'The Ha-Ha Case' (1934)

  • miketooney49
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2013
      THE HA-HA CASE. By J. J. Connington.
      Hodder & Stoughton. 1934. 7s 6d.

      [a.k.a. THE BRANDON CASE]

      "... the flaws did not destroy my enjoyment, because I
      find Connington's ambitious and sometimes unorthodox
      approach to be rather admirable. He was trying to do
      something different, yet play fair with the reader, and
      these are excellent aims for a writer of traditional
      mysteries."
      -- Martin Edwards, 'Do You Write Under Your Own Name?'
      -- http://tinyurl.com/avn7y8r

      "One of the best Conningtons .... The plot is excellent."
      -- Nick Fuller, GAD Wiki
      -- http://tinyurl.com/awblk3a

      -------------------

      The Murder Room (part of the Orion Group)
      has scheduled a paperback reprint of 'The
      Ha-Ha Case' for 1 February 2013:

      http://tinyurl.com/bpoxl9h [Amazon.com page]

      They already have 7 other Conningtons in print:

      http://tinyurl.com/cvzwbgj

      -------------------

      See also:

      http://tinyurl.com/armw2zs [GAD Wiki]

      http://www.unz.org/Author/ConningtonJJ
    • Allen Askew
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
        Hi,
        Murder room publishers have/are supposed to have reprinted around 20 Connington books,( paperback included)of which 6 were due to be available from January 8th. I have ordered mine through Amazon, but have not heard about when they are to be available or future ones.

        Cheers,
        Allen

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
          Its also praised in Masters of the Humdrum Mystery. When youve finished reading your Conningtons on Kindle, dont forget Masters is available on Kindle too and one of the four chapters is solely on Connington!

          Curt

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
            Allen, the books are available on the Kindle store. But when you look at sites like The Book Depository, the books are listed as unavailable for reasons I cannot fathom. But if you look them up on Bookfinder you'll find editions floating around on some other sites.

            Some more Conningtons, including this one, are due to be released on February 5th if The Book Depository is to be believed.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
              Hi,
              I think they are the same dates that murder rooms have listed as being available. According to them they are releasing 10 Connington books beginning of February, with 1 in March and 3 in April, plus the 6 i January?
              I am not a kindle person myself, much prefer books, I will chase up amazon to see if they can advise.

              these are Paperback versions by the way.

              Best,
              Allen

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                I prefer book as well, but own a Nook tablet. Will these Conningtons be Nookified also? Praps I can read the Kindle versions on the 'Android' side of my Nook...why does it need to be so difficult to obtain these great old books?
                Cheers,
                Brad

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                  Brad,
                  It is frustrating at times, and can be quite expensive. I have no idea about Nook or such like, I am sticking to paperbacks until the bitter end. There are some publishers who are re-printing out of print titles, which is great, but wish there was a lot more, there have been  many author's I was not aware of, that have been bought to my attention by this brilliant group, my TBR pile is currently around 265 and growing...........

                  Best,
                  Allen.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                    Brad:

                    You may already be aware of it, but Calibre can convert most ebook formats to whatever format you use. I convert a lot of files to epub for my reading. Some convert better than others, but I'm sure you could convert things to Nook's format.

                    Bob

                    ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2013
                        Curt,
                        I just checked my order through Amazon again and they definitely state paperback, I have emailed murder room to see if they can shed some light on the delay.

                        best,
                        Allen

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 5, 2013
                          Good luck, Allen; I hope you get through. I have tried emailing them but get only error messages letting me know that delivery has failed.

                          Meantime, I placed an order for THE HA-HA CASE via Blackwell's, and it seems to have gone through although I'm being told it won't be shipped until the 15th.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                            Hi,
                            Yes I got the same message, however amazon have just updated on the release dates, now moved some July and some November

                            Allen

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                              I asked Orion Crime via Twitter (a social platform I really don't understand) when we can expect the next batch, and the answer was July. A bit of a shame but at least we'll still be getting them.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 16, 2013
                                I was under the impression that all of the future Murder Room reissued books were only eBooks. My extensive reading of Orion's website led me to believe that. I saw absolutely no mention of paperback editions anywhere. Can anyone please verify which ones will also be released as paperbacks?

                                Also, there are supposed to be a slew of Helen McCloy books released and I want to publicize that on my blog when it happens. Digital or real book -- I really don't care this time (though I would love a paperback edition of at least two titles). McCloy being reissued is a miracle as far as I'm concerned. Her best books have been out of print for over seventy years. A crime! I want to let my readers know her books are coming back.

                                John Norris

                                --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Patrick O <go_leafs_nation@...> wrote:

                                > I asked Orion Crime via Twitter (a social platform I really don't understand) when we can expect the next batch, and the answer was July. A bit of a shame but at least we'll still be getting them.
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Patrick O
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 17, 2013
                                  John, your best bet is to ask Orion Crime via Twitter or via e-mail. The Murder Room's email doesn't seem to be working. (I brought this to their attention via Twitter.)

                                  ________________________________

                                  --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Patrick O wrote:

                                  > I asked Orion Crime via Twitter (a social platform I really don't understand) when we can expect the next batch, and the answer was July. A bit of a shame but at least we'll still be getting them.

                                • Allen Askew
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
                                    John,
                                    I was interested to see your comments about Helen Mccloy books, I was unable myself to see any info on orion publishing, do you know which books yet or when.

                                    Best,
                                    Allen.