
        > Erle Stanley Gardner wrote a piece on Taylor for The
        > LA Murders, edited by none other than Craig Rice :)

        I've read that piece, and while it's not a *fatal* flaw that would
        keep me from recommending it, ESG points out several times in it the
        article was written by just reading the accounts in the newspapers. I find
        that very limiting to its comprehensiveness.

        Mike Blake
      • Jeffrey Marks
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
          Mike

          Also some of the main characters were still alive when it was written.
          Gardner, ever the lawyer, walked very cautiously around the case to
          ensure he stayed on the good side of the libel laws. That might
          explain in part why he relied on newspapers, since he would only be
          quoting existing sources, rather than be stating his own opinions.