Re: [GAdetection] Charles Williams [was Re: A vote of thanks...]

  • curt evans
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4 9:57 PM
      One and the same. As I recollect 278 books are reviewed from 1931 to 1935. Sounds like I should review it on the blog. I read it like eight years ago. Todd Downing barely edged him out, with 286 books reviewed, between 1930 and 1937.

      They are both good collections, the reviews are longer too. Judge Lynch (William C. Weber) had those capsule reviews in Saturday Review down to a fine art, but he was limited to about forty words a title.

      Its rather amazing to think the Dashiell Hammett and Dorothy L. Sayers book reviews have never been collected. There was supposed to be a book of the Hammett reviews, but it never appeared.

      Curt

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5 9:52 AM
        Let it be added to the record that William C Weber was one of the early members of the Baker Street Irregulars and is seen in the 1946 BSI dinner picture along with both Queens, Anthony Boucher, Howard Haycraft and Manly Wade Wellman-- got to be over a dozen Edgars sitting right there. Weber's favorite review was one in which the comment was "See Title" The books title was "Dreadful Hollow". I suspect this was a case of the irresistible temptation since the Times and other reviewers were kind to the book