Re: Peter Straub on Raymond Chandler

  • Douglas G.
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
      The article about Carr in THE NEW YORKER around 1949 said that he hated the process of writing. Carr denied many points in the article (which I had to confirm independently) but he never commented about the hates-to-write matter.

      DG

      > I think Carr said the found the writing challenging, but he loved the
      > plotting. chandler of course was just the opposite.
      >

      > Curt
      >
      > Carr didn't like writing? It doesn't show in his best work.
      >
      > Friendly,
      > Xavier

    • curt evans
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
        Good writing is challenging. Jacques Barzun said no matter how many times you have written a page you can keep on improving it and hes right. When I was doing Clues and Corpses I even reworked many of the footnotes. Just actually writing Masters of the Humdrum Mystery took three years (Clues and Corpses was a quickie, collecting the source material and writing it only took one year).

        When you get something right, that really expresses what you wanted to say, its a great thing. But its not easy (it always amazes me when people think it is) and it can be something you burn out on at times. Anyone who has taught or taken a composition class can recall the dismay of some kids had when they were presented with that blank white lined page they have to fill with words.

        Carr must have had some passion for writing, I believe, or he couldnt have written books like The Burning Court or The Devil in Velvet. Even Freeman Wills Crofts, in books like Antidote to Venom, is trying to get a deeper artistic impression across with his writing in a book like, for example, Antidote to Venom. He didnt really have the writing skill to pull it off, but hes trying.

        For Chandler plotting was agony, but, contrary to whats often said, he took up the challenge.

        Curt

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
          It's often said that what makes a "real" writer is that he *has* to write,
          no matter how painful it may be. Carr seems to have felt that urge from an
          early age and for most of his career. When he no longer took
          pleasure/relief out of writing the quality of his book dropped and his
          final book was abysmal - just like Chandler's as it happens.

          Someone (NOT ME) should write a "45 Calibrations of John Dickson Carr".
          He's certainly worth it.